Topics

locked Calendar is live


 


On 11 November 2014 14:47, Laurence Taylor <g7mzh@...> wrote:
The "like" function can be part of it, but more importantly, there is a
significant difference between a Facebook-like setup (I'm inlcuding
Myspace, Twitter, Tumbler, &c), which is designed round short messages
and usually even sorter responses and only function when connected to
the respective web site, and discussion groups (Yahoo Groups, Google
Groups, MLM, &c), which are intended for long posts and equally long
replies, which may be read and written offline.

​Laurence,

I'm not a Facebook devotee and I far prefer lengthy prose to vestigial comments.

But I feel you do Facebook a disservice in lumping it together with Twitter and the like. I would dispute that it is designed around short messages - there appears to be no reasonable limit to the post length and lengthy treatises can be compiled and linked to posts using the Facebook Notes facility.
Moreover, if you post messages to the <mygroup>@groups.facebook.com address and turn on email notifications you can turn it into a fair copy of a list server.

Facebook has a bad image because of its more uncouth devotees - but it has attributes which may be ignored by the yobbos but are nevertheless there for use by the more "couth" of us.

From your email handle I presume you are involved with the amateur radio fraternity - I'm involved with groups of engineers and I can assure you that Facebook is quite popular once they become familiar with its rather different UI and overcome their innate prejudice.

regards,
Ian



--


Laurence Taylor
 

On 11/11/2014 20:56, Ian Gillis wrote:

​Laurence,

I'm not a Facebook devotee and I far prefer lengthy prose to vestigial
comments.

But I feel you do Facebook a disservice in lumping it together with Twitter
and the like. I would dispute that it is designed around short messages -
there appears to be no reasonable limit to the post length and lengthy
treatises can be compiled and linked to posts using the Facebook Notes
facility.
True; FB will do long messages, but you rarely see them. Twitter frankly
I don't see the point.


Moreover, if you post messages to the <mygroup>@groups.facebook.com address
and turn on email notifications you can turn it into a fair copy of a list
server.
I didn't know that! I do have email notification, and it says on it "to
respond reply to this email" but when I tried it it didn't work.

The trouble with Facebook groupsis that you can't create one without
providing members, so testing is a bit difficult.

Facebook has a bad image because of its more uncouth devotees - but it has
attributes which may be ignored by the yobbos but are nevertheless there
for use by the more "couth" of us.

From your email handle I presume you are involved with the amateur radio
fraternity - I'm involved with groups of engineers and I can assure you
that Facebook is quite popular once they become familiar with its rather
different UI and overcome their innate prejudice.
You presume correctly :-)

I'm a member of several tech-related FB groups, but the vast majority
seem to be fairly trivial. Maybe I should try starting a seriouis one!

--
rgds
LAurence
<><


Nightowl >8#
 

I know it's an old message but I HAD to reply to this:

David P. Dillard wrote on 11/10/14:>>There is also another matter to consider here when making comparisons with matter to consider here when making comparisons with Yahoo Groups, Google Groups and Facebook. When is the last time you saw the owner of any of these corporations posting how to use these groups information daily, answering questions and so forth. This is not duplicated in any other group service. The user is basically on their own.<<

AMEN TO THAT!

As the organizer and founder of the Yahoo Crusade of 2013-2014, ---2015? I completely appreciate the fact that we not only have a beta testing area to work in, but that we have a compassionate, caring and open-minded individual such as Mark, to help us rebuild or salvage so much of what we have lost.

When Yahoo upended Classic Groups, we had no warning. People were caught so off guard, lost archives, photos, some lost whole groups. No one cared. When we begged to just let us go back into Classic and retrieve our archives, photos, and other data, and then we would leave forever, never to complain again, we were still denied that.

Maybe many people did learn that archiving is important, but I still believe that Yahoo was completely wrong in blindsiding so many people, many of them handicapped, the way that they did. So someone like Mark, who is willing to listen to us, modify things, tweak this or that, is a God Send.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post I just read that it would be hard to populate this site without seeding groups. I completely disagree. Just tell the thousands and thousands of Yahoo Group users that it is here. That's all it would take. And since I have just now discovered this on January 9th, 2015, that is exactly what I intend to do. Just give me a little time, as my elderly parents tend to take up a lot of it!

We posted once, on the Yahoo Crusade blog, "If you code it, we will come:

"https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/if-you-code-it-we-will-come/

He's coded it. We've discovered it, and trust me....we'll come.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#
Yahoo Crusade Leader
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/modsandmembers/conversations/messages









David P. Dillard
 

First of all, I took a look at your Yahoo Groups shipwreck page and it is very interesting.

You mention use of groups by people with disabilities. As a result of a lawsuit against Penn State on the issues of web accessibility, colleges are industriously making their web pages accessible. I have quite a few research guides made private until redone in accessible formats, all created before this was an issue. We were also admonished of a tool on Mozilla called the Wave test. I use this regularly. I just tested two group vendors, Yahoo had twelve accessibility errors on the page I tested. Nabble had 40 accessibility errors, a list on JISC using Listserv had four. Groups IO had one error and this would pass if it was on Temple University web space. In short, Groups IO may be the most accessible discussion group server out there, there are others I did not test as I just wanted members to be aware of this added benefit of Groups IO.

Everyone have a great week.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015, Feathered Leader wrote:

I know it's an old message but I HAD to reply to this:
David P. Dillard wrote on 11/10/14:>>There is also another matter to consider here when making comparisons with matter to
consider here when making comparisons with Yahoo Groups, Google Groups and Facebook. When is the last time you saw the owner
of any of these corporations posting how to use these groups information daily, answering questions and so forth. This is not
duplicated in any other group service. The user is basically on their own.<<
AMEN TO THAT!
As the organizer and founder of the Yahoo Crusade of 2013-2014, ---2015? I completely appreciate the fact that we not only
have a beta testing area to work in, but that we have a compassionate, caring and open-minded individual such as Mark, to help
us rebuild or salvage so much of what we have lost.
When Yahoo upended Classic Groups, we had no warning. People were caught so off guard, lost archives, photos, some lost whole
groups. No one cared. When we begged to just let us go back into Classic and retrieve our archives, photos, and other data,
and then we would leave forever, never to complain again, we were still denied that.
Maybe many people did learn that archiving is important, but I still believe that Yahoo was completely wrong in blindsiding so
many people, many of them handicapped, the way that they did. So someone like Mark, who is willing to listen to us, modify
things, tweak this or that, is a God Send.
Someone mentioned in an earlier post I just read that it would be hard to populate this site without seeding groups. I
completely disagree. Just tell the thousands and thousands of Yahoo Group users that it is here. That's all it would take. And
since I have just now discovered this on January 9th, 2015, that is exactly what I intend to do. Just give me a little time,
as my elderly parents tend to take up a lot of it!
We posted once, on the Yahoo Crusade blog, "If you code it, we will come:
"https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/if-you-code-it-we-will-come/
He's coded it. We've discovered it, and trust me....we'll come.
Brenda
Nightowl >8#
Yahoo Crusade Leader
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/modsandmembers/conversations/messages


Nightowl >8#
 

Did you just look at the "shipwreck" post or did you check out the blog itself? We have been working to get the attention of stockholders, media and advertisers about what Yahoo has been doing since August of 2013.

A couple times we got a story done, but it was never in a big enough location to hit mainstream media. I've written over 100 reporters, 100 advertisers, and countless other investors and stockholders. We were trying to get Yahoo to see the light and change back to what worked.

I was about to throw in the towel a few days ago, give up on the crusade, because I told Bonaforte I would NOT wait 2 years...but Mark came to the rescue, and maybe we can move and flee Yahoo after all instead of remaining stuck there with all the broken issues and failures.

Here is a URL for the blog index, if you or anyone else wants to check it out.https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/index/

It was a labor of love, a fight dutifully fought with passion and hope. Having been the one who helped save Classic Groups back in 2010, I thought maybe I could do it again...and so did everyone else. I was feeling like I had let them down, but part of our plan was also to find somewhere else to go, and it seems I have possibly done just that. Hmmm wonder if the media would be interested in THAT.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#


 

Brenda - Personally, I'd err on the side of caution. It might be wiser to not draw attention until most people are safely in a new harbor. Yahoo could cause a lot of problems if a mass exodus was brought to their attention. I think of this a little like an escape from a prison camp, but that's just the survivor in me. :-)

Dano


Nightowl >8#
 

David,

Forgot to mention that the "shipwreck" in that graphic is actually depicting the S.S. Yatanic. It also had a poem with it, both in 2010 and in 2013. The 2010 poem is actually what finally got the attention of the media and eventually of V.P. of communications, Jim Stoneham.

You can view those here:

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/yatanic-iceberg-dead-ahead/

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/87/
(That one's called Yatanic, Iceberg! Now we're sinking!" I don't know why it's not in the URL, Suz is my Wordpress Guru.)

Both poems also tell the story of how I saved Classic Groups once and how our fight was going the second time.

Another place with a good history summary of our fight to check out is "For the Press"
https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/for-the-press-2/

That reminds me, I need to get that updated soon.

Gotta go off awhile, back soon!

Brenda




Nightowl >8#
 

Don't worry Dan, that would be foremost on my mind. We've warned Yahoo over and over that there might soon come a mass exodus though, and they have ignored us and not cared.

I won't do anything stupid, I promise. :) Plus, I wouldn't do anything regarding media without discussing it with Mark and getting his opinion. And the only reporter I was thinking about was my personal AP guy friend. ;) Not the entire world of media.

And believe me, I get the survivor concept...100%.

Brenda


Nightowl >8#
 

Okay, I'm up here at the car place on my laptop (trying out their new wifi counter)

Dan, I thought some more about this,  (contacting the media), and here are my thoughts:

1. Yahoo has pretty much done everything it can to us. It's already broken groups, screwed up mail, and lost many people's archives and data.The only thing they can try to do to us would be refuse to let us leave a group or delete a group. However, that didn't stop anyone before, because they may be able to prevent us from deleting groups or "leaving them"  but they can't really keep us there.

2. I already put the word out on Twitter about this place when Mark gave me the green light the other day, and I have a bunch of reporters that follow me. I don't think they will pay much attention to us now as they weren't doing it before. Plus there is the post on the Blog, where reporters & etc. have been directed for over a year.

3. Mark needs people to populate his groups, and a story in the media might really help, I have a couple particular special reporters that might consider mentioning it. And two of them did a story about our plight, but no one cared in mainstream media,

4. If we DID get a story out in mainstream media, I think it would only help our cause, not hurt it. Yahoo can either fix things and let us keep what we had, (which is no longer likely), or let us leave. I don't think there is much else they can do except delete groups completely, and I think they are headed there anyway.

What are your thoughts?

And Mark, if you want us to move this discussion topic to MMSanctuary, we can. Just let me know.

Brenda



 

Hi Brenda,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

And Mark, if you want us to move this discussion topic to MMSanctuary, we can. Just let me know.


I completely support what you all are doing and am flattered at the passion you have shown. But I'd like to keep Beta focused on Groups.io features and how I can improve the service..

Thanks!
Mark


Nightowl >8#
 

Hi Mark,

That's why I wasn't sure if the archives discussion belonged in here or in MMSanctuary. And I wasn't sure if you were okay with me talking to the media about Groups.io. If I could get it done for you, would you be okay with someone doing a story about it?

I do know my updates need another place, as my group is used to them from me, but I'm working on figuring out how to make another group where they can go read those. Can a sub-group be public archives??

Also, is there actually message quoting enabled yet? If there is, I can't find it when I do my reply.

Thanks,

Brenda





 

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

That's why I wasn't sure if the archives discussion belonged in here or in MMSanctuary. And I wasn't sure if you were okay with me talking to the media about Groups.io. If I could get it done for you, would you be okay with someone doing a story about it?

No worries. And sure, I'd be happy to talk to the media. I do appreciate any and all evangelizing the service! 

I do know my updates need another place, as my group is used to them from me, but I'm working on figuring out how to make another group where they can go read those. Can a sub-group be public archives??

Subgroups cannot have public archives. I don't remember the specific reason I did it that way, although I can see some confusion if a parent group has private archives but the subgroup has public archives.
  

Also, is there actually message quoting enabled yet? If there is, I can't find it when I do my reply.


There is not. It's on the todo list. :-)


Mark 


 


Agreed. That is a good point. Keep it less than obvious for now. Mark has much work to do (though how he can do it and read all these emails is a question I have <g>). Better for it to be all done than to have hordes of people here wanting to do this and that, getting upset and then dissing it. IMO. Like anything it will always be a work in progress but I think it isn't time yet.
 
Susan B
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 2:37 PM
Subject: [beta] Re: Calendar is live

Brenda - Personally, I'd err on the side of caution. It might be wiser to not draw attention until most people are safely in a new harbor. Yahoo could cause a lot of problems if a mass exodus was brought to their attention. I think of this a little like an escape from a prison camp, but that's just the survivor in me. :-)

Dano


Duane
 

I noticed this morning that when I look at an event, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get back to the place in the Calendar that I was looking at. It may be because I'm owner. I have to click on Calendar again, then click forward to where I was, if another month/week, etc.

Duane


 

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
I noticed this morning that when I look at an event, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get back to the place in the Calendar that I was looking at.  It may be because I'm owner.  I have to click on Calendar again, then click forward to where I was, if another month/week, etc.

I just fixed the breadcrumbs (links at the top of the page), so that at least they're a little consistent. Clicking the calendar doesn't get you back to the specific date you were looking at yet, I'll add that to the todo list.

Thanks,
Mark 


Duane
 

I think I found another glitch on the calendar. I set up an event for July, set reminders for 4 weeks and 8 weeks, and added it. When I clicked on the event, it had changed them to minutes. I also tried setting it to hours and days, but it still shows minutes when I go back in.

Duane


 

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:10 pm, Duane txpigeon@... wrote:

I think I found another glitch on the calendar. I set up an event for July, set reminders for 4 weeks and 8 weeks, and added it. When I clicked on the event, it had changed them to minutes. I also tried setting it to hours and days, but it still shows minutes when I go back in.

Good catch. Fixed!

Thanks, Mark


Duane
 

Another minor complaint. If I set an event for All Day, start on 1/29, end on 2/2, it only shows through 2/1 on the calendar. I may be looking at it wrong, but I would think it should include the end date.

Thanks,
Duane


 

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 10:43 am, Duane txpigeon@... wrote:

Another minor complaint. If I set an event for All Day, start on 1/29, end on 2/2, it only shows through 2/1 on the calendar. I may be looking at it wrong, but I would think it should include the end date.

Fixed!

Thanks, Mark


Duane
 

A couple of people on one of our groups (and I) have a concern. I have the Calendar set for "Subscribers can view and edit". Unfortunately, that means that someone could accidentally (or intentionally) change an event. If it's worth doing, I think it would be safer to only allow the originator or moderators to make changes to an existing event. I'm sure it can be done, just not sure if it's worth the effort. On the other hand, the current capability could be used as a sort of RSVP where attendees added their names to the event. Decisions, decisions...

Duane