moderated #bug Upload folder doesn't upload the folder. #bug

Mark Burlingame <kb9tvd@...>

Hello,

This feels like a #bug to me.  The Members Help page for files and folders suggests that one can upload a folder and the files within it:

Upload Folder Upload an entire folder and the files it contains (including any subfolders and their files). The folder structure will be preserved in the group.

From the wording, I expect the folder itself to be created, then its contents including file structure to be copied into it.  Instead, only the contents and subfolders upload into whatever groups folder happens to be selected at the time.  

I searched for commentary on this, but couldn’t find anything.  So:

If this behavior is as intended, the help should be changed to read something like:
Create a folder of the same name then, upload all the files in the folder, and any subfolders and their files into the new folder. The folder structure will be preserved in the group.

If the behavior should be as the help implies, then I believe there’s a #bug that needs to be fixed.

Thanks and best regards,
Mark Burlingame

Andy

I never tried it myself (until now), but I am pretty sure that it used to work the way it is described in the help description.  Therefore, I think it "broke" at some point recently, and it is a bug.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 03:32 AM, Mark Burlingame wrote:
From the wording, I expect the folder itself to be created, then its contents including file structure to be copied into it
I agree and this has caught me out a couple of times. It would be more helpful if it worked as described but given the simple workaround of selecting the folder first it may not be a high priority.

Regards
Andy

Andy

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 10:32 PM, Mark Burlingame wrote:
If this behavior is as intended, the help should be changed to read something like:
Create a folder of the same name then, upload all the files in the folder, and any subfolders and their files into the new folder. The folder structure will be preserved in the group.

I'm not sure that you meant to write it that way.  Currently it makes no attempt to preserve the folder structure.  On the contrary, the folder structure is destroyed, or lost.  So, if the current behavior is as intended, then the last sentence (above) should not be there.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 12:16 AM, Andy wrote:
Therefore, I think it "broke" at some point recently, and it is a bug.
My recollection is that it's always had some rough edges ( https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/34328513 ). I've personally never been able to get it to preserve the source directory structure, but others have been more successful. Never bothered to investigate why.

Regards,
Bruce

Andy

As I say, I never used it myself, before yesterday.  But I have seen the end result after others used it, and at least SOME of what it was supposed to be doing, did seem to work at that time, but not anymore yesterday.  But I'm no expert!

Andy

Andy, I did try an upload of a fairly simple folder with one subfolder containing two files.  The internal structure uploaded intact.

However, given Bruce's and your experience, I tried again with a more complex folder with several files in the "root", and three subfolders.  The upload flattened the entire structure -- no subfolders at all -- but all files were uploaded into the selected GIO folder.

One of the commenters in the link Bruce provided "would much rather see users zipping files together and uploading a zip file ...".  Understood, and great for archival storage, but cumbersome for files in active use.  

In any case, the feature seems to be not working consistently.  If it's to be kept, that should be remedied one way or another (IMO).

Mark B.

Andy

On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:46 AM, Mark Burlingame wrote:
Andy, I did try an upload of a fairly simple folder with one subfolder containing two files.  The internal structure uploaded intact.

Interesting.  I tried uploading a folder containing a handful of subfolders and some files in them.  Groups.io did not attempt to save any of the subfolders themselves.  It just uploaded the files in that tree, into the one folder that I was currently siitting in, in the group.  The entire folder structure was wiped clean.

So it is iffy at best, and inconsistent.

Andy

Marv Waschke

Has anyone checked if the behavior depends on the type of file system the folder is uploaded from? That could explain some inconsistency.
Best, Marv

Mine were all from a Mac running macOS 12.2.1 (Monterey) and was inconsistent.  Seemed to be more related to the complexity of the upload or possibly number of files.

Mark B.

Hi All,

The `Upload Folder` function should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 06:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It's interesting that when uploading a folder, I get an activity log entry for every file and subfolder uploaded but when I delete a folder, I just get a single entry about the deleted folder and nothing about the files and subfolders contained within it.

Regards
Andy

Andy

Wait --

I think the folder upload failed for a different reason.

I tried testing too many things at once.  One of the files in my folder structure (on my computer's disk) was an empty file (0 bytes).  Apparently. the presence of that one file, anywhere in the folder structure, was sufficient to prevent groups.io from accepting the folder for upload.  Groups.io returns with the message "! No files selected".  All because of the empty file in the folder structure on the disk.

Andy

Andy

This made me wonder whether it is useful having empty files, and empty folders.

In my experience, empty files are rare, but occasionally helpful.  Empty folders are helpful, as a place-holder that doesn't hold anything yet.

Groups.io doesn't handle either.  Well, it allows empty folders, but only by creating them on groups.io.  It won't allow you to upload an empty folder, either on its own or as part of a folder structure that you're uploading.

If a folder being uploaded contains an empty subfolder. groups.io just skips the empty subfolder.

If a folder being uploaded contains an empty file, groups.io aborts the entire upload and gives you a strange error message.

Andy

Andy

Back to other problems uploading Folders:

When a folder is uploaded, the message posted and sent to the group is wrong, the message sent to Moderators is wrong, and the Activity log information is partly wrong.  I uploaded a directory tree with 8 total files and some subdirectories in it.  The fact that there are subdirectories is not really relevant, but it is part of the problem too.  The message shows this:

The following files and folders have been uploaded to the Files area of the ...@groups.io group.

• /Temp/File1.txt
  • /Temp/File2.txt
  • /Temp/File1.txt
  • /Temp/File2.txt
  • /Temp/File1.txt
  • /Temp/File2.txt
  • /Temp/File1.txt
  • /Temp/File2.txt

All eight lines are wrong!  Not only do they look wrong, but each line is a link, and each link goes to a nonexistent file.

My test uploaded folder was named "New" and was uploaded into the "/Temp" folder, so all files end up in a subdirectory of /Temp, and some are more than one level down.  Here is what it should have looked like:

• /Temp/New/File1.txt
  • /Temp/New/File2.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/File1.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/File2.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/SubSub1/File1.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/SubSub1/File2.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/SubSub2/File1.txt
  • /Temp/New/Sub/SubSub2/File2.txt

and they should have links to match.

Lines in the Activity Log are partly incorrect.  The visible text in the log shows the same incorrect "/Temp/File1.txt" thing for all 8 files, but the links in the Activity Log appear to be correct, unlike the links in the messages.

My other complaint about it is that the messages do not show the folders that were created.  The Activity Log shows that the uploaded folder and its subfolders were created, but the messages to both the group and Moderators fail to show that any folder was created.

Regards,
Andy

Andy,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 9:24 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Back to other problems uploading Folders:

When a folder is uploaded, the message posted and sent to the group is wrong, the message sent to Moderators is wrong, and the Activity log information is partly wrong.  I uploaded a directory tree with 8 total files and some subdirectories in it.  The fact that there are subdirectories is not really relevant, but it is part of the problem too.  The message shows this:

The notification messages and activity log entries should now show the correct file paths.

In terms of empty folders, it looks like the browser (Chrome at least) doesn't send empty directories to me, so I don't believe there's anything I can do about that.

As for the file limit, I'm still investigating that.

Thanks for helping debug all this.

Mark 

Andy

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 11:19 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
As for the file limit, I'm still investigating that.

Mark,

There is not a file limit.  I was mistaken when I thought it was limited to 8 files.  What made the upload abort, was that one of the files was empty.  An empty file anywhere in the folders causes the upload to abort.  The error message doesn't help.

Andy

Andy

Here is a corrected version of a message I posted here two days ago.  I will delete the original message, to avoid confusion in the future.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 03:27 PM, Andy wrote:
On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 01:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

Uploading Folders does not work, sometimes.

I just tried uploading a folder structure as an experiment.
  1. I clicked +New/Upload.
  2. I selected Upload Folder.
  3. I navigated to the folder I wanted to upload and selected it and clicked Upload in the Windows nav. pop-up.
  4. A new pop-up window appears, asking me if I want to upload the 13 files and if I trust the site.  Choices are "Upload" or "Cancel".  I click "Upload"
  5. The groups.io Upload Folder window says "! No files selected" with a red outline - where it should list the folder I had selected.
  6. Clicking Add doesn't work, it just dismisses the window.

I repeated it with a different folder, and it worked.

So I went back to the first folder (in steps 1-6 above), and started deleting files from inside the folder structure, until it was down to 8 files.  Then it worked!

I INCORRECTLY thought it failed because there were more than 8 files.  But that was wrong.  That was not the cause.

The upload failed because one of the files, buried in the folder to be uploaded, was empty (0 bytes).  That, alone, causes the upload to fail, with the cryptic error message claiming that no files were selected.

There are other problems with folder uploads, which I will describe in another message when I have time.  But at the moment, this seems to be another bug.

Andy

Hey all, since I stirred this pot and got it good and bubbling, I figured I better drop by and say thanks, especially to Mark Fletcher for all your effort trying to get the feature to work as expected, and to Andy for the testing.  Much appreciated.  Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Mark Burlingame

Hi All,

The `Upload Folder` function should now continue to work even if there are empty files (which will be ignored).

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I tested this on my Mac running OSX 12.3 Monterey and it works as expected with Firefox and Edge.  However, with Safari (ver. 15.4) the folder structure is removed and flattened.  I'm guessing Safari is limiting visibility or access to the local structure somehow.  Or maybe it's something else.  I looked through the various system settings and Safari preferences, but found nothing obvious.  

Any thoughts?

Mark B.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 6:02 PM Mark Burlingame <kb9tvd@...> wrote:

I tested this on my Mac running OSX 12.3 Monterey and it works as expected with Firefox and Edge.  However, with Safari (ver. 15.4) the folder structure is removed and flattened.

Good catch. Safari is not sending us the path information. I did some Googling and didn't find anything mentioning this at all. So I'm puzzled. At least for now, I don't have a solution for Safari.

Thanks,
Mark 

Hi Mark, understood.  I’ll poke around as well.  Maybe Apple has some info.

Thanks,
Mark B.

On Mar 18, 2022, at 4:03 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 6:02 PM Mark Burlingame <kb9tvd@...> wrote:

I tested this on my Mac running OSX 12.3 Monterey and it works as expected with Firefox and Edge.  However, with Safari (ver. 15.4) the folder structure is removed and flattened.

Good catch. Safari is not sending us the path information. I did some Googling and didn't find anything mentioning this at all. So I'm puzzled. At least for now, I don't have a solution for Safari.

Thanks,
Mark 

Safari is not sending us the path information.
For what it's worth, it doesn't seem to be a problem for Dropbox or OneDrive.  Weird.  That makes me wonder if there's some permission issue or similar in Safari that's blocking the file structure from groups.io but not the others.  Could Norton 360 be interfering?

Regards,
Mark B.