moderated #bug unable to upload large files #bug

Dr. Afrin <drafrin@...>

Hello --

I'm the relatively newbie (~4 years) admin (of a single, relatively small Premium group) who's been guided by some helpful folks in the GroupModeratorsForum to post here this report of what seems to be a bug of some sort in groups.io.

I (and now at least one other GroupModeratorsForum member, too) have been experiencing a consistent inability to upload large (~300MB+) files to the Files section of our groups.

Smaller files (< ~200MB) upload fine.  There's some threshold between ~200MB and ~300MB, though, where the upload (at least for the 325MB zipfile I'm trying to upload) seems to run for a long time (in my case, roughly 15-30 minutes) and then loads a page with the path <groupURL>/editfiles that's 100% blank.  No error messages.  Just a blank .../editfiles page, after a long wait.  The other member of the GroupModeratorsForum who followed on my initial report in that forum, reported exactly the same behavior with a 314MB zipfile he tried to upload, too.  Another member, though, reported a successful upload of 349 MB file, but he didn't report what type of file he uploaded.

I've got a 1Gbps net connection (a speed test on a WiFi connection showed 500Mbps down and 20Mbps up) and have seen the problem happen in the middle of the day, in the evening, early in the morning, and on weekends and weekdays.  I'm on the U.S. east coast, where the other GroupModeratorsForum member who has seen the same problem is also located; I don't know what type of net connection the admin who got it to work successfully with his large file happens to be, but he indicated he's on the east coast, too, and said his upload completed in just 3 minutes at 5:00 a.m.

Happy to provide other info and run other tests as may be suggested to try to identify why this is happening to some users and not others.  In any event, given that the system gives no indication of upload progress, it would seem that there's opportunity to improve this aspect of the system to at least provide the user with a progress indicator of some sort (such as shown when uploading to Google Drive).

Thanks for listening.

-- Larry Afrin, M.D.
   drafrin@...

Dr. Afrin <drafrin@...>

Just wanted to close the loop on this #bug report,.  Having received no other replies/suggestions since my initial post on Sep 29, and with repeat attempts since then continuing to demonstrate the same problem with getting a blank .../editfiles page on attempting to upload a large file (> ~200MB), I worked around it by dividing my convenient large file into less convenient smaller ones no larger than about 130MB.  I appreciate the suggestions I received from a few upon initially posting this issue on the GroupManagersForum, but the bug remains, the false statement that uploads up to 500MB are supported remains, the opportunity to improve the upload feature by providing a progress meter remains, and this administrator has been disappointed by the (lack of) attention and support received from groups.io for this paid premium group.

-- LBA

Chris Jones

Did you see my response to your "final" post on this matter on GMF yesterday? (Nov 5th)

It concerned the use of Wi-Fi...

Chris 

On Sat, Nov 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Dr. Afrin <drafrin@...> wrote:

Just wanted to close the loop on this #bug report,. Having received no other replies/suggestions since my initial post on Sep 29, and with repeat attempts since then continuing to demonstrate the same problem with getting a blank .../editfiles page on attempting to upload a large file (> ~200MB), I worked around it by dividing my convenient large file into less convenient smaller ones no larger than about 130MB. I appreciate the suggestions I received from a few upon initially posting this issue on the GroupManagersForum, but the bug remains, the false statement that uploads up to 500MB are supported remains, the opportunity to improve the upload feature by providing a progress meter remains, and this administrator has been disappointed by the (lack of) attention and support received from groups.io for this paid premium group.
Apologies, your email slipped through the cracks. I have gone through
and fixed several issues with uploading large files and photos. The
size limit remains 100MG for files and photos uploaded to basic
groups. For premium groups, you should now be able to upload files up
to 2GB in size, and photos up to 1GB in size. I tested it by uploading
a 1.6GB movie to the Files section, and it worked fine.

The experience can still be improved, by adding a progress indicator
and making the upload process more reliable. Both of those will
require substantial work; but you should be able to upload large files
now.

Thanks,
Mark

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 03:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
For premium groups, you should now be able to upload files up
Mark -- Just a friendly reminder to update the page at https://groups.io/static/compare to reflect these new file size limits.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 5:49 AM Bruce Bowman <bowman46118@...> wrote:

Mark -- Just a friendly reminder to update the page at https://groups.io/static/compare to reflect these new file size limits.
Thanks, they've been updated.

Mark

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 12:30 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Mark -- Just a friendly reminder to update the page at https://groups.io/static/compare to reflect these new file size limits.
Thanks, they've been updated.
Mark -- I'm still confused.

You said that Premium groups now allow Photos up to 1 GB and Files up to 2 GB (ref: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/33934). But that's not what it says on the "compare" page. Only the Enterprise entries have been updated to these new limits. In fact, the max File size for Premium groups seems to have been reduced.

If that's what you really intended, that's fine with me...but I remain a little disconcerted.

Thanks,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 4:03 PM Bruce Bowman <bowman46118@...> wrote:

Mark -- I'm still confused.
Whoops, screwed up the columns. Fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark

Duane

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 02:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I tried a test this morning on a premium group and ran into a problem.  I suspect that the main difficulty is that I have limited bandwidth and uploads are at ~1Mbs.  After waiting ~an hour for a 375MB zip file to upload, I was taken to the maintenance page.  There's nothing shown in the activity log for dlsgroup.  I tried not to do much browsing while it was uploading, but did do a bit.

Thanks,
Duane

On Sun, Nov 13, 2022 at 7:42 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 02:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I tried a test this morning on a premium group and ran into a problem. I suspect that the main difficulty is that I have limited bandwidth and uploads are at ~1Mbs. After waiting ~an hour for a 375MB zip file to upload, I was taken to the maintenance page. There's nothing shown in the activity log for dlsgroup. I tried not to do much browsing while it was uploading, but did do a bit.
I guess I'm not surprised. There's more I can do to make uploads more
reliable, including being able to pause/resume them. On the todo list,
but I don't know when I can get to it.

Thanks,
Mark