moderated #bug Messages being truncated #bug

This was reported by people in my group and has been reported by other groups through the Group Manager's Forum, but I didn't see it here and wanted to report this. 

Messages sent through email seem to go through (so I am doing that here since my message was rejected on GMF because it was incomplete.) 

Messages created through groups.io are being truncated before they are posted.  Sometimes just a few words, but enough to be problematic. 

Is this the right forum to report this?

Janet Smith

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 07:14 PM, Janet Smith wrote:

Messages sent through email seem to go through (so I am doing that here since my message was rejected on GMF because it was incomplete.)

Messages created through groups.io are being truncated before they are posted. Sometimes just a few words, but enough to be problematic.

I was unaware of this and can't reproduce this. I'd appreciate any additional information you could provide, including pointers to truncated messages in archives, as well as any tips for how to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Mark

I can testify that signatures are being truncated in messages, both in original messages and in message edits. It just took me five or six tries to amend the bottom line of a group member's signature, both within an edit of her message and within the auto-sig itself after changing that. It kept losing the last four fifths of the last line. I finally got it to work by adding a blank line after the last one.

I just tested this in my test group: changed the third line of an auto-sig, posted a message, and the third line of the auto-sig was nearly gone and what was left of it was gibberish.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be huma

Mark,
Here's an example, which you can find in CatladysTestGroup.

Autosig reads:
test long signature
line 1 etc etc etc
line 2 etc etc etc
line 3 etc etc etc

Sig as appearing in posted message:
test long signature
line 1 etc etc etc<

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be huma

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:20 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I can testify that signatures are being truncated in messages, both in original messages and in message edits. It just took me five or six tries to amend the bottom line of a group member's signature, both within an edit of her message and within the auto-sig itself after changing that. It kept losing the last four fifths of the last line. I finally got it to work by adding a blank line after the last one.

I think I've fixed it. Can you try to reproduce it now?

Thanks,
Mark 

Looks fixed.
--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Pretty ironic (or self-referential?) I just noticed that my own signature in the message where I confirmed the bug was truncated. Fixed now. :)
--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:34 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Looks fixed.

Oof, sorry about that. I upgraded the library that encodes/decodes quoted-printable parts of emails, to fix some outstanding bugs parsing non-compliant messages. The API was the same, but the new version requires an additional call to prevent the truncating of messages. In my testing, before I pushed the new code, that didn't come up.

Thanks,
Mark 

Thanks, Mark.  I'm seeing complete messages and complete tag lines now.  Janet

From: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Thursday, August 5, 2021 8:43 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] #bug Messages being truncated

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 7:34 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Looks fixed.

Oof, sorry about that. I upgraded the library that encodes/decodes quoted-printable parts of emails, to fix some outstanding bugs parsing non-compliant messages. The API was the same, but the new version requires an additional call to prevent the truncating of messages. In my testing, before I pushed the new code, that didn't come up.

Thanks,

Mark 

<

Ann Wild

Mark,

I don't think the problem is fixed.  I just ran into this: We cannot get edits to a message to hold.  For example, when I just tried to fix a sender's last name in a message, the correction would not hold.  Her full name, in fact, had been deleted from the message that was sent in.  Yesterday, a name that was added did not come through when posted.  One time this morning we got the option after saving the edits to "Approve and Unrmoderate Senders."  Although Shai says we should have seen that all along, we have never seen it before.  We are fully moderated; the group is set up that way.  We moderate from the website.  Please help so we can resume posting.

Ann Wild

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM Ann Wild via groups.io <annlwild=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I don't think the problem is fixed.  I just ran into this: We cannot get edits to a message to hold.  For example, when I just tried to fix a sender's last name in a message, the correction would not hold.  Her full name, in fact, had been deleted from the message that was sent in.  Yesterday, a name that was added did not come through when posted.

Thanks for this example, I was able to go in, duplicate the problem and fix it. Sorry about that.

One time this morning we got the option after saving the edits to "Approve and Unrmoderate Senders."  Although Shai says we should have seen that all along, we have never seen it before.  We are fully moderated; the group is set up that way.  We moderate from the website.  Please help so we can resume posting.

This logic hasn't changed.

Thanks,
Mark