Topics

moderated Bug in displaying Banned Members #bug

Rick N

I'm a group owner of several groups and a moderator on others. I happened to be viewing member lists on a couple of groups and discovered one group I'm a moderator on had a problem when trying to display the Banned members.

There are 68 members in the group, with zero Bouncing members. When I clicked to view the Banned members, the button that should have said 'Banned' had no text on it, AND ALL 68 MEMBERS WERE LISTED.

It turned out that I did not have permission to Ban members.  When that was enabled, then the Banned member list display worked properly. Turning it back off caused the improper display again.

I suggest that if a moderator is allowed to view the member list, then they should be allowed at least a view-only capability of the Pending and Banned members. If an owner has chosen to ban someone, I'd like to be able to see who (their email address) in case they're also in my group.  Likewise, I'd like to be able to warn an owner about a prospective new member by being able to see who has applied to join that group.

Rick

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
I suggest that if a moderator is allowed to view the member list, then they should be allowed at least a view-only capability of the Pending and Banned members.
I would not like that to happen. There are some moderators in one of my groups who should have access to the members list but not the banned members list. I don't think all moderators should see pending members, either, unless they have permission to accept/reject members.

It should be possible to fix this issue without granting superfluous and (in some cases) undesirable viewing permissions.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 08:49 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
It turned out that I did not have permission to Ban members.  When that was enabled, then the Banned member list display worked properly. Turning it back off caused the improper display again.
I cannot recreate this problem. With my Moderator account, regardless of whether banning members is enabled, the membership list display options work fine. If there is a problem, I think it's a bit more involved than just having permission to ban members(or not).

Andy

Rick N

I tested it again, and it still has the problems I reported. 

If I am not allowed to Ban members, the Members button offers choices of Moderators, Bouncing, and Banned.  Selecting Banned causes the blue button to lose the alphabetical label and every member is listed.

If I am allowed to Ban members, the Members button offers choices of Moderators, Bouncing, and Banned.  Selecting Banned causes the blue button to display 'Banned' and there is no one listed, as expected.

Rick

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:38 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 08:49 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
I cannot recreate this problem. With my Moderator account, regardless of whether banning members is enabled, the membership list display options work fine. If there is a problem, I think it's a bit more involved than just having permission to ban members(or not).

Andy

Rick N

I'm curious behind your rationale for this position.  Is it due to the particular moderators you have in that one group? Why would it be acceptable for them to know who is currently a member, but not know who was either prevented from joining or removed for cause and blocked from rejoining?

I can certainly understand why a group owner/designated moderator limits who can approve, remove, or ban members, but why would even knowing who wants to join be restricted information?

I don't mean to be quarrelsome, just curious.  You're right that being able to finely tune the moderator's abilities would be best of all.

Rick

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:09 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:49 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
I suggest that if a moderator is allowed to view the member list, then they should be allowed at least a view-only capability of the Pending and Banned members.
I would not like that to happen. There are some moderators in one of my groups who should have access to the members list but not the banned members list. I don't think all moderators should see pending members, either, unless they have permission to accept/reject members.

It should be possible to fix this issue without granting superfluous and (in some cases) undesirable viewing permissions.

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:15 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
If I am not allowed to Ban members, the Members button offers choices of Moderators, Bouncing, and Banned.  Selecting Banned causes the blue button to lose the alphabetical label and every member is listed.
Can you share a screenshot of your moderator permissions? As yet, I haven't found a combination of Moderator permissions that gives me just Moderators, Bouncing and Banned when clicking the Members button.

Thanks,
Andy

Rick N

Sure thing.  Attached is a screenshot of my permissions on that group.  Without 'Ban users' permission, attempting to display users that are banned will cause the incorrect display noted.  Enabling it will allow it to display properly.

Rick

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 3:46 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 3, 2020 at 11:15 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
Can you share a screenshot of your moderator permissions? As yet, I haven't found a combination of Moderator permissions that gives me just Moderators, Bouncing and Banned when clicking the Members button.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 05:15 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
Sure thing.  Attached is a screenshot of my permissions on that group
Thanks. That set of permissions gives me Moderators, Bouncing, Banned and Past which wasn't mentioned before.  However, I can recreate the issue and I'd say it's definitely a bug. As you said, when the Ban Members permission is in effect, it works OK. Without the Ban Members permission you get this after clicking the Members option on the left side menu:

You will note that there are 4 other options, including Banned, on the drop-down.  If you select Banned here, then you see this:

Now there are 5 options and this time it also includes Members. It seems Groups.io knows that the selected option is not Members (so it now appears in the drop-down) but without the Ban Members permission, it will not display the Banned list. The result is the malformed button and it still shows the member list.

After further testing, I found it's possible to recreate this issue if either Set Member Subscription Options or Set Moderator Privileges is checked.  I'm sure Mark will be able to resolve this when he returns from holiday.

Regards,
Andy

Rick N

Andy,

I've never seen "Past" listed before.  Do you have a top-tier (paid) group?

Rick

On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 6:17 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 4, 2020 at 05:15 PM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
Sure thing.  Attached is a screenshot of my permissions on that group
Thanks. That set of permissions gives me Moderators, Bouncing, Banned and Past which wasn't mentioned before.  However, I can recreate the issue and I'd say it's definitely a bug. As you said, when the Ban Members permission is in effect, it works OK. Without the Ban Members permission you get this after clicking the Members option on the left side menu:

You will note that there are 4 other options, including Banned, on the drop-down.  If you select Banned here, then you see this:

Now there are 5 options and this time it also includes Members. It seems Groups.io knows that the selected option is not Members (so it now appears in the drop-down) but without the Ban Members permission, it will not display the Banned list. The result is the malformed button and it still shows the member list.

After further testing, I found it's possible to recreate this issue if either Set Member Subscription Options or Set Moderator Privileges is checked.  I'm sure Mark will be able to resolve this when he returns from holiday.

Regards,
Andy

Andy Wedge

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 03:27 AM, Rick Nakroshis wrote:
I've never seen "Past" listed before.  Do you have a top-tier (paid) group?
Yes, that would explain it.

Andy