moderated #bug First attachment doesn't show up in new topic #bug

Joanie

start a new topic. Press the paper clip (attachment). browse for the file on your laptop and select one. I've tried jpg and pdf file types. Then Add the attachment to the topic. The file information is not displayed below the text box for the message. If you do this operation twice then the file is displayed below the text box but when send the message you'll that both attachments are in the topic.

Not sure if this occurs on a reply to a topic when attaching a message.

Windows 10 64-bit running Chrome Version 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Bob Bellizzi

Just did exactly what you stated.  
For my test, the file name showed immediately after I completed the FIRST attachment.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Joanie

Very weird. I'll try to narrow it down.

Joanie

It only occurs when you don't have a subject or any message text prior to adding the attachment. If you have either a subject or some message text then it shows up.

This could explain why so many of my group members send duplicate attachments. 

On Jan 23, 2021, at 9:59 AM, Joanie <joanie.m.nightingale@...> wrote:

start a new topic. Press the paper clip (attachment). browse for the file on your laptop and select one. I've tried jpg and pdf file types. Then Add the attachment to the topic. The file information is not displayed below the text box for the message. If you do this operation twice then the file is displayed below the text box but when send the message you'll that both attachments are in the topic.

Not sure if this occurs on a reply to a topic when attaching a message.

Windows 10 64-bit running Chrome Version 87.0.4280.141 (Official Build) (64-bit)

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
I'm not arguing. I'm just explaining why I am right.

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Joanie

It seems very intermittent. I just tried again with subject only and it didn't show up. I tried to refresh my browser screen after I did the attachment but that did not help.

It manifests itself as sending two attachments with the message because if you don't see the first one then you try a second time. The second one shows up and then you press send and it sends a message with the duplicate attachment.

It's more of an annoyance but there may be an underlying problem that is larger. Not sure.

Joanie,

I was able to (more or less) consistently reproduce the error but with LARGE files only.

There seems to be some refresh-timing issue that causes this, I'll post a more detailed follow-up message with my test findings, they should help Mark pinpoint exactly where the problem is, but I had the same problem with > 9 Mb PDF, > 12 Mb TXT, and > 15 Mb or so JPEG; smaller sizes worked fine.

How large where the files you had problem with?  Have you tried it with smaller size and/or less-complex PDF?

Cheers,
Christos

Bob Bellizzi

Tried again and it still worked ok for me.
Both tries were with no subject and no body text.
What device r u using?  What browser, is the file local or in the cloud like dropbox,etc, etc?
I'm on a new Gamer PC this time and it worked.
the first test was on an HP PC Intel I7
Both are Chrome and my network is xfinity.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Joanie

Christos,

Mine was a 414KB pdf file. I attached it and it worked first time in the reply.

Bob,

Here's the system information. I already posted the browser and version in the first post.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-C2HGIFU
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 20BG0014US
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU LENOVO_MT_20BG
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2694 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO GNET61WW (2.09 ), 2/18/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 1.10
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
BaseBoard Product 20BG0014US
BaseBoard Version 0B98401 Pro
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.488"
User Name DESKTOP-C2HGIFU\john_
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.6 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.77 GB
Total Virtual Memory 17.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10.4 GB
Page File Space 1.64 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Hugs,

Joanie

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 05:00 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Tried again and it still worked ok for me
Bob, try again but with a 10+ Mb PDF file, see if it fails for you as well.

I can consistently reproduce the error with very large (PDF & TXT) files; I don't get it with smaller files (<~9 Mb)

Cheers,
Christos

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 05:19 PM, Joanie wrote:
Mine was a 414KB pdf file.
I tried it 3-4 times and works fine for me; only very large files cause the same problem to me. 

Are you saying this exact file you attached gave you the problem before? (but it worked fine this time?)

Cheers,
Christos

Dave Sergeant

Trying to send 10MB files via email is asking for trouble.

Dave

On 23 Jan 2021 at 14:43, Christos G. Psarras wrote:

Bob, try again but with a 10+ Mb PDF file, see if it fails for you as
well.

http://davesergeant.com

Doesn't matter for this testing, he doesn't have to actually send the message, he can discard it;  we're just testing the editor's AttachFile functionality.

Cheers,
Christos

On 2021-01-24 01:52, Dave Sergeant via groups.io wrote:
Trying to send 10MB files via email is asking for trouble.

Bob Bellizzi

I just tried an 11.97 megabyte file and, while it took a bit of time to show up in the big selection box it finally did.
I then clicked Add and again it took a bit of time but made finally made it and returned me to the text box and the filename was showing below the text box.
That was all  on this message but then I deleted the file from the message.
It was an old 4 page newsletter pdf from a Word mailmerge to about 1000 people.
One of the biggest text type files I ever produced.

BUT IT ALL WORKED OK!
--

Bob Bellizzi

Chris Jones

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 07:58 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I just tried an 11.97 megabyte file and, while it took a bit of time to show up in the big selection box it finally did.
An observation that might well provide a clue about the problem. I suspect that seeing this effect depends on two components: (a) the file size, and (b) the individual user's internet upload speed.

Unless I am much mistaken everything typed in a composition window is sent to Groups.io in real time, and what the sender sees is what has arrived at Groups.io, so that on completion all Groups.io has to do is act on the "reply" click. Now if something that is "typed" is a large attachment, Groups.io cannot acknowledge it immediately by announcing under the comp window, so a large attached file and a slow upload speed (for an undefined value of "slow") may mean that it will take several seconds (or in the worst case tens of seconds) for the attachment to be uploaded so the Groups.io can record its arrival.

Chris  

Joanie

I can reproduce the problem fairly consistently with these steps

1. select and add the file
2. if it shows up under the message text box, the remove it and go back to 1

Just repeat that loop for a few times, the longest it took for me was 3 times. file size does not matter.

when the file does not show up, I have tried a few things

- press the refresh circle on the browser to refresh the page with no effect
- waiting for a long time, minimize and maximize the browser, switching browser tabs has no effect
- if you don't see the file below the message text box and then send it, then you will see the file in the sent message

Bob Bellizzi

File size does matter.
It gives you a chance to hit buttons that are supposedly inactive but are actually active.
One should wait till an image of the file appears in the big box before clicking the Add button.
That's supposed to give you a chance to view the file a bit and be able to kill the upload if it really isn't the one you want.

I can pretty well guarantee that lots of systems puke when you start pushing controls in the middle of operations.
Maybe they shouldn't but patience is a virtue.  
Systems typically give you some kind of indication when a very lengthy operation is completed successfully. Hitting buttons prior to that is asking for trouble
Bob
--

Bob Bellizzi

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 9:59 AM Joanie <joanie.m.nightingale@...> wrote:

This should be fixed now. It was a timing issue. We upload the attachments to S3 and then query S3 for a list of attachments. But S3 hadn't finished whatever it needs to do. I've added a delay.

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark,

This should be fixed now. It was a timing issue. We upload the attachments to S3 and then query S3 for a list of attachments. But S3 hadn't finished whatever it needs to do. I've added a delay.
I suspect you may also have to similarly-tweak another part of the code in regards to attachments and S3; I was actually in the middle of writing that bug report when I read this and it clicked.

I take it you are also using calls to S3 to query and retrieve (and embed/attach) the in-line image/attachments when the Follow-Topic catch-up emailer code is invoked. 

All of a sudden*** the attached images in the FO catch-up messages, while correctly named as in the original mailing, are now nothing but a 212 to 214 byte (in my test case) gibberish-contents file. (I can attach/mail them offlist if you think it may help)

Cheers,
Christos

*** or at least I just noticed it while testing for another bug I also just found, in that same FO catch-up mailer area (to be submitted soon)

Mark,

All of a sudden*** the attached images in the FO catch-up messages
Just to clarify, I did not test it with FO catch-up messages with embedded images, only "real" attachments, but I suspect the same problem will happen with embedded images too, since you're kinda treating them as attachments as far as storage/pointers is concerned.

Seems S3 is not returning the actual file data in time or something, only the filename does.

Cheers,
Christos