moderated #bug event times in /feed are all 8 hours out #bug

Duane

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:36 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm not sure why you're seeing it in Central time if Duane's account is Pacific time.
No, I'm on Central time (verified setting) as I mentioned a bit earlier - https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/27918.

Duane

Duane,

Jan 19, 2021 00:05 This is the hashtag event #reminder
I have 24 hour time chosen, in case that makes any difference.
That would be correct if your account is Pacific time (UTC-0800).

The event is set at 2:05 am Central time (UTC-0600).
My normal account (UTC-0800) sees 12:05 am
an a test account (UTC-0500) sees 3:05 am

All correct. Unless I'm /very/ confused.

Mark,

I logged in as you and it appears as 02:05am in the feed, which
matches the event itself. If that's the event, are you still seeing
something different?
I'm not sure why you're seeing it in Central time if Duane's account is Pacific time. Maybe a weirdness in your test harness?

Shal

Duane

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is this the Shal's Test 'This is the hashtag test #reminder' event? I logged in as you and it appears as 02:05am in the feed, which matches the event itself. If that's the event, are you still seeing something different?
Yes, it is.  On the feed, I see

Jan 19, 2021 00:05 This is the hashtag event #reminder (linked of course)
I have 24 hour time chosen, in case that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Duane

Hi Duane,

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:45 PM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:57 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This has been fixed now.
Still not working here.  There's an event set for CST (which I'm on), but the feed is still showing PST (same for events set to PST)  I've tried Shift+Reload as well as CTRL+F5.

Is this the Shal's Test 'This is the hashtag test #reminder' event? I logged in as you and it appears as 02:05am in the feed, which matches the event itself. If that's the event, are you still seeing something different?

Thanks,
Mark 

Duane

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:57 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This has been fixed now.
Still not working here.  There's an event set for CST (which I'm on), but the feed is still showing PST (same for events set to PST)  I've tried Shift+Reload as well as CTRL+F5.

Duane

Hello,

This has been fixed now. You may need to do a force reload (hold down the shift key while clicking the browser reload button).

Thanks,
Mark

Malcolm Austen

Shal,

Can I trouble you to confirm whether (or not) you are still seeing this effect? I certainly am still seeing it.

I wonder whether there is anyone (outside PST) who is seeing the correct times in /feed ? If there is, then it would be useful to know it!

It may be on Mark's hit list of course and just waiting its turn .. ?

Keep safe, Malcolm.

Malcolm Austen

On 13/12/2020 02:08:27, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

> I can reproduce the effect though ...
> in a group with default user TZ set to UTC (I know that should not
> matter) with my TZ set to UTC I create a calendar event with TZ UTC to
> occur at 18:00 The event shows at 18:00 in the calendar but at 10:00
> in /feed

Well now I'm confused. Testing this after the report in GMF I couldn't
reproduce this. Now I can. I'm not sure what accounts for the change.
Malcolm Austen: 
I can Shal, possibly, so your observations may be a good clue.

Mark has 'fixed' that line in the javascript file. Now I'm no expert on javascript, and certainly not ion  how it works with objects but I assume that prior to the fix, no errors were being generated. Thus I think it is conceivable that the 'fix' has turned something that only affects some people or groups into something that now affects all people or groups.

As ever though, it's just a maybe.

Malcolm.
I did two things: I changed the group's Def Sub Setting to UTC, and I
created two new events. Changing the group's Def Sub Setting to EST
hasn't corrected the problem, so it seems not to be the issue. At least
not in a direct way.

Possibly the act of creating new events caused something to get lodged
(or dislodged) somewhere that causes my Feed page to now be shown in PST
regardless of my Account's timezone?

I have the same problem when my account time zone is EST: the group's
Upcoming Events list on the Feed page shows them in PST, whereas the
Your Calendar page and the group's Calendar page shows them correctly in
EST.

Another user account with PST timezone sees them in PST in all three places.

Shal

Malcolm,

I can reproduce the effect though ...
in a group with default user TZ set to UTC (I know that should not
matter) with my TZ set to UTC I create a calendar event with TZ UTC to
occur at 18:00 The event shows at 18:00 in the calendar but at 10:00
in /feed
Well now I'm confused. Testing this after the report in GMF I couldn't reproduce this. Now I can. I'm not sure what accounts for the change.

I did two things: I changed the group's Def Sub Setting to UTC, and I created two new events. Changing the group's Def Sub Setting to EST hasn't corrected the problem, so it seems not to be the issue. At least not in a direct way.

Possibly the act of creating new events caused something to get lodged (or dislodged) somewhere that causes my Feed page to now be shown in PST regardless of my Account's timezone?

I have the same problem when my account time zone is EST: the group's Upcoming Events list on the Feed page shows them in PST, whereas the Your Calendar page and the group's Calendar page shows them correctly in EST.

Another user account with PST timezone sees them in PST in all three places.

Shal

Malcolm Austen

On Sat, Dec 12, 2020 at 01:52 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
in a group with default user TZ set to UTC (I know that should not matter)
with my TZ set to UTC
I create a calendar event with TZ UTC to occur at 18:00
The event shows at 18:00 in the calendar but at 10:00 in /feed

If I create an event with TZ set to AWST (8 hours ahead of UTC) for 18:00
it shows in my calendar (TZ UTC) correctly as 12:00
Ooops, I meant "it shows in my calendar (TZ UTC) correctly as 10:00"

but in /feed as 02:00

If I change my (account) TZ to AWST,
that same event shows in my calendar as 18:00 (AWST)
but still appears in /feed as 02:00

Therefore I conclude that events shown in /feed always display in PST and make no adjustment for my (account) TZ setting.

Malcolm Austen

On 12/12/2020 04:48:36, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
At risk of making a fool of myself, I think I have spotted it as a bug in https://groups.io/js/displaytime-0.2.6.js
<snip>
should, I suspect, have that last line before the snip as                  momentDay = moment.tz(t,tzstr)
- that's what the matching line looks like in the other, similar functions in that file.

You might be right. I've been unable to reproduce the bug, try as I might. I've made the change to this line of code, please let me know if it fixes the problem for you. You may need to do a force reload; hold down the shift key while clicking the browser refresh button.
Malcolm Austen: 
Thanks Mark. I have tried refreshes galore (button and F5 with and without Shift and Ctrl) and also loaded it up in a browser that has had everything cleared and not visited groups.io before. That javascript change does appear not to have made any difference.

in a group with default user TZ set to UTC (I know that should not matter)
with my TZ set to UTC
I create a calendar event with TZ UTC to occur at 18:00
The event shows at 18:00 in the calendar but at 10:00 in /feed

If I create an event with TZ set to AWST (8 hours ahead of UTC) for 18:00
it shows in my calendar (TZ UTC) correctly as 12:00
but in /feed as 02:00

If I change my (account) TZ to AWST,
that same event shows in my calendar as 18:00 (AWST)
but still appears in /feed as 02:00

Therefore I conclude that events shown in /feed always display in PST and make no adjustment for my (account) TZ setting.

Keep safe, Malcolm.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...> wrote:
At risk of making a fool of myself, I think I have spotted it as a bug in https://groups.io/js/displaytime-0.2.6.js

function DisplayEventTime(t, tzstr, dateFormat, timeFormat) {
    if (t == 0) {
        return '';
    }
    if (typeof tzstr === 'undefined' || tzstr == '') {
        tzstr = '';
        momentDay = moment(t);
    } else {
        momentDay = moment(t).tz(tzstr);
<snip>
should, I suspect, have that last line before the snip as                  momentDay = moment.tz(t,tzstr)
- that's what the matching line looks like in the other, similar functions in that file.

You might be right. I've been unable to reproduce the bug, try as I might. I've made the change to this line of code, please let me know if it fixes the problem for you. You may need to do a force reload; hold down the shift key while clicking the browser refresh button.

Thanks,
Mark

Malcolm Austen

function DisplayEventTime(t, tzstr, dateFormat, timeFormat) {
    if (t == 0) {
        return '';
    }
    if (typeof tzstr === 'undefined' || tzstr == '') {
        tzstr = '';
        momentDay = moment(t);
    } else {
        momentDay = moment(t).tz(tzstr);
<snip>

Maybe ..? Or maybe I am way off.

Malcolm.

Mdivine <nextdoorsb@...>

I previously posted in managers forum and here. Ours off by an hour in feed. Arizona time. Which does not observe daylight savings time. 

mdivine

Malcolm Austen

I wonder whether there is a link between my observed effect and the first bugfix listed in Mark's 5th September changelist: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/26156

Malcolm.

Malcolm Austen

I think I have covered all possible option settings and searched adequately for past [beta] reports ...

Events show in the calendar display just fine but in the /feed display, they all show eight hours too early.

If I shift my timezone setting a few hours, the /feed display of events also shifts by those same few hours so it's not that they ignore the timezone settings.

I can't help feeling that it is significant that GIO-home-base is eight hours off from UTC, so maybe that part of the display code is adjusting the display correctly, but basing it on GIO-home-time rather than UTC.

I dare say there are other plausible explanations of this /feed display offset!

Does anyone else see their events listed with this offest? Indeed, does anyone see their events listed at the correct time?

This has been raised in [GMF], I'm trying to assist Christine in getting to the bottom of this puzzle. The messages there do suggest that this offset does not occur for everyone:

Thanks for any assistance - and apologies if I am missing something obvious!

Malcolm.

-- 
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>