#bug Database change reports do not contain the Row number of the change #bug

I reported this as a #notification a couple of weeks ago in GMF. It hot complete overwhelmed with comments that did not address the problem; it did not get resolved. I believe there was a response from Mark on it but I cannot find it anywhere. And I'd like to elevate this to a #bug report.

Owners/moderators getting a notice that someone has made a change/update in a database is an exceptional and beneficial feature, especially when a bunch of amateurs may be banging around in your database. Their 'help' is invaluable and save hours of research and entry, but...the notification message sent is incomplete.
I am making some changes to links in the Db and my co-moderators received this message: "Dan Tucker <antiquetuck@...> updated row in Last Alarm Roster" I did not get this message - as I am the one making the changes. However, and the #bug here is that the specification of which row has been changed is not shown.

I've found a few items within the Users and Owners manuals on this but I can't find anything addressing this specific process. And, having just (within the hour) published/released my first Database within our Forum, just gotten the first Notice of Change by a member. I got a brief email that simply said: "(member [email address]) updated row in Last Alarm Roster".
And I thought...'that's nice.' But, gee, I wonder which column in which (of 128) row(s) he made the change. Nothing in the Manuals suggests columnar details (though that would be nice - like specifying which cell in a spreadsheet), I figured it would at least suggest the Row.

In reading the text of the message, I'm led to believe that the message is/was actually intended to read 
"(member [email address]) updated row (fill in the blank) in Last Alarm Roster". But it obviously did not populate with the Row Number.

I had to go into the Db, make 'Visible' the 'Updated' column (by default hidden), then find it hidden off the window to the right - with no scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to suggest that it was over there - and look for today's date/time to locate the Row, then assess the complete Row to identify the apparent anomaly from the original entries.

Did I miss something? Am I looking for something  that is not there? How is this supposed to appear and report?

From what I've seen so far, Row ID 1 of the Db will ALWAYS be the same information even if an alphabetical sort moves it to the middle of the pack. It appears the 'sort order/param' only re-sorts the items, not the Row ID number.

One other item along this line is the "visible' setting pull-down. I go to a page of the Table; I see the record I want; I set the visible to show ID; I get back to the page with the record (or the 'visible refreshes the screen) and I have to scroll back to the record I was looking at; I make any change; and then I lose the visible setting: then I go to the next page in the Table and repeat the process. I know that I can go into Edit Table Properties and change the setting but then I can only assume everyone will see that property visible until I go back into Edit Table Properties again and change that setting. Could the 'visible' pulldown be set to remain set-as-temporarily-set until it is toggled back/turned off again? 

Thanks!
_._,_._,_ 

Dan,

I reported this as a #notification a couple of weeks ago in GMF. ...
it did not get resolved.
That's because GMF is a user to user forum - it is not monitored by Groups.io personnel.

I believe there was a response from Mark on it but I cannot find it
anywhere.
Not in GMF, Mark does not read or post there. Searching your messages here in Beta, as Frances suggested in GMF, indicates that your posts here do not include this topic - until now.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?q=posterid:5676163

However, and the #bug here is that the specification of /which row has
been changed/ is not shown.
I don't know if it is a bug or an oversight, but I agree that including the row number would be helpful.

From what I've seen so far, Row ID 1 of the Db will ALWAYS be the same
information even if an alphabetical sort moves it to the middle of the
pack. It appears the 'sort order/param' only re-sorts the items, not
the Row ID number.
Correct. The Row IDs identify a specific row and is not an index into it's position in the current display of the table. For a given row content the ID is a constant, much like a message ID. It does not change when sorting, adding, or removing rows. Although it is a numeric value, it is not a "row number" in the sense that Excel or other spreadsheets use that term.

Shal <--- A fellow Groups.io user, not a representative or employee

Thank you. I’ve pieced out most of what you’ve posted. I learned from the first time around on this one. Oh, and I did have an email from Mark - I was astounded by it. I thought he indicated that he’d fixed it. And I noted in one of the posts in either GMF or Beta that someone else noted that Mark had “privately” responded on something. 

And, bug or oversight, it is something to address. Does this happen to others? I saw no references to it in my searches. 

Again, THANKS. 

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 22:09 Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Dan,

> I reported this as a #notification a couple of weeks ago in GMF. ...
 > it did not get resolved.

That's because GMF is a user to user forum - it is not monitored by
Groups.io personnel.

> I believe there was a response from Mark on it but I cannot find it
 > anywhere.

Not in GMF, Mark does not read or post there. Searching your messages
here in Beta, as Frances suggested in GMF, indicates that your posts
here do not include this topic - until now.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?q=posterid:5676163

> However, and the #bug here is that the specification of /which row has
 > been changed/ is not shown.

I don't know if it is a bug or an oversight, but I agree that including
the row number would be helpful.

> From what I've seen so far, Row ID 1 of the Db will ALWAYS be the same
 > information even if an alphabetical sort moves it to the middle of the
 > pack. It appears the 'sort order/param' only re-sorts the items, not
 > the Row ID number.

Correct. The Row IDs identify a specific row and is not an index into
it's position in the current display of the table. For a given row
content the ID is a constant, much like a message ID. It does not change
when sorting, adding, or removing rows. Although it is a numeric value,
it is not a "row number" in the sense that Excel or other spreadsheets
use that term.

Shal <--- A fellow Groups.io user, not a representative or employee

Dan,

Oh, and I did have an email from Mark - I was astounded by it. I
thought he indicated that he’d fixed it.
Oops. I should have clarified that I was referring to Mark Fletcher, founder, programmer, chief cook & and bottle-washer of Groups.io.

You may also mean Mark Fletcher, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Shal

Yep. One and the same. I was shocked and replied so. 

On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 22:29 Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Dan,

> Oh, and I did have an email from Mark - I was astounded by it. I
 > thought he indicated that he’d fixed it.

Oops. I should have clarified that I was referring to Mark Fletcher,
founder, programmer, chief cook & and bottle-washer of Groups.io.

You may also mean Mark Fletcher, but I just wanted to clarify that.

Shal