Bouncing Status Anomaly #bug

Chris Jones

Mark; while investigating something else entirely I think I have found a bug in the detection of some members being "bouncing" but not recorded as such.

This perceived problem seems to arise if a member has their delivery set to Special Notices Only; in the group I co - own they should still receive monthly notices because these are sent as Special Notices, but I have found several instances where these have been bounced for several months or even longer. However, there is no "Bouncing" Status badge against these members in the Members List.

I have concluded - perhaps wrongly - that where a member has selected Special Notices Only a message bounce will not be automatically further investigated by system - generated Bounce Probes. A little further delving revealed the point that as the individuals are not listed as bouncing a Moderator cannot send a Bounce Probe manually, which most of the time makes sense.

Can you confirm (or otherwise!) my conclusion that a "Special Notices" member will not have system Bounce Probes sent to them in the event of a bounce occurring is correct? If my belief is correct then I think this configuration is wrong; any bounced message should be followed up by bounce probes and the member badged accordingly.

In some respects this doesn't matter but I could easy see it mattering for any group hovering around the threshold where payment for member numbers applies; members recorded as Bouncing don't count towards the trigger point but if they aren't logged as bouncing then they will be included as "valid" members even when they aren't because of their unrecorded bouncing status.

Chris

Andy

I don't know if this is relevant, but my group has members opting for Special Notices Only who are Bounced, but none who are Bouncing.

Andy

Chris,

they should still receive monthly notices because these are sent as Special Notices, but I have found several instances where these have been bounced for several months or even longer. However, there is no "Bouncing" Status badge against these members in the Members List.

The mechanism that sets the Bouncing status can have lots of leeway in it, depending on the response code from the receiving service and frequency of occurrence.

I have concluded - perhaps wrongly - that where a member has selected Special Notices Only a message bounce will not be automatically further investigated by system - generated Bounce Probes.

No bounce probes are sent until they've been changed to Bouncing status. Meanwhile message deliveries continue and are monitored, possibly leading to Bouncing status. I don't think the type of subscription figures into it other than changing the rate at which messages are sent to that member.

If my belief is correct then I think this configuration is wrong; any bounced message should be followed up by bounce probes and the member badged accordingly.

I'm not certain what the current status is for any given response code. It used to be that many codes would cause the mechanism to advance to Bouncing immediately. This has been backed off as too aggressive for some response codes, based on email service behavior.
Shal

Chris Jones

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 01:16 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
The mechanism that sets the Bouncing status can have lots of leeway in it, depending on the response code from the receiving service and frequency of occurrence.
(My underlining)

And that is the only difference that I have been able to detect between flagged and unflagged "bouncers". The reasons for the bounces differs little or not at all between the two groups.

However, with Special Notices members not being flagged because the "specials" are not frequent enough to trigger the process they are able to increase in number without group moderators being aware of it; as I stated earlier this could result (over a period of time) in a group where numbers are limited by a paywall being unable to admit new members because their membership numbers are being artificially inflated by bouncers of whom the group moderators are unaware short of a tedious trawl through those on Special notices only.

OK; the group I co - own is a legacy basic so the paywall problem does not arise; at the same time if I wanted to try and weed out bouncing specials I would have to trawl through > 800 members individual record pages in order to try to identify them. Having found any I would not be able to send any bounce probes because officially they aren't actually bouncing.

My original concern remains...

Chris.