Topics

moderated Bounce History

Sharon Villines

It would be useful to be able to see a member’s bounce history — or if there is one, I can’t find it.

I’m having a problem with Earthlink addresses bouncing. Would like to see when they started — all on one date or what.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Sharon,

            This is an Earthlink issue.  They're "blacklisting" groups.io, again.

            See this topic on the Group Managers Forum:  Help: Earthlink now bouncing emails sent to *me* from Groups.io groups I own

            Earthlink users really need to start complaining directly to Earthlink support if there is any hope of this ever being fixed permanently.

Glad you mentioned the EarthLink bouncing. I’ve recently had a flurry of mindspring members bouncing. (Weren’t those the same, or one became the other?)

On Mar 3, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Sharon Villines via Groups.Io <sharon=sharonvillines.com@groups.io> wrote:

It would be useful to be able to see a member’s bounce history — or if there is one, I can’t find it.

I’m having a problem with Earthlink addresses bouncing. Would like to see when they started — all on one date or what.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

Posts crossed, just saw Brian’s. Brian, are EarthLink and mindspring somehow the same? I did have one bouncing mindspring member unbounce after I sent a bounce probe.

On Mar 3, 2019, at 8:38 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Glad you mentioned the EarthLink bouncing. I’ve recently had a flurry of mindspring members bouncing. (Weren’t those the same, or one became the other?)
On Mar 3, 2019, at 8:20 AM, Sharon Villines via Groups.Io <sharon=sharonvillines.com@groups.io> wrote:

It would be useful to be able to see a member’s bounce history — or if there is one, I can’t find it.

I’m having a problem with Earthlink addresses bouncing. Would like to see when they started — all on one date or what.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Well, as a general statement no e-mail service providers should be blacklisting groups.io for spam.   Since you can't get a groups.io message without having gone through the subscription process they are, by definition, not spam.

It appears that no matter how often Groups.io's ownership points this out, they keep the mechanisms in place that, when brainless users intentionally mark as spam or when it happens accidentally enough times they blacklist Groups.io again.

Unless customers start screaming at their e-mail service providers about this each and every time it happens for a sufficient number of times it will keep happening.  It appears that presenting the facts to them from the e-mail list service owner, that they can check out with ease, simply is not enough.

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:40 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
are EarthLink and mindspring somehow the same?
The information I found says they merged in early 2000, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EarthLink

Duane

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 09:11 AM, Duane wrote:
they merged in early 2000
Thanks. (Damn, that dates me! :-)

Bob Bellizzi

Earthink is definitely blacklisting all of groups.io.
I have about 15 earthink.net members.  The latest soft bounce was 12/16/2018
The last hard bounce was 12/15/2016
Our message board is fairly active with at least a couple of digests per day.
Something else is causing it the issue to be specific to some groups?
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Bob Bellizzi

Don't feel bad about being dated.  Earthink was my 4th.  Mindspring was my 3rd hosting service after the 2nd one quit to go into another business.  Before that there was a strange outfit at the top of the Knight-Ridder bldg in San Jose called something like Internet Condos or kinda like that in 19 and 96. <lol>
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

LOL 😊

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 9:35 AM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
Don't feel bad about being dated.  Earthink was my 4th.  Mindspring was my 3rd hosting service after the 2nd one quit to go into another business.  Before that there was a strange outfit at the top of the Knight-Ridder bldg in San Jose called something like Internet Condos or kinda like that in 19 and 96. <lol>
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Gerald Boutin

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 12:40 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Posts crossed, just saw Brian’s. Brian, are EarthLink and mindspring somehow the same? I did have one bouncing mindspring member unbounce after I sent a bounce probe.
Earthlink has a list of their related domains on their email support pages. There are quite a few, including mindspring.

https://support.earthlink.net/articles/email/earthlink-email-and-server-settings-by-domain-name.php

--
Gerald

YT9TP - Pedja

I second this request. I have bouncing issues right now and it was really hard to find out what happens.

Whene bouncing occurres both admin and user whose mail bounces has to be informed with proper technical details (copy of bounced message so message and headers may be investigated). That would really help to understand that there is an issue and possibly quickly find out the cause.

I had headache for days trying to find why as mail from groups.io stops coming, then bouncing notice on groups.io site shows up days later.

I had god position that I administer my mail server so I could search through the logs. i finally found out that groups.io is reported as SPAM source by at least one SPAM list. For now I isolated SURBL as one that reports groups.io as SPAM. It seems groups.io was failry quickly removed from SURBL database but not quickly enough to avoid people get into problems caused by bouncing.

I am yet to find out if there is more such cases besides SURBL.

Apart from obvious issue why groups.io is reported as SPAM, problem is that users do not get any warning about bouncing happens except that messages stop coming. It looks like warnings are sent by email (and bounced as well). Notice on site shows few days after messages stop coming. It should show up immediately as groups.io recognizes bouncing. and that warning should contain more info, specific technical details about bounced mail so user (or admin) may investigate and handle issue.

If there are more messages involved, history should be available.

It seems this spam filters reporting groups.io as SPAM source is not isolated case. I guess groups.io administration could open channel where users and admins may report SPAM detection so cases may be investigated and dealt with.

I think it would be helpful if instead of the Account page having a "Recent Bounces" tab, that was renamed "Delivery Errors". "Bounces" is only meaningful to people who understand the technology. An ordinary user, suffering delivery problems, even if they look on their account page, won't realise that the Bounces button is relevant.

txercoupemuseum.org

Once I would have agreed, but those people whom circumstances have dragged to groups.io with their groups are no longer “ordinary users” of necessity.

These people have an obligation to become familiar with the standard terms group administrators must use.  It’s not appropriate for us “Johnny-come-latelys” to barge in and try to redefine standards long agreed and now common reference.

“When all else fails, read the instructions”!

Just my opinion,

WRB

—