Topics

better member list filtering #suggestion

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 06:18 PM, I wrote:
If I first search the members list for yahoo.com and subsequently apply the "No Email" filter to those search hits, I don't get all yahoo accounts with No Email set. I get everyone on No Email, as if I hadn't done the search. This is odd behavior for a filter.
Ah. If I apply the filter and then do the search, I get the results I want.

Still, not what I expected.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 3:18 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- Quick question:  Is there any way to AND some of these? At least in combination with the search box?

This should be fixed now. As you discovered, it worked if you filtered first, then searched. Now you can search, then filter. It's a floor wax and dessert topping!

Hi Mark,

May thanks for this, it's very useful and a timesaver!

One suggestion about the three Message Selection rows:

Message Selection: Following Only
Message Selection: Following Only With First Message Also
Message Selection: Auto Follow Replies

You could remove the "Following Only" out option, as it doesn't reflect the rules and will never match anything, and change "Auto Follow Replies" to "Following Only With Auto Follow Replies" to match the rules.
Or maybe instead of taking it out, change it to "Message Selection: All", as that filter is missing; we can get just the FO users shown, but we cannot get just the All/non-FO users shown.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark,

Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was
a fairly substantial change to the code).
I'm loving it.

Cant wait to see the idea applied to more lists.

I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.
Maybe to the right of the Search box, as they are two sides of the same coin.

[tangent]
And then on the Messages/Topics lists drag the pair of them up where Search is here (and on Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki), for consistency. Messages & Topics could use being "modernized" to this style, with search as an entry box rather than a button to a pop-up, and the search tools functions integrated with date under the filter function.
[/tangent]

That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
members page as a fresh visit.
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.

Shal

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?
(My underlininig)

I think so; the Members button at the top is the quickest way of clearing any filter selection and reverting to the full list. (On that basis I'd leave it where it is.) The Members tab on navigation pane only goes to the full list if there are no Pending members; if there are then it defaults to them.

One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members, and IIRC this has been specifically requested. I think it would be useful to have it so that they can be more easily nudged to confirm or weeded out as appropriate.

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm loving it.

Cant wait to see the idea applied to more lists.
Me too!  Filters on the Past member's list would be good.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 01:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
members page as a fresh visit.
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?
The left-side menu bar does not appear on mobile...you would be forced to open the hamburger menu every time.

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.
Those pages [currently] have no filtering function that needs to be reset.

Regards,
Bruce

Louie S

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 01:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.

Very useful addition.

Thanks,

-louie

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was a fairly substantial change to the code). I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.
On a mobile phone there is no filter option (in portrait or landscape) even though there seems to be space to display it. All that is displayed is the Members, Past and Search buttons.  Can this be included on the mobile format too?

Thanks
Andy

Niman H

This is a really great upgrade. Thank you.
A second vote for adding a way to search for NC members please.

Sally

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:57 AM, I wrote:
One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members,
Aha; I see that the Not Confirmed have their own entry in the drop down now, and that status badges have been added as well. (Good that!)

However, when I tried it the NC filter isn't picking out any NCs but is letting the full list through.

Or was I testing too soon..?

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:57 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members,
A filter for Attachment Size limits would be good too.

Thanks
Andy

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:53 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

I'm loving it.

I reflexively now have a craving for a Big Mac!

 > That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
 > Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
 > members page as a fresh visit.

As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left.
Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the
Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos,
Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.

But wouldn't it be strange if the Members button was missing? Say you go to the Members page, then click one of the other buttons at the top, lie File Sync/Service Sync/Bulk Remove/Download. You'd go to that page and the buttons would shift around (ignoring for a second that the Filter button disappears when you go to the other pages). The Members button would magically reappear on the other pages. Or am I being too hobgobliny?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

I had a better idea. I've removed the Cancel button. If you close the Filter dropdown, all the checkboxes reset to what they were when you opened the page. So they should always be correct when you open the filter.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you close the Filter dropdown, all the checkboxes reset to what they were when you opened the page. So they should always be correct when you open the filter.
I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the filters should be preserved if you navigate away and then come back to the member list? I'm not seeing that happen.

Andy

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I had a better idea.
And now I feel like I need to buy a Ford...  (telling my age ;>)

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the filters should be preserved if you navigate away and then come back to the member list? I'm not seeing that happen.

Go to the Members page. Bring up the Filter, check something, then hit Apply. You'll then see the filtered Members list. Then, bring up the Filter again, check something else, close the dialog without hitting Apply. Then bring up the Filter again; your last change shouldn't be there, because you didn't hit Apply.

Hope this helps.
Mark

coprosowner

One small note.
Should the "Apply" row have some sort of indicator (color-blue/red) that gives you a general idea that you need to click on it to activate the filter?

Maybe it's just me but I kept clicking in and out but didn't understand the GUI immediately.

---
Peter Keenan

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:36 PM, I wrote:
However, when I tried it the NC filter isn't picking out any NCs but is letting the full list through.
Well it is certainly working now, so thanks very much indeed Mark. Very helpful that. :)

On other points... thanks for removing the Cancel feature. I had managed to work out what it did and more particularly didn't do, and in all honesty I think we are better off without it.

And...

Please do not remove the not entirely redundant Members button; it is the only one - click method of cancelling the filtering. IMHO it might be better if it was renamed Clear All Filters (a better description of what it now does) but as is usual others might not agree...

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 09:40 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On a mobile phone there is no filter option (in portrait or landscape) even though there seems to be space to display it.
After playing around with my browser window widths, it seems that the page styling will display the filter button only if the width is sufficient to display the resulting menu (which is, frankly, pretty wide). At least that's the way it seems to be working on this end. If the alternative is to display a button that "does nothing," this behavior may be preferable.

Regards,
Bruce