better member list filtering #suggestion

KWKloeber

Today I needed to 'un-moderate' two members.  Luckily, the first's name and email address was listed near the top of the ADMIN > MEMBERS list.  no problem-o.  The second, I realized, was tucked away somewhere in the list and I didn't even remember the name or email address.  Just by happenstance it was on one of the top pages as I paged down the member list.  If it wasn't, I would have been going through 1,600+ names trying to find one with an "M" next to the name.  Not very good.

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the member list are available in the drop-down filter.  I don't see why SOME would have been implemented without ALL being implemented.  Not logical.

From the GM forum:

...It would be nice to be able to somehow filter the list based on any of these status badges.

...it would be very helpful to be able to filter on badges, not just member status badges but also sub preferences badges as well, any available/shown badge in that list.
... I have often wished to be able to easily identify everyone who is not confirmed (NC).
... I've also sometimes wondered by Banned was not implemented as a badge.

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 04:51 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the member list are available in the drop-down filter.
I agree additional filtering options would be useful at times and until that is implemented a simple workaround is:

  • On your member list, click the Download button
  • Select all text on the displayed list and copy to your clipboard
  • Paste that text into a new Excel worksheet
  • Use the 'Text to columns' feature (normally found on the Data tab) to split the text into columns (delimited by a command and using " as the text delimiter)
  • Filter the columns in Excel

The advantage of Excel filtering is that you can combine multiple filters and if you put your data into an Excel table then you can use all the whizzy stuff like pivot tables and slicers.

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

Andy,
You can also save the file as a .txt file.
Then open it usually as a comna delimited text file to save the text to columns folderol
--

Bob Bellizzi

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 10:14 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
You can also save the file as a .txt file.
Yes, and that involves a few more steps and more keying so I went for the shorter route.

Cheers
Andy

k,

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the
member list are available in the drop-down filter.
I'm all in favor of filters for the list (and every list), I think it is long overdue:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/6205230#14955

But not necessarily in the Members/Moderators/Pending Approval/Bouncing/Banned selector button (but then, I'm not all that fond of that button either).

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the
member list are available in the drop-down filter. I don't see why
SOME would have been implemented without ALL being implemented. Not
logical.
I'm sure there's an implementation logic to it, if nothing more than ease, but I agree that we should be able to filter on any of the badges and other attributes of a member's subscription.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 01:43 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm all in favor of filters for the list (and every list), I think it is long overdue:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/6205230#14955

But not necessarily in the Members/Moderators/Pending Approval/Bouncing/Banned selector button (but then, I'm not all that fond of that button either).
Agreed. Although it's actually a pull-down menu, it looks like a button, and thus confuses a lot of newbie group owners.

I'd prefer a Status badge pick-list for the filter, similar to the Action pick-list currently found for the Activity log. Such a transition might be less than seamless, though.

Regards,
Bruce

Louie S

A  reason to add more filtering options to the Member list page is so you can easily make selections of the member and use that to send tailored notices.

One example is that I want to send a notice to just members that have email of "Special". There is no easy way to do this especially in a large group.

I was able to accomplish this by sorting on the Delivery then page through the list 100 at a time clicking the select all on page check box. Then on the first and last page I had manually deselect each member that did not have the "Special" status. Doable but tedious.

-louie

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 09:59 AM, Louie S wrote:
I was able to accomplish this by sorting on the Delivery then page through the list ...
When I need to do something like this, I find it's easier to work with a local copy of the member list.

-- From Admin --> Members, click the "Download" button. This opens a membership list in .csv format.

-- Depending on how your browser is configured, this may start a "Download File" dialog, or open a display of a text file.

-- I get a text file (Firefox). So I have to copy and paste the displayed text file into a text editor ("Kate", on my system), then save it on disk.

-- I then open the .csv file with Libreoffice (if you use Windows, Excel will do the job). Once I have the membership list loaded in a spreadsheet program, all sorts of stuff is possible, and fairly easy to do. Sorting is a snap. If you know a little bit of Visual Basic (or some equivalent language), you can even write short programs to massage the data in just about any conceivable way.

-- If I need to send a message to hundreds of members at once, I use my email client and create a special mailing list. I use KMail, but this can be done with Outlook, or Thunderbird, or Evolution ... just about any full-featured email client can import a list of email addresses (and associated data) in .csv format.

-- So that's it. Download list, extract sub-list, use local email client to blast out a couple of hundred notices or whatever.

-- One caution. You may end up being blacklisted by your email service provider if you send a message with more than 100 CCs or BCCs. This has happened to me a couple of times, and it's no fun. You're better off sending messages addressed to individual members. You won't be identified as a spammer if you avoid the CC and BCC fields.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Louie S

David,

Thanks for the description of your interesting and extensive workaround.

This seems at least to me to underscore the need to provide group owners better tools help communicate and manager their membership.

-louie

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 03:59 PM, Louie S wrote:

One example is that I want to send a notice to just members that have email of "Special". There is no easy way to do this especially in a large group.
Yes, having an option to email members with specific delivery types would be helpful (in the same way you can email different groups of Poll or RSVP Event responders).

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

I strongly agree that the ability to select members should provide more control and ability for the moderators & owners.
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

Hi All,

I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.

Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was a fairly substantial change to the code). I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts
That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; it is now serving no purpose and it won't be long before people are reporting that the Members button no longer works!

Can I further suggest that the Members button be replaced by a Clear All Filtering button? As far as I can see returning to the full list requires all the selected filters to be unchecked followed by clicking Apply, which is a minimum of 3 clicks just for a single filter. Button to be grey out if no filters are selected.

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

Chris

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:05 PM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; it is now serving no purpose and it won't be long before people are reporting that the Members button no longer works!

That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works. Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the members page as a fresh visit.

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; <snip>
That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works. Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the members page as a fresh visit.
Aha! Then it fulfills my suggestion of a Clear All Filters function, which is excellent. The earlier statement of it being redundant is not strictly true!

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.
If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

Ah; I did wonder that; I tried before asking that but it didn't work for me, hence the question. Having tried it again I found I am getting odd results that are not wholly predictable.

Chris

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss
Mark; the group I co - own has a Group Moderation setting of All messages are moderated, with a small number of members set to Override; not moderated.

The filter system does not find them, and in fact the filter selection of Moderation Status; Override; not moderated is not retained when Apply is clicked. The display defaults to the full membership list, and revisiting the filter selection shows the above setting not checked.

Chris

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

The filter system does not find them, and in fact the filter selection of Moderation Status; Override; not moderated is not retained when Apply is clicked. The display defaults to the full membership list, and revisiting the filter selection shows the above setting not checked.

Please try it now.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:47 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now.
Success! Many thanks.:)

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 04:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.
I like the new filter feature.

Poor Nina. :-)

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 04:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.
Mark -- Quick question:  Is there any way to AND some of these? At least in combination with the search box?

If I first search the members list for yahoo.com and subsequently apply the "No Email" filter to those search hits, I don't get all yahoo accounts with No Email set. I get everyone on No Email, as if I hadn't done the search. This is odd behavior for a filter.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 06:18 PM, I wrote:
If I first search the members list for yahoo.com and subsequently apply the "No Email" filter to those search hits, I don't get all yahoo accounts with No Email set. I get everyone on No Email, as if I hadn't done the search. This is odd behavior for a filter.
Ah. If I apply the filter and then do the search, I get the results I want.

Still, not what I expected.

Thanks,
Bruce

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 3:18 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

Mark -- Quick question:  Is there any way to AND some of these? At least in combination with the search box?

This should be fixed now. As you discovered, it worked if you filtered first, then searched. Now you can search, then filter. It's a floor wax and dessert topping!

Hi Mark,

May thanks for this, it's very useful and a timesaver!

One suggestion about the three Message Selection rows:

Message Selection: Following Only
Message Selection: Following Only With First Message Also
Message Selection: Auto Follow Replies

You could remove the "Following Only" out option, as it doesn't reflect the rules and will never match anything, and change "Auto Follow Replies" to "Following Only With Auto Follow Replies" to match the rules.
Or maybe instead of taking it out, change it to "Message Selection: All", as that filter is missing; we can get just the FO users shown, but we cannot get just the All/non-FO users shown.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark,

Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was
a fairly substantial change to the code).
I'm loving it.

Cant wait to see the idea applied to more lists.

I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.
Maybe to the right of the Search box, as they are two sides of the same coin.

[tangent]
And then on the Messages/Topics lists drag the pair of them up where Search is here (and on Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki), for consistency. Messages & Topics could use being "modernized" to this style, with search as an entry box rather than a button to a pop-up, and the search tools functions integrated with date under the filter function.
[/tangent]

That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
members page as a fresh visit.
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.

Shal

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?
(My underlininig)

I think so; the Members button at the top is the quickest way of clearing any filter selection and reverting to the full list. (On that basis I'd leave it where it is.) The Members tab on navigation pane only goes to the full list if there are no Pending members; if there are then it defaults to them.

One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members, and IIRC this has been specifically requested. I think it would be useful to have it so that they can be more easily nudged to confirm or weeded out as appropriate.

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm loving it.

Cant wait to see the idea applied to more lists.
Me too!  Filters on the Past member's list would be good.

Andy

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 01:53 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
members page as a fresh visit.
As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left. Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?
The left-side menu bar does not appear on mobile...you would be forced to open the hamburger menu every time.

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos, Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.
Those pages [currently] have no filtering function that needs to be reset.

Regards,
Bruce

Louie S

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 01:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.

Very useful addition.

Thanks,

-louie

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was a fairly substantial change to the code). I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.
On a mobile phone there is no filter option (in portrait or landscape) even though there seems to be space to display it. All that is displayed is the Members, Past and Search buttons.  Can this be included on the mobile format too?

Thanks
Andy

Niman H

This is a really great upgrade. Thank you.
A second vote for adding a way to search for NC members please.

Sally

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:57 AM, I wrote:
One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members,
Aha; I see that the Not Confirmed have their own entry in the drop down now, and that status badges have been added as well. (Good that!)

However, when I tried it the NC filter isn't picking out any NCs but is letting the full list through.

Or was I testing too soon..?

Chris

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:57 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
One category that seems to be missing is the "NC" members,
A filter for Attachment Size limits would be good too.

Thanks
Andy

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:53 PM Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

I'm loving it.

I reflexively now have a craving for a Big Mac!

 > That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works.
 > Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the
 > members page as a fresh visit.

As does clicking the Members button in the navigation pane on the left.
Have I missed a subtle difference between the two?

In other words, I think I agree with Chris' original assessment that the
Members button above the list is now redundant. Directory, Photos,
Files, and Wiki do not have such a button above their lists.

But wouldn't it be strange if the Members button was missing? Say you go to the Members page, then click one of the other buttons at the top, lie File Sync/Service Sync/Bulk Remove/Download. You'd go to that page and the buttons would shift around (ignoring for a second that the Filter button disappears when you go to the other pages). The Members button would magically reappear on the other pages. Or am I being too hobgobliny?

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

I had a better idea. I've removed the Cancel button. If you close the Filter dropdown, all the checkboxes reset to what they were when you opened the page. So they should always be correct when you open the filter.

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 06:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If you close the Filter dropdown, all the checkboxes reset to what they were when you opened the page. So they should always be correct when you open the filter.
I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the filters should be preserved if you navigate away and then come back to the member list? I'm not seeing that happen.

Andy

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 12:14 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I had a better idea.
And now I feel like I need to buy a Ford...  (telling my age ;>)

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 10:43 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Do you mean that the filters should be preserved if you navigate away and then come back to the member list? I'm not seeing that happen.

Go to the Members page. Bring up the Filter, check something, then hit Apply. You'll then see the filtered Members list. Then, bring up the Filter again, check something else, close the dialog without hitting Apply. Then bring up the Filter again; your last change shouldn't be there, because you didn't hit Apply.

Hope this helps.
Mark

coprosowner

One small note.
Should the "Apply" row have some sort of indicator (color-blue/red) that gives you a general idea that you need to click on it to activate the filter?

Maybe it's just me but I kept clicking in and out but didn't understand the GUI immediately.

---
Peter Keenan

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 05:36 PM, I wrote:
However, when I tried it the NC filter isn't picking out any NCs but is letting the full list through.
Well it is certainly working now, so thanks very much indeed Mark. Very helpful that. :)

On other points... thanks for removing the Cancel feature. I had managed to work out what it did and more particularly didn't do, and in all honesty I think we are better off without it.

And...

Please do not remove the not entirely redundant Members button; it is the only one - click method of cancelling the filtering. IMHO it might be better if it was renamed Clear All Filters (a better description of what it now does) but as is usual others might not agree...

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 09:40 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
On a mobile phone there is no filter option (in portrait or landscape) even though there seems to be space to display it.
After playing around with my browser window widths, it seems that the page styling will display the filter button only if the width is sufficient to display the resulting menu (which is, frankly, pretty wide). At least that's the way it seems to be working on this end. If the alternative is to display a button that "does nothing," this behavior may be preferable.

Regards,
Bruce

Please do not remove the not entirely redundant Members button; it is the only one - click method of cancelling the filtering. IMHO it might be better if it was renamed Clear All Filters (a better description of what it now does) but as is usual others might not agree...

But wouldn't it be strange if the Members button was missing?

I also agree with Chris and Mark, leave it there as it does tie things together context-wise, the list/sreen master reset button.

I'd also second renaming it as Chris' suggested, but I can also see the value of keeping the "Members" text on it, so my compromise suggestion would be to rename it to "All Members", you click it it and it shows you all members, implicitly meaning (reset list/screen to) no filters.

Or am I being too hobgobliny?

I don't think so; I do like a lot that you added the badge graphics in the filters, so as long as you don't let the hobgoblinging get to your head and start being mischievious, go at it, other areas like sub Adv settings and posting privileges can also use them. :)

Cheers,
Christos

Niman H

Thank you for adding the NC option!
One more thing for the wishlist :)
Can it show somewhere how many members are in the category/filter that you chose?

Sally

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 04:34 PM, Niman H wrote:
Can it show somewhere how many members are in the category/filter that you chose?
That would show up as the number of members listed on the results page in the upper right corner after you apply the filter.

Duane

coprosowner

One small bug maybe.  I selected 4 members who needed a bounce probe.  It shows the number 24 (lower left).  24 was also the number that came up when the window asks Do you want to send the Bounce Probe.
I flunked algebra so I am of no help.

Thanks,

Peter

Duane

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 07:44 PM, coprosowner wrote:
One small bug maybe.  I selected 4 members who needed a bounce probe.  It shows the number 24 (lower left).
Checking on this, I also saw some strange numbers.  Page shows 30, select all box shows 52.  When I first started the test, selecting the first 8 gave a 13 at the bottom, but when I tried again later, it was correct.  Definitely some gremlins running loose.

Duane

Niman H

I'm not seeing that... I am on a Windows desktop.
The only way I have found to see the amount of members is check the box bottom left corner. But what you are describing is easier. I just don't see it - ?
Thanks
Sally

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 04:34 PM, Niman H wrote:
Can it show somewhere how many members are in the category/filter that you chose?
That would show up as the number of members listed on the results page in the upper right corner after you apply the filter.

Found another little bug this morning.  Selecting "Bouncing" also automatically selects NC, but the NC members aren't included on the results page.  If you then go back into the filter box and don't change anything (untick NC), but do click Apply, it then includes NC results.

Andy Wedge

Banning a member removes them from the group according to the Owner's Manual so I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.

I think a Banned checkbox would be more applicable to filter options on the Past member's list.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 02:27 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.
Yes it does make sense; while they remain "banned members" they are prevented from attempting to rejoin using the same email address. As they don't enter the calculation for charging their presence as notional members does no harm at all.

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 09:27 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
Banning a member removes them from the group according to the Owner's Manual...
More accurately, banning an address keeps it from joining. You can ban addresses that are not current members.

...so I don't think it makes sense to have a checkbox option for banned members as they should never appear on the member list.
With the pull-down menu now gone, the filter list seems as good as anything.

I think a Banned checkbox would be more applicable to filter options on the Past member's list.
Unfortunately, the Past Members list is only available for paid groups. We'd need some other way to do this.

Regards,
Bruce