Topics

better member list filtering #suggestion

KWKloeber

Today I needed to 'un-moderate' two members.  Luckily, the first's name and email address was listed near the top of the ADMIN > MEMBERS list.  no problem-o.  The second, I realized, was tucked away somewhere in the list and I didn't even remember the name or email address.  Just by happenstance it was on one of the top pages as I paged down the member list.  If it wasn't, I would have been going through 1,600+ names trying to find one with an "M" next to the name.  Not very good.

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the member list are available in the drop-down filter.  I don't see why SOME would have been implemented without ALL being implemented.  Not logical.

From the GM forum:

...It would be nice to be able to somehow filter the list based on any of these status badges.

...it would be very helpful to be able to filter on badges, not just member status badges but also sub preferences badges as well, any available/shown badge in that list.
... I have often wished to be able to easily identify everyone who is not confirmed (NC).
... I've also sometimes wondered by Banned was not implemented as a badge.

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 04:51 AM, KWKloeber wrote:
It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the member list are available in the drop-down filter.
I agree additional filtering options would be useful at times and until that is implemented a simple workaround is:

  • On your member list, click the Download button
  • Select all text on the displayed list and copy to your clipboard
  • Paste that text into a new Excel worksheet
  • Use the 'Text to columns' feature (normally found on the Data tab) to split the text into columns (delimited by a command and using " as the text delimiter)
  • Filter the columns in Excel

The advantage of Excel filtering is that you can combine multiple filters and if you put your data into an Excel table then you can use all the whizzy stuff like pivot tables and slicers.

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

Andy,
You can also save the file as a .txt file.
Then open it usually as a comna delimited text file to save the text to columns folderol
--

Bob Bellizzi

Andy Wedge

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 10:14 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
You can also save the file as a .txt file.
Yes, and that involves a few more steps and more keying so I went for the shorter route.

Cheers
Andy

k,

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the
member list are available in the drop-down filter.
I'm all in favor of filters for the list (and every list), I think it is long overdue:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/6205230#14955

But not necessarily in the Members/Moderators/Pending Approval/Bouncing/Banned selector button (but then, I'm not all that fond of that button either).

It would be best if all of the attributes (badges?) shown on the
member list are available in the drop-down filter. I don't see why
SOME would have been implemented without ALL being implemented. Not
logical.
I'm sure there's an implementation logic to it, if nothing more than ease, but I agree that we should be able to filter on any of the badges and other attributes of a member's subscription.

Shal

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 01:43 AM, Shal Farley wrote:
I'm all in favor of filters for the list (and every list), I think it is long overdue:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/6205230#14955

But not necessarily in the Members/Moderators/Pending Approval/Bouncing/Banned selector button (but then, I'm not all that fond of that button either).
Agreed. Although it's actually a pull-down menu, it looks like a button, and thus confuses a lot of newbie group owners.

I'd prefer a Status badge pick-list for the filter, similar to the Action pick-list currently found for the Activity log. Such a transition might be less than seamless, though.

Regards,
Bruce

Louie S

A  reason to add more filtering options to the Member list page is so you can easily make selections of the member and use that to send tailored notices.

One example is that I want to send a notice to just members that have email of "Special". There is no easy way to do this especially in a large group.

I was able to accomplish this by sorting on the Delivery then page through the list 100 at a time clicking the select all on page check box. Then on the first and last page I had manually deselect each member that did not have the "Special" status. Doable but tedious.

-louie

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 09:59 AM, Louie S wrote:
I was able to accomplish this by sorting on the Delivery then page through the list ...
When I need to do something like this, I find it's easier to work with a local copy of the member list.

-- From Admin --> Members, click the "Download" button. This opens a membership list in .csv format.

-- Depending on how your browser is configured, this may start a "Download File" dialog, or open a display of a text file.

-- I get a text file (Firefox). So I have to copy and paste the displayed text file into a text editor ("Kate", on my system), then save it on disk.

-- I then open the .csv file with Libreoffice (if you use Windows, Excel will do the job). Once I have the membership list loaded in a spreadsheet program, all sorts of stuff is possible, and fairly easy to do. Sorting is a snap. If you know a little bit of Visual Basic (or some equivalent language), you can even write short programs to massage the data in just about any conceivable way.

-- If I need to send a message to hundreds of members at once, I use my email client and create a special mailing list. I use KMail, but this can be done with Outlook, or Thunderbird, or Evolution ... just about any full-featured email client can import a list of email addresses (and associated data) in .csv format.

-- So that's it. Download list, extract sub-list, use local email client to blast out a couple of hundred notices or whatever.

-- One caution. You may end up being blacklisted by your email service provider if you send a message with more than 100 CCs or BCCs. This has happened to me a couple of times, and it's no fun. You're better off sending messages addressed to individual members. You won't be identified as a spammer if you avoid the CC and BCC fields.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Louie S

David,

Thanks for the description of your interesting and extensive workaround.

This seems at least to me to underscore the need to provide group owners better tools help communicate and manager their membership.

-louie

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 03:59 PM, Louie S wrote:

One example is that I want to send a notice to just members that have email of "Special". There is no easy way to do this especially in a large group.
Yes, having an option to email members with specific delivery types would be helpful (in the same way you can email different groups of Poll or RSVP Event responders).

Andy

Bob Bellizzi

I strongly agree that the ability to select members should provide more control and ability for the moderators & owners.
--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers

Hi All,

I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.

Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss (it was a fairly substantial change to the code). I wasn't sure where to place the Filter button, for one thing.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts
That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; it is now serving no purpose and it won't be long before people are reporting that the Members button no longer works!

Can I further suggest that the Members button be replaced by a Clear All Filtering button? As far as I can see returning to the full list requires all the selected filters to be unchecked followed by clicking Apply, which is a minimum of 3 clicks just for a single filter. Button to be grey out if no filters are selected.

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

Chris

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:05 PM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; it is now serving no purpose and it won't be long before people are reporting that the Members button no longer works!

That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works. Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the members page as a fresh visit.

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.

If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That's very good! Can I suggest that the now - redundant Members button be removed; <snip>
That's there for consistency for how the rest of the site works. Clicking it will clear all filters, as it just goes back to the members page as a fresh visit.
Aha! Then it fulfills my suggestion of a Clear All Filters function, which is excellent. The earlier statement of it being redundant is not strictly true!

What rôle does the Cancel button fill? I haven't been able to track down what it actually does.
If you check some filter boxes, then click Cancel instead of Apply, those clicked buttons are removed. I'm not wed to keeping that button or the functionality.

Ah; I did wonder that; I tried before asking that but it didn't work for me, hence the question. Having tried it again I found I am getting odd results that are not wholly predictable.

Chris

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 09:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know your thoughts or if you see something amiss
Mark; the group I co - own has a Group Moderation setting of All messages are moderated, with a small number of members set to Override; not moderated.

The filter system does not find them, and in fact the filter selection of Moderation Status; Override; not moderated is not retained when Apply is clicked. The display defaults to the full membership list, and revisiting the filter selection shows the above setting not checked.

Chris

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:38 PM Chris Jones via groups.io <chrisjones12=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

The filter system does not find them, and in fact the filter selection of Moderation Status; Override; not moderated is not retained when Apply is clicked. The display defaults to the full membership list, and revisiting the filter selection shows the above setting not checked.

Please try it now.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 10:47 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please try it now.
Success! Many thanks.:)

Chris

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 04:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.
I like the new filter feature.

Poor Nina. :-)

Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 04:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I just pushed a new Filter pop-up on the Members screen. I also replaced the 'Members' dropdown with a normal button, as it's now redundant.
Mark -- Quick question:  Is there any way to AND some of these? At least in combination with the search box?

If I first search the members list for yahoo.com and subsequently apply the "No Email" filter to those search hits, I don't get all yahoo accounts with No Email set. I get everyone on No Email, as if I hadn't done the search. This is odd behavior for a filter.

Thanks,
Bruce