moderated Beta Group Guidelines #meta

Glenn, it's one of those undocumented features, I didn't know it existed either until only a few months ago.  There's only a single (somewhat cryptic) line about it, in the Owner's manual, and in the Enterprize group admin section no less which most folks don't read:

Disable +1 Functionality
Select this checkbox to disable the automatic conversion of +1 email messages to likes.

I'll suggest in docs to add something about it in the User manual.

Cheers,
Christos

On 2021-06-01 10:17, Glenn Glazer via groups.io wrote:
If you reply to a post by email and just put +1 as your message text, it will be recorded as a Like. You cannot see Likes unless you use the Web UI though.

Andy

Oh, thanks. I didn't know that. TIL.

Marina

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 08:15 AM, Andy Wedge wrote:
If you reply to a post by email and just put +1 as your message text, it will be recorded as a Like.
Sorry for reviving this topic.
I've just run a test in my group by replying to a post via Gmail and found out that the Like is recorded only if the reply doesn't quote the original post (i.e. you trim the post "tail").
If you reply with +1 as message text and leave the original post below, your reply apparently vanishes in thin air and does not show in the group.

Marina

I've used +1 for years and it has always worked, and still does work, fine (I just tested it). However, I just discovered one exception: if the member sending the +1 is moderated, the message requires approval and after approval, becomes a reply message instead of a Like. So I think +1's should not be subject to moderation. I don't know if the problem you were having was related to that.

Marina,

>>> I've just run a test in my group by replying to a post via Gmail and found out that the Like is recorded only if the reply doesn't quote the original post (i.e. you trim the post "tail")

I also tested this a couple of days ago in a beta/docs topic, albeit not from Gmail but from my local Thunderbird app.  One can either reply to a message with +1 (or Like) as the only message body text, or reply but leave the quoted text in the message below, and add +1 as the first line.  In both cases the like was recorded, I guess with the non-moderated stipulation J mentioned (which I didn't know but it's good to know)

>>> If you reply with +1 as message text and leave the original post below, your reply apparently vanishes in thin air and does not show in the group.

This is by design, using email, you can either like a post or reply to a post, but you can't do both in the same reply.  Correctly-formatted email Like "replies" get recorded as Likes to the replied-to message/post but the message itself is not entered in the archive. (again I guess with the non-moderated stipulation)

Cheers,
Christos

On Sun, Jun 13, 2021 at 11:49 AM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:

>>> If you reply with +1 as message text and leave the original post below, your reply apparently vanishes in thin air and does not show in the group.

This is by design, using email, you can either like a post or reply to a post, but you can't do both in the same reply.

That did not happen in my test. I didn't trim the prior post, I used gmail, and the Like was recorded just fine. If you reply to a message using a quote of the prior message *above* your message, then that's another story, and it will not go through because the +1 isn't there solely on its own. But the +1 goes through perfectly if the prior text is below, treated as a prior post, even if untrimmed. Groups.io does not treat it as part of the reply. I don't know what went wrong in Marina's case but maybe for some reason, the prior text was placed above, rather than below, her +1. (Why is this thread in the Group Guidelines topic? In accordance with GG, I will stop here...)

>>> Why is this thread in the Group Guidelines topic?

It's kind of "mission creep", it just happened so as it seems to happen occasionally, but Mark can always take the question and the subsequent replies to it and split it into a new #misc topic, and that will clean this GG topic.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark,

I've noticed one slightly inaccurate and possibly confusing statement in the guidelines: "All new topics are moderated." That reads, and may sound to newcomers, as if the whole topic is moderated (and what does that even mean - what is required for a topic to be a "new topic"?) To be more accurate or clear, it could be changed to "The first message of every topic is moderated." It could even say, although slightly redundant, "The first message of every new topic is moderated."

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 08:59 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I've noticed one slightly inaccurate and possibly confusing statement in the guidelines: "All new topics are moderated."
For me, the rest of that line covers things, "Therefore, if your message creates a new topic, expect a delay before it is posted to the group."

Duane

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 07:13 AM, Duane wrote:
For me, the rest of that line covers things,
Yes, of course,  the rest of it is correct. So why not make it correct from the get-go?