Topics

moderated banned members show display names below messages, inconsistent with no display name shown for past members #bug

This is strongly related to the other issue(s) regarding banning and display names, but I think merits its own bug report:

Past members, whether having left or been removed, no longer have their display names shown beneath their messages in the archive. The display name is replaced with three dots. However, if you ban a member who has already been removed, their display name COMES BACK TO HAUNT their messages in the form of their default (system-wide) display name.

Whichever way you call it, this is inconsistent. Either past members' display names should show up below their messages or they not (I personally think not). If not, they should not show up for banned members, either, since they are also gone. If yes, then they should be displayed for past members as well.

In case that was unclear: When xyz member leaves or is removed from a group, all their messages in that group lose their display name as being by xyz, and instead show three dots where the display name used to be. But if xyz is then banned, their display name comes back below all their messages.

It does not make sense for banned members' messages to show display names when left/removed members' messages do not.

And if, in fact, a group moderator wanted to exploit that loophole, they could simply ban any past member to make the display names beneath their messages come back. (I would certainly never do that. Not moi! :)