Topics

moderated banned members notified they're banned when try to log in - I thought this was stopped?

Chris Jones

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 02:04 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Actually the question abou GDPR does bring up a good point. The person keeping notes on the members, is that not baking the GDPR?
While not knowing what "baking" the GDPR means I also find myself wondering if storing information about past members is breaching Data Protection Regulations of one sort or another, particularly if it is being done by "banning" them when in fact they weren't actually banned.

It's certainly something I would choose not to do.

Chris

Chris,

I don't know whether or not someone has been banned from a group falls under GDPR protection (although I doubt it does). But regardless of that, "Banned" is a strictly technical state so I don't think the term "actually banned" has any meaning. Either someone was banned, or they weren't. The reason for the banning is irrelevant (and not really judgeable even if one had to be given).

Well, this topic has unfortunately taken on a life.

I'm not sure how keeping/referring to information about past users could be considered snooping or be in any way illicit. The Past Members list is a feature of premium groups that several people asked for, and seems pretty useful to me. What J has been doing was trying to work around a perceived limitation of the feature. I think that limitation has already been fixed, but I certainly can't fault her for doing what she did and I don't think she was doing anything wrong.

Dano said some things I agree with:

I'm saddened in a way to see how beta has changed in the last year or so. The more I read, the more I hear people trying to tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing.

This also bums me out. I will definitely take some blame and readily admit that I'm not the best moderator; perhaps I could have steered things better. I would appreciate it if we could turn the group back to a more positive, helpful place.

I also read more and more discussions of technical things and the use of terms and acronyms that are undefined in the discussion, which push many non-technical people out of discussions.

I will take some of the blame for this, like my PSPTubes mention earlier today. If I ever use an acronym that isn't clear, please call me on it.

Also, I may not have explicitly said this before, but I will here: If I don't respond to a feature request or a question, please don't read anything into that other than my plate/inbox is overflowing. You can take comfort in knowing that you join an elite group of exceptional people who have not gotten responses from me. Be assured that I do read everything. In light of my not-very-exceptional inbox management skills, feature request bumps every once in awhile are fine.

I think it's important to remember that we all have the same goals here: to make Groups.io better, and to have free donuts on Sundays. Or at least one of those goals. I appreciate and am grateful for the passion in the service that has led all of you to be here.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 04:01 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
You can take comfort in knowing that you join an elite group of exceptional people who have not gotten responses from me.
I always thought I was special, now I know I am!

Many Thanks for all you do, Mark

Duane

Thanks, Mark. I did email you some examples. I think Notes do correctly appear in the Past Members list but didn’t use to. However, Owner Messages currently appear only in the Banned Members list, and not the Past Members list, so you still have to ban a past member of yoh want to see those. Hopefully that can be fixed, too.

Call me
J the Snoop
🐱

Holly <holly@...>

Mark writes:

<I will take some of the blame for this, like my PSPTubes mention earlier today. If I ever use an acronym that isn't clear, please call me on it.>

Google is our friend, at least in areas such as figuring out terminology. I've googled many terms and acronyms from this list and many others that I didn't understand. Though I have to admit the "tubes" reference had me befuddled for a while until I picked up that it involved YouTube in some way, and in making, I guess, short animations of some sort.

My personal policy is a) google it, and if that doesn't work, b) ask on the list in question. Most people are very happy to share their expertise.

Thank you, Mark, for all you do to make groups.io a roaring - or do I mean rambunctious? :) - success!

Holly

Mark just informed me that this has now been fixed as well!

On Jul 22, 2019, at 2:26 PM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark,

I'm still wondering about the literal request at the top of this thread, which is to not display the "You have been banned from this group" banner when a banned member tried to log on to a group. Is that compatible with the decision not to notify members when they're banned (unless, of course, a group decides to activate a "banned member" notice)? Could that instead read, "You are not a member of this group"?

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 2:40 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I'm still wondering about the literal request at the top of this thread, which is to not display the "You have been banned from this group" banner when a banned member tried to log on to a group. Is that compatible with the decision not to notify members when they're banned (unless, of course, a group decides to activate a "banned member" notice)? Could that instead read, "You are not a member of this group"?

This change went out earlier today.

Awesome. Thanks, Mark!