moderated Banned member is still a member?? #bug

Andy Wedge

On Sat, Aug 14, 2021 at 07:11 AM, Andy wrote:
it looks like groups.io does a little clean-up in the Past Members list and it is not just a list of prior actions.
Not all Groups.io activity takes place in real time so there may well be asynchronous processes running here.

Andy

Andy

Not all Groups.io activity takes place in real time so there may well be asynchronous processes running here.

But actions separated by hours, or days ... getting mixed up ...

Andy

“Unbanned” is not replacing “banned” in the past members list in the case of the member I was using for my testing. She remains banned but that is not showing up in Past Members, nor is the banning of close to 100% of my banned members. I’m at a loss to understand most of this, at this point.,,

On Aug 13, 2021, at 11:11 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

... But all I see in the Past Members list for her are the "unbanned" actions. There's only one "banned" in my entire Past Members list. So are you sure it's not that the member was banned by groups.io?

I have several Past Members with "Banned" in the Past Members list.

I think that if you Ban someone and then, later, Un-ban them, the "Banned" entry is replaced by the "Un-banned" entry.  I have one address that I experimented with, and that's what it has.  So in that single respect, it looks like groups.io does a little clean-up in the Past Members list and it is not just a list of prior actions.

If I remember right, when members were banned by groups.io, their address disappears totally from the Past Members list.  As if they never existed.  But their record remains in the Activity Log, so they were not 100% wiped clean.

Andy

Andy,

If you send me the email address off-list I can look it up. My guess is that you banned the address and that some time later I disabled the account permanently because it was the spammer, and perhaps that  was logged incorrectly or confusingly.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 11:47 PM, Andy wrote:
Apparently, "remove from the group" or "unsubscribe" really means "Un-ban"
My experience is that the banned members list acts almost like a members list, in that members on the banned list are considered "members" of it. That was worse awhile back, and some things got changed upon request to fix the weirdness, but there still seem to be remnants of that. IIRC it had to do with there being "member records" internally for banned addresses. But that's all I can remember of it at this point.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM, Andy wrote:
I have several Past Members with "Banned" in the Past Members list.

I think that if you Ban someone and then, later, Un-ban them, the "Banned" entry is replaced by the "Un-banned" entry.
I checked again this morning and there is some kind of weirdness here. In general, "banned" does not show up in my Past Members list. Only "unbanned," even if the member was banned subsequently. The member I mentioned last night, on whom I was running my test by repeatedly banning and unbanning, has about five "unbanned" entries in the Past Members list and zero "Banned" entries. In my entire Past Members list, although many of those members were banned, only one shows a "Banned" entry in the Past Members list. So I'm not sure whether to categorize this as a separate bug or just another weirdness, but I would describe it this way:

Banned members do not get "Banned" entries in the Past Members list. They do get an "Unbanned" entry every time they are unbanned, but "Banned" does not show up even if the last action on them was to ban them. (There is at least one exception - since I do find, among hundreds of past members in the list, one "Banned" entry. But I'm not sure what the exception is.)