Topics

moderated Automatically mark "idle" members in Admin Members list #suggestion

Suggestion: Automatically detect and add a label in the Admin Members list for members who are "idle". What that means is:

1. The group has at least one message per month. Otherwise, the group is idle, and there's no need to mark all members.

2. A member is set to No Email, or has been hard bouncing for more than 30 days.

3. If the member is No Email, the member also has no Groups.io web activity in the last 30 days.

This will enable proactive administrators to more easily remove members who "aren't really there" from groups that have membership limits.

There is otherwise no penalty for being "idle", just a label to help owners and moderators keep their membership lists clean if they so choose. If an idle member posts or has web activity, the label is removed.

"Special Notices" members wouldn't get marked idle, even if the group never sends special notices. If an administrator wishes to remove members who are Special Notices only, that can already be easily done.

Thanks,
JohnF

Peter Cook

I would also find it useful to know who is active and who isn't. Another way to go about it would be to have a sortable "Last Post Date" column in the member list. Then the owner could decide what threshold to use.

Larry Finch

I am site manager for a Listserv (L-Soft) mailing list server. One of its features is Probe, which periodically sends a message to each registered address asking them to respond positively if they wish to remain on the list. If the email bounces or they don’t respond they are removed from the list. This catches addresses that do not receive list email as well as those no longer interested.

Larry

--
Larry Finch

N 40° 53' 50"
W 74° 02' 55"

I sort of see some utility to this but totally disagree with how "idle" would be defined. We have many members who just lurk and then suddenly, sometimes even years later, pop up to say how they've been following and totally appreciate xyz message or whatever.  Second, the bouncing criterion seems off. There is already a mechanism to set members to "bounced" (red B) as distinct from "bouncing" (blue B). "Hard bouncing for 30 days" already has a parallel (and more precise in terms of group activity) definition in bounce handling to set someone to "bounced" (red B) and a group moderator can easily see those by looking in the "bouncing" members page. I also strongly disagree with your third criterion. "Activity" doesn't include "reading  messages," which people may be doing even if they don't do anything else, and 30 days is much too short. And finally, it's the"Special Notices" members who most often, at least in my group, are really the "idle" ones.

I think it should be up to the members themselves to say whether or not they actively want to stay in a group, regardless of how introverted or extroverted they've behaved in it.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 08:30 AM, Larry Finch wrote:
If the email bounces or they don’t respond they are removed from the list.
I agree with the email asking them to reaffirm interest (and have ust suggested that in the prior thread, before this one started) but not the removal criterion for bouncing. Most often they're bouncing not of their own choice and there are already ways to deal with bouncing. (Sometimes. ;)

toki

On 18/12/2020 16:30, Larry Finch wrote:
I am site manager for a Listserv (L-Soft) mailing list server. One of its
features is Probe, which periodically sends a message to each registered
address asking them to respond positively if they wish to remain on the
list. If the email bounces or they don’t respond they are removed from the
list. This catches addresses that do not receive list email as well as
those no longer interested.
In my experience, GMail is extremely good about identifying those probes, and labelling them as spam. Whilst I should look at my spam box at least once a week, i don't. (Roughly 30% of the email GMail marks as spam, is legitimate email from a mailing list I subscribe to.)

jonathon

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 11:24 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
I would also find it useful to know who is active and who isn't. Another way to go about it would be to have a sortable "Last Post Date" column in the member list. Then the owner could decide what threshold to use.

I'm also in agreement that some kind of process/capability/metric can help in identifying member active status and help keep group membership trim and fit.  But because different groups operate in different ways, the OP suggestion(s) wouldn't really work for Announcement groups for example as everyone but the mods (who post) would be flagged as "inactive", or for groups which have set the ReplyTo going to the poster only, etc, etc.  Rules depending on email delivery settings only for something like this wouldn't work that well because of folks who read online only, plus many groups do not allow "No Email".  And things could (would) get more complicated work-wise if a dashboard/setting is created to allow for setting/tweaking the "threshold" values and the like in order for the auto marking to work and be meaningful/useful to the particular group, so that means multiple system areas would get touched (group settings, member display, and any underlying supporting/provider areas), which means some work would be involved.

In contrast, Peter's idea of adding a sortable "Last Post Date" column on the member display would (most likely) be the easiest and quickest thing to implement as it would affect only one area, and it would give full flexibility to the group admin to do what they want with that displayed info (and members).  And because it is an "ongoing" value, it would prevent the possibility of a member getting accidentally removed by a mod if when the mods looks, a member who otherwise was posting in the earlier months, for the last 2 months (for example) hasn't posted anything so there would be a "inactive" label next to them, and if there was an impetus to trim the membership they may get thrown out with the bathwater.

Cheers,
Christos

Peter Cook

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Christos G. Psarras wrote:
the OP suggestion(s) wouldn't really work for Announcement groups
The only practical definition of "inactive" that I can think of for members in an announcement-only group is (a) they're email-only and (b) their delivery is set to "no email."

Pete

Chris Jones

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 08:13 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
The only practical definition of "inactive" that I can think of for members in an announcement-only group is (a) they're email-only and (b) their delivery is set to "no email."
Not on its own. On all except one of the groups I inhabit I have "Special" set; effectively "no mail". However, I look at the them all from time to time during the day so any No Email setting would have to be combined with log -- in information to get a true picture of my participation. Furthermore some groups are fairly inactive so unless I can see that there has been a change (as evidenced by the Latest Message column on the web interface) I may not visit one or two specific groups at all. Doesn't mean I have lost interest though.

Chris