moderated Attribute edited messages to the editor, not the original poster #suggestion

Yesterday I edited a message to redact a slanderous reference to an individual. I immediately warned the group member who wrote the message and put both him and the topic on moderation, and did not approve any subsequent messages of his.

This morning, in checking through the activity logs, I found an entry to the effect that I had approved a message of his because he was on moderation. This was disturbing, because I was certain that I had not approved any further messages from him, and I had to check through very carefully to make sure no further messages of his had gone through. Upon checking, I could deduce (though there was no clear indictaion) that the approval was for MY edit to his original (and only) message,

I have been aware for some time that edits of messages are attributed to the original poster and not the editor, and although it has always seemed wrong, it was never an issue for me in the past. But in a case, as today, where there is an out-of-control group member who has been put on permanent moderation, it can be at first confusing, and even disturbing, to see in the logs that a subsequent of message of theirs has been approved, when that was not really the case.

Would it be possible to attribute edits to the person who dd the edit, rather than to the original poster? Besides the confusion (and sometimes, chagrin) created by the wrong attribution, it also seems to make the most sense in general.

Slight correction: the situation is a bit more convoluted than I conveyed. The log entries read:

[member name] sent message [topic name] requiring approval because the user is moderated, via web
                 followed by

[moderator name - me] approved  [member name]'s message #123, [topic name], via web

The reason approval was required was not because the member was on moderation (which he is) but because the moderator in question - namely, me - was on moderation - which made it even more confusing, because the member IS on mod, and the submission was being attributed to him. (I keep myself on mod in all my groups to doublecheck content, correct addresses, etc. This is not so unusual as it sounds; I know a other mods who use this handy tool.) But even if that had not been the case, it still seems wrong to attribute an edit to the original poster in all the log entries.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
edits of messages are attributed to the original poster and not the editor
I'd like to be clear on this.  You're asking that edits of already posted messages list the editor, not a moderated message that is edited before approval, correct?

Duane

Correct, Duane. That’s what I’m suggesting, and only in the group and member activity logs and mod notifications. I want to see who made the edit, and/or is submitting it for approval (if the editor is moderated).

And if this change is NOT made, then I think that at minimum, the language could use more specificity. Instead of “because the user is moderated,” it needs to say WHICH user is moderated. In the case I’m posting about here, the log says “member A submitted a message” and continues, “requiring approval because THE USER is moderated.” But this is an incorrect reference because it implies that user A is moderated.  it’s actually user B - the editor - who is moderated, and that’s the reason the message requires approval.

On Sep 30, 2022, at 12:17 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
edits of messages are attributed to the original poster and not the editor
I'd like to be clear on this.  You're asking that edits of already posted messages list the editor, not a moderated message that is edited before approval, correct?

Yes, to specifically answer your question: I’m talking about already-posted messages. I don’t think edits of pending messsgex ard even logged, unless there’s been a recent change.

On Sep 30, 2022, at 12:17 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
edits of messages are attributed to the original poster and not the editor
I'd like to be clear on this.  You're asking that edits of already posted messages list the editor, not a moderated message that is edited before approval, correct?

Hi J,

I think I've fixed it. These examples are editing the message "member test" originally sent from member@... by the owner of the group, owner@....

The normal edited message activity log entries are (I added the 'and sent it to the group'):

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 2.12.27 PM.png

For the instance where the editor is moderated, this is what is generated after editing the message and then approving the edit:

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 2.10.51 PM.png

Please let me know if you have any questions or see anything amiss.

Mark,

This is getting closer, but it would not have fixed my issue today. The problem is this entry, which is exactly the same as before on its own:

owner@... approved member@...'s message $515, member test, via web

It still reads as if it's member@...'s message that has been subject to moderation and is now being approved. It doesn't help that there is a prior entry explaining that there was an edit, and that the edited message is subject to approval. I would still have been confused this morning. The message number is given only after approval, and until approval, all messages being submitted and approved are using the same title (namely, the topic title). In fact, it was only after clicking on the approved message (with the message #) that I realized the entry was talking about the member's original (but now edited) message, not anything he'd tried to post subsequent to that.

What I am suggesting/requesting is that the approval entry read that "an edit" of the message has been approved. Without that, it still looks like a moderated member had a message approved - when in my situation yesterday/today, that was not the case. The moderated (non-mod) member had no new message approved. And the two entries - "requires approval because owner is moderated" and approval - might be separated by a whole lot of other entries.

Could the approval entry instead read something like this?
owner@... approved owner@...'s edit of member.example's message #505, via web

(Discussing this is still a little confusing because in the above, this could be two different owner/mods, although they are likely the same - owner1 edits, owner1 approves.)

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 03:02 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
It doesn't help that there is a prior entry explaining that there was an edit,
Well, it helps a little. :)
Thanks.

Hi J,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 3:02 PM J_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

Could the approval entry instead read something like this?
owner@... approved owner@...'s edit of member.example's message #505, via web

Unfortunately the way the activity log system is currently structured, I can't add a 3rd person reference. What I did to was add `an edit of` to the log entry, so that it reads like:

 owner@... approved an edit of member@... 's message #505, member test, via web

Hopefully this will help.

Mark

Mark,