Topics

moderated Another Yahoo Groups outage

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 06:52 PM, Alisdair MacRae Birch wrote:

the zip file contains all the data (posts, files, photos etc) from
all the groups that I was ever subscribed to
That's actually somewhat scary!
--
J
I'm curious to see if I ever get anything. I requested the contents of the groups I belonged to, including one group that Yahoo later said didn't exist. Anymore, I'm convinced Yahoo could screw up an anvil.

Then again, pessimists get a lot of nice surprises. We'll see!

Dano

Duane

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 02:24 PM, Jerry Peek wrote:
I understand that Yahoo will keep the messages online after December 14th.
That's not the way most people are interpreting the YG announcement.  The say you can continue as an email only group, but specifically mentioned that Conversations will be deleted.  Of course, if their deletion of content is as accurate as their "no uploads" deadline, the messages may be there for months! ;>)

Duane

Larry Denenberg

Us too. We got our ducks in a row before December 1, but that wasn't soon enough, it turns out.

I have independently requested my content from Yahoo, and (like another poster) was surprised to get *all* content from *all* groups I belong too. Perhaps if group transfers were re-enabled just for member lists, or maybe for everything but messages, Mark could arrange for restoring messages later, at leisure, from these downloaded content stores, rather than from Yahoo itself.

Adrian Groenendyk <amgroene1@...>

Hi,

I updated to premium a few weeks ago but just got around to transferring from Yahoo.  I only need to transfer members and emails.  There are no files, attachments, links, ect.  In addition to wanting to know if you will re-enable transfers, I would also like to know if this is something I can do myself.  If it is, can you please provide some guidance.

Thanks,
Adrian

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 02:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Of course, if their deletion of content is as accurate as their "no uploads" deadline, the messages may be there for months
Ha!

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

Laurence Marks <marks@...>

Adrian Goenendyk wrote
I updated to premium a few weeks ago but just got around to transferring from Yahoo.  I only need to transfer members and emails.  There are no files, attachments, links, ect.  In addition to wanting to know if you will re-enable transfers, I would also like to know if this is something I can do myself.  If it is, can you please provide some guidance.

If Groups.io cannot accommodate you, you should be able to do this yourself with two pieces of software from Personal Groupware.

Personal Groupware Offline (PGO4) automatically downloads all the messages (and attachments, files, and photos if you have them.

Personal Groupware Offline to Groups,io (PGO-2-GIO) uploads the files to a group you create in Groups.io. Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.

At this very moment I just checked and downloads from Yahoo are working.

--
Larry Marks

Duane

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 07:05 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
Personal Groupware Offline to Groups,io (PGO-2-GIO) uploads the files to a group you create in Groups.io. Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.
That's incorrect.  Messages will be uploaded based on date and time, being assigned new numbers by GIO, at a rate of ~50 per hour.  I believe the original message number will be IN the message though.  Attachments may be included, but that's not working at the moment according to Wilson.  (He also mentioned that PGO is seeing glitches at YG and doesn't always get the data.)

Duane

Patty Stokes

Count me as one of the desperate ones. I was not smart enough to sign up for this group until today, when I found to my shock that there was a Dec. 1 deadline, and that transfers were already disabled. I had imagined that we'd be fine if we requested the transfer in the first week of December.

It took my group a long time to settle on a solution (and then I got sick). Really frustrating that we are now boxed out - I am begging for a couple more days! 

I've saved my group's membership list. What we really want to preserve are the message archives. I've requested them from Yahoo but understand it can take days, plus I'm concerned that it will have other groups' messages intermingled.

Please consider reopening transfer requests for a few more days! Thanks you!

Laurence Marks <marks@...>

Duane wrote:
Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.
That's incorrect.  Messages will be uploaded based on date and time, being assigned new numbers by GIO, at a rate of ~50 per hour.  I believe the original message number will be IN the message though.  Attachments may be included, but that's not working at the moment according to Wilson.  (He also mentioned that PGO is seeing glitches at YG and doesn't always get the data.)

Our Yahoo messages start with number 1. There are no messages in our GIO group. The Yahoo messages will be uploaded in sequence. Hence GIO message numbers will be created to match the Yahoo message numbers.

From time to time I had pruned the Yahoo group--there are missing messages. Some were notices for meetings long past. Some were "Me too!" messages. And there were a lot of inadvertent Replies to Group that were intended to be Replies to Sender. The uploader keeps the message numbers in sync by uploading an empty message for each missing message. This should serve to assure that the new message numbers assigned by GIO match the Yahoo message numbers. It's one of the things I'm testing.

Larry

--
Larry Marks

Daniel Allen

Big thanks to Alasdair who recommended requesting all my group data from Yahoo. I requested it yesterday around 10pm, and received it 24 hours later. All the messages from the list I'm concerned about.
So even if the easy method doesn't work, perhaps we can do it one of the other ways.

So, some encouragement for those who are in the same boat, missing the Dec 1 cutoff due to Yahoo's yahoo-yness. You can at least get mbox files for your groups.

Still crossing my fingers about the "Easy Transfer" method, though I'll understand if them is indeed the breaks.

Thanks to all for your support here.
- Daniel

Simon Hedges

Hi Mark,

I understand your position – but it was yourself that disabled the ability to request a transfer before your 1st December deadline was reached, this preventing me from meeting that deadline for the requests.  I realise that this is driven by issues with Yahoo, and I would accept that this may no be possible to transfer them all, but I would have liked to have been able to add my final group to the list awaiting transfer.

Simon

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:12 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Another Yahoo Groups outage #transferupdate

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Kathleen Michels <michelskm2016@...> wrote:

Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?

Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,

Mark

Daniel Allen

First, big thanks to Alasdair who recommended requesting all my group data from Yahoo. I requested it yesterday around 10pm, and received it 24 hours later. All the messages from the list I'm concerned about.
So even if the easy method doesn't work, perhaps we can do it one of the other ways.

So, some encouragement for those who are in the same boat, missing the Dec 1 cutoff due to Yahoo's ... yahooyness.
You can at least get mbox files for your groups.

Still crossing my fingers about the "Easy Transfer" being able to work- but will understand if, indeed, them's the breaks.

Thanks to all for your support and advice here.
-Daniel

Eric Johnson

I missed it. What is the manner of requesting the group data from Yahoo? What form is it in and how do you backload it into Groups?

Please.

Eric Johnson

On Sunday, December 1, 2019, 9:50:35 PM CST, Daniel Allen <dada.da@...> wrote:

Big thanks to Alasdair who recommended requesting all my group data from Yahoo. I requested it yesterday around 10pm, and received it 24 hours later. All the messages from the list I'm concerned about.

So, some encouragement for those who are in the same boat, missing the Dec 1 cutoff due to Yahoo's yahoo-yness. You can at least get mbox files for your groups.

Still crossing my fingers about the "Easy Transfer" method, though I'll understand if them is indeed the breaks.

Thanks to all for your support here.
- Daniel

Hi,

As a customer of groups.io, I expect the company to keep their commitment.  From the emails, I understand the technical difficulties at play here but from a customer relations perspective you can’t do this.  You will need to figure out how to grandfather in folks who tried but were unable to request transfer by the Dec 1st deadline.

Thanks,

Adrian

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Hedges
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Hi Mark,

I understand your position – but it was yourself that disabled the ability to request a transfer before your 1st December deadline was reached, this preventing me from meeting that deadline for the requests.  I realise that this is driven by issues with Yahoo, and I would accept that this may no be possible to transfer them all, but I would have liked to have been able to add my final group to the list awaiting transfer.

Simon

Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?

Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,

Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

I think some who are rightfully concerned need to step back and take a few deep breaths.

Mark has been doing a superhuman job forced by circumstances entirely beyond his control to move an incredible number of groups at risk.  The additional complication of Yahoo’s off again-on again servers was and remains unpredictable, and costs him transfer time that, like an unfilled airline seat, cannot be recovered.

He has said he will refund any group that has prepaid that he cannot get moved over, and I am confident he will do just that.  In the interim past performance strongly suggests he will continue to move heaven and earth between now and when Yahoo self-destructs.  

Procrastination within groups may not be the fault of group owners, but the effect(s) are what they are.  So long as Mark continues to do all he can do, I fail to see where or how he can be credibly faulted.  If he doesn’t run out of time before he runs out of patient, he should be elevated to saint in my book.  In the end, there WILL be a point at which he says “that’s it, I’m done” (and maybe sleep for a week).

WRB

— 

On Dec 1, 2019, at 11:15 PM, Adrian Groenendyk <amgroene1@...> wrote:

Hi,

As a customer of groups.io, I expect the company to keep their commitment.  From the emails, I understand the technical difficulties at play here but from a customer relations perspective you can’t do this.  You will need to figure out how to grandfather in folks who tried but were unable to request transfer by the Dec 1st deadline.

Thanks,

Adrian

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Hedges
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:51 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Another Yahoo Groups outage #transferupdate

Hi Mark,

I understand your position – but it was yourself that disabled the ability to request a transfer before your 1st December deadline was reached, this preventing me from meeting that deadline for the requests.  I realise that this is driven by issues with Yahoo, and I would accept that this may no be possible to transfer them all, but I would have liked to have been able to add my final group to the list awaiting transfer.

Simon 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:12 PM

Thanks,
Mark

RCardona

Adrian,

GIO has kept their commitment and has bent over backwards to help as many as possible.  If a third party, Yahoo, continues to introduce difficulties in the transfer process, I fail to understand how this becomes GIO failing to keep their commitment.   Individuals who requested transfer way prior to 1 Dec will be lucky if they even get their transfers completed before the alleged 14 Dec deadline.   I am sure if Mark is able to transfer more he will and will announce it. 

RC

On 12/2/19 12:15 AM, Adrian Groenendyk wrote:

Hi,

As a customer of groups.io, I expect the company to keep their commitment.  From the emails, I understand the technical difficulties at play here but from a customer relations perspective you can’t do this.  You will need to figure out how to grandfather in folks who tried but were unable to request transfer by the Dec 1st deadline.

Thanks,

Adrian

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Hedges
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Hi Mark,

Simon

Thanks,

Mark

Daniel Allen

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:33 AM, Eric Johnson wrote:
I missed it. What is the manner of requesting the group data from Yahoo?
Hi Eric, it's a bit earlier in the thread:
On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 09:52 PM, Alisdair MacRae Birch wrote:

While we all wait ... If you haven't done so it is probably a good idea to request all your group data from Yahoo. This page has instructions:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/4/20917500/yahoo-group-data-download-how-to

I put the request in several weeks ago and a few days ago got an email notice that it was ready to be downloaded. The zip file I received was over 2Gb. What is interesting and surprising is the zip file contains all the data (posts, files, photos etc) from all the groups that I was ever subscribed to including 10 that no longer exist or are inaccessible! I don't know if this is some change Yahoo/Verizon has made but I really only expected to receive the posts, YMMV.

However, that is raw data; in .mbox format.

What form is it in and how do you backload it into Groups?
I don't know the answer to the latter question; however I hope the question's now moot, because Mark has re-enabled the Easy Import until December 5, 2019 at 9AM Pacific Time. 
Yes! Thank you Mark!

-Daniel

Derek Milliner

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 05:38 PM, Ann Kelsey wrote:
What my group really needs are the photos and member list
Ann, try downloading Wilson Logan's Personal Groupware tool (http://www.personalgroupware.com/pgoffline-index.htm) - you may have seen it mentioned by many people here. It's likely to be subject to the same Yahoo-inflicted problems as Mark & the team are seeing, but you might get lucky. The link may stay stable long enough for you to fetch your membership & photos, which at least leaves you a manual route to recreate your memberships in the event that GIO are unable to transfer your group.

We used it to get a backup of our Y! group ahead of the transfer (happily we got in early on that). Definitely gives you a sense of security, assuming you can get past the Y! nonsense now of course.

John Shotsky <jshotsky@...>

I watched Yahoo degrade over the years. First from Egroups, which worked well until Yahoo got ahold of it, then when Marissa came on board Yahoo and decided to monetize yahoo ygroups, she caused the trolly to leave the track. As an owner of quite a number of groups on a wide range of subjects, I saw the handwriting on the wall. Member management became very difficult. I looked constantly for replacements, and in 2018, chose Groups.io as my solution. I moved them all at that time, and that did not cost anything back then. But Yahoo has continued to degrade, and when Verizon bought it, I was positive that if it couldn’t make money with it, it would remove the costly parts – thus an email groups service only, which is what Google did with Google groups as well.

Knowing that eventually, there would be a mass migration, I jumped early. We have been using it almost 2 years now, and I must say we are more than satisfied – it is more capable than Yahoo groups ever was, with its stingy file storage, etc.

Sadly, the mass migration is like any other – lots of missteps, too many deadlines, and too many people that waited until the very last minute. Yahoo (Verizon) is the cause of this confusion and difficulty, and the blame should be placed right in their hands. Or, more correctly, Marissa Mayer, who was eventually fired, is the cause of the downturn of Yahoo groups, and it is a bit surprising to me that it has lasted from then to now. So I just advise all to ride through this rough period, get what you can from Yahoo, and move on, happily. I did download a whole group that I’d belonged to for 20 years, as soon as I learned how, and that was  over 1gb of data/files/photos. I have yet to even refer back to it.

Regards,

John

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of txercoupemuseum.org
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 9:52 PM

I think some who are rightfully concerned need to step back and take a few deep breaths.

Mark has been doing a superhuman job forced by circumstances entirely beyond his control to move an incredible number of groups at risk.  The additional complication of Yahoo’s off again-on again servers was and remains unpredictable, and costs him transfer time that, like an unfilled airline seat, cannot be recovered.

He has said he will refund any group that has prepaid that he cannot get moved over, and I am confident he will do just that.  In the interim past performance strongly suggests he will continue to move heaven and earth between now and when Yahoo self-destructs.  

Procrastination within groups may not be the fault of group owners, but the effect(s) are what they are.  So long as Mark continues to do all he can do, I fail to see where or how he can be credibly faulted.  If he doesn’t run out of time before he runs out of patient, he should be elevated to saint in my book.  In the end, there WILL be a point at which he says “that’s it, I’m done” (and maybe sleep for a week).

WRB

— 

On Dec 1, 2019, at 11:15 PM, Adrian Groenendyk <amgroene1@...> wrote:

Hi,

As a customer of groups.io, I expect the company to keep their commitment.  From the emails, I understand the technical difficulties at play here but from a customer relations perspective you can’t do this.  You will need to figure out how to grandfather in folks who tried but were unable to request transfer by the Dec 1st deadline.

Thanks,

Adrian

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Simon Hedges
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 8:51 PM

Hi Mark,

I understand your position – but it was yourself that disabled the ability to request a transfer before your 1st December deadline was reached, this preventing me from meeting that deadline for the requests.  I realise that this is driven by issues with Yahoo, and I would accept that this may no be possible to transfer them all, but I would have liked to have been able to add my final group to the list awaiting transfer.

Simon 

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:12 PM

Thanks,

Mark

Hi,

I was successful at downloading all Yahoo email using PGO4.  Do you have a link for PGO-2-GIO so I can move the mail to groups.io?

Thanks,

Adrian

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Laurence Marks
Sent: Sunday, December 1, 2019 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Another Yahoo Groups outage

Adrian Goenendyk wrote

If Groups.io cannot accommodate you, you should be able to do this yourself with two pieces of software from Personal Groupware.

Personal Groupware Offline (PGO4) automatically downloads all the messages (and attachments, files, and photos if you have them.

At this very moment I just checked and downloads from Yahoo are working.

PG Offline - Download Yahoo Groups, Messages, Files and Photos

PG Offline - Download Yahoo Groups, Messages, Files and Photos

PG Offline downloads Yahoo Groups, Messages, Files and Photos.

Larry

--
Larry Marks