Topics

moderated Another Yahoo Groups outage

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 06:52 PM, Alisdair MacRae Birch wrote:

the zip file contains all the data (posts, files, photos etc) from
all the groups that I was ever subscribed to
That's actually somewhat scary!
I'm curious to see if I ever get anything. I requested the contents of the groups I belonged to, including one group that Yahoo later said didn't exist. Anymore, I'm convinced Yahoo could screw up an anvil.

Then again, pessimists get a lot of nice surprises. We'll see!

Dano

Duane

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 02:24 PM, Jerry Peek wrote:
I understand that Yahoo will keep the messages online after December 14th.
That's not the way most people are interpreting the YG announcement.  The say you can continue as an email only group, but specifically mentioned that Conversations will be deleted.  Of course, if their deletion of content is as accurate as their "no uploads" deadline, the messages may be there for months! ;>)

Duane

Larry Denenberg

Us too. We got our ducks in a row before December 1, but that wasn't soon enough, it turns out.

I have independently requested my content from Yahoo, and (like another poster) was surprised to get *all* content from *all* groups I belong too. Perhaps if group transfers were re-enabled just for member lists, or maybe for everything but messages, Mark could arrange for restoring messages later, at leisure, from these downloaded content stores, rather than from Yahoo itself.

Adrian Groenendyk <amgroene1@...>

Hi,

I updated to premium a few weeks ago but just got around to transferring from Yahoo.  I only need to transfer members and emails.  There are no files, attachments, links, ect.  In addition to wanting to know if you will re-enable transfers, I would also like to know if this is something I can do myself.  If it is, can you please provide some guidance.

Thanks,
Adrian

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 02:50 PM, Duane wrote:
Of course, if their deletion of content is as accurate as their "no uploads" deadline, the messages may be there for months
Ha!

Laurence Marks <marks@...>

Adrian Goenendyk wrote
I updated to premium a few weeks ago but just got around to transferring from Yahoo.  I only need to transfer members and emails.  There are no files, attachments, links, ect.  In addition to wanting to know if you will re-enable transfers, I would also like to know if this is something I can do myself.  If it is, can you please provide some guidance.

If Groups.io cannot accommodate you, you should be able to do this yourself with two pieces of software from Personal Groupware.

Personal Groupware Offline (PGO4) automatically downloads all the messages (and attachments, files, and photos if you have them.

Personal Groupware Offline to Groups,io (PGO-2-GIO) uploads the files to a group you create in Groups.io. Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.

At this very moment I just checked and downloads from Yahoo are working.

--
Larry Marks

Duane

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 07:05 PM, Laurence Marks wrote:
Personal Groupware Offline to Groups,io (PGO-2-GIO) uploads the files to a group you create in Groups.io. Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.
That's incorrect.  Messages will be uploaded based on date and time, being assigned new numbers by GIO, at a rate of ~50 per hour.  I believe the original message number will be IN the message though.  Attachments may be included, but that's not working at the moment according to Wilson.  (He also mentioned that PGO is seeing glitches at YG and doesn't always get the data.)

Duane

Patty Stokes

Count me as one of the desperate ones. I was not smart enough to sign up for this group until today, when I found to my shock that there was a Dec. 1 deadline, and that transfers were already disabled. I had imagined that we'd be fine if we requested the transfer in the first week of December.

It took my group a long time to settle on a solution (and then I got sick). Really frustrating that we are now boxed out - I am begging for a couple more days!

I've saved my group's membership list. What we really want to preserve are the message archives. I've requested them from Yahoo but understand it can take days, plus I'm concerned that it will have other groups' messages intermingled.

Please consider reopening transfer requests for a few more days! Thanks you!

Laurence Marks <marks@...>

Duane wrote:
Message numbers will be maintained, and attachments (if any) will be retained.
That's incorrect.  Messages will be uploaded based on date and time, being assigned new numbers by GIO, at a rate of ~50 per hour.  I believe the original message number will be IN the message though.  Attachments may be included, but that's not working at the moment according to Wilson.  (He also mentioned that PGO is seeing glitches at YG and doesn't always get the data.)

Our Yahoo messages start with number 1. There are no messages in our GIO group. The Yahoo messages will be uploaded in sequence. Hence GIO message numbers will be created to match the Yahoo message numbers.

From time to time I had pruned the Yahoo group--there are missing messages. Some were notices for meetings long past. Some were "Me too!" messages. And there were a lot of inadvertent Replies to Group that were intended to be Replies to Sender. The uploader keeps the message numbers in sync by uploading an empty message for each missing message. This should serve to assure that the new message numbers assigned by GIO match the Yahoo message numbers. It's one of the things I'm testing.

Larry

--
Larry Marks

Daniel Allen

Big thanks to Alasdair who recommended requesting all my group data from Yahoo. I requested it yesterday around 10pm, and received it 24 hours later. All the messages from the list I'm concerned about.
So even if the easy method doesn't work, perhaps we can do it one of the other ways.

So, some encouragement for those who are in the same boat, missing the Dec 1 cutoff due to Yahoo's yahoo-yness. You can at least get mbox files for your groups.

Still crossing my fingers about the "Easy Transfer" method, though I'll understand if them is indeed the breaks.

Thanks to all for your support here.
- Daniel

Simon Hedges

Hi Mark,

I understand your position – but it was yourself that disabled the ability to request a transfer before your 1st December deadline was reached, this preventing me from meeting that deadline for the requests.  I realise that this is driven by issues with Yahoo, and I would accept that this may no be possible to transfer them all, but I would have liked to have been able to add my final group to the list awaiting transfer.

Simon