moderated Annual fee re-billing question and a #suggestion for it #suggestion

Hi Mark,

I really messed up and forgot to put (sponsor) the annual fee amount for one group before the renewal date yesterday (21st), and I got the downgrade reminder email as GIO attempted to bill the amount but nothing was available.

I since went and sponsor-added the funds to the group: (and others have contributed as well since then, this is from yesterday)

My question part is, what happens now?  What complicates things is that the "Pay Invoice" button from only allowing one to pay by a CC and that's it, it doesn't seem to be aware that there are funds in the sponsorship account and the manual is not quite clear on how this will play out:

If no credit card is on file when the time comes for the group’s paid plan to be renewed, and the group has insufficient funds in its sponsorship reserve, the system sends an overdue notice to all group owners and moderators stating that the group has two weeks to pay the invoice (minus any sponsorship reserve amount) or the group will be automatically downgraded. Be aware that Groups.io currently has no mechanism to automatically pay an invoice if additional sponsorship amounts come in to cover it.

in other words technically there is a $0 overdue invoice (fee minus sponsorship reserve) but there's no mechanism to force it to recalculate (and apply) that.

My suggestion part is to allow the "Pay Invoice" process to check first the sponsorship account and if it finds [sufficient*] funds it applies them to the overdue invoice, and only if the sponsorship account had zero [or not-enough*] balance then the button would check the CC textbox for validity since that's the only remaining funding source now.  This would allow one to make an immediate payment using the sponsorship account and settle things right away.

* I guess these conditions would depend on how your system is setup regarding partial-amount billing/re-billing.

Cheers,
Christos

Hi Christos,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 12:37 PM Christos Psarras <christos@...> wrote:

I really messed up and forgot to put (sponsor) the annual fee amount for one group before the renewal date yesterday (21st), and I got the downgrade reminder email as GIO attempted to bill the amount but nothing was available.

I since went and sponsor-added the funds to the group: (and others have contributed as well since then, this is from yesterday)

You triggered an unanticipated scenario. I've fixed it and you should be able to go to the billing page and click the Pay Invoice button now without having to worry about any credit card charges.

Hi Mark,

You triggered an unanticipated scenario.

LOL, yeah, leave it to me to boldly go where no user has gone before. (TM)

No wonder the GMF thread of this got no answers at all.

I've fixed it and you should be able to go to the billing page and click the Pay Invoice button now without having to worry about any credit card charges.

Worked great, thank you very much.

Cheers,
Christos