moderated Annoying text replacement in search fields #bug

Andy

(I'm not sure whether to call this a #bug, but it feels like one.)

Preface:  There are many places in Groups.io where it does not work to clear the contents of boxes or search fields.  If I am viewing the Members list and then Search within it for some text string, and then clear the contents of the Search box, Groups.io automagically re-populates the Search box with my last search string, as if it can't let it go.  The same thing happens when searching in the Activity log, or Messages, or Files, and probably everywhere else.  It's a known G.io 'feature', but it's annoying!  The Morale is, don't do that.  One has to click Members again (or Activity or Messages or Files or whatever), to start over with a clean view.  OK, I can live with that; and I am gradually becoming accustomed to having to do that whenever I use Groups.io.  It affects all users, not just moderators.

But the more weird / annoying thing happens if the search string had any non-alphanumeric text, and I try to clear it.  Groups.io replaces the non-alphanumeric characters with their hex equivalents.

For example, let's say I search for 'a*b'.  I don't know if Groups.io treats * as a wildcard, but let's give it a try.  Now I see the results, and let's say I want to go back to the unfiltered list, so I clear the contents of the Search box because I forgot (or didn't know) that Groups.io does not let me do that.  However, Groups.io now re-populates the Search box with 'a%2Ab'.  That is, it turned the '*' character into '%2A' when it re-populated the Search box.  Of course nothing comes up from this search because none of the entries contained that actual text string.  All efforts to delete it fail.

Can Groups.io be changed so that it doesn't convert '*' to '%2A'?  And not convert '[' to '%5B'?  And so on.

Better yet, can Groups.io allow us to clear a Search field and not insist on re-filling it with a corrupt version of its previous contents?  (Is there any reason why Groups.io must re-populate the search field that we want cleared?  Does anyone find it useful that it does this?  Sorry if this has been answered already.)

Andy

Not just search fields. It’s also very hard to get rid of copied text in a reply message. You can delete it from your draft a hundred times but ultimately, the only way to get rid of it is to delete the draft and start over. Because apparently, it’s not saved in the draft itself, but one level higher up. I’m used to it….

On Jul 20, 2021, at 12:06 PM, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

[...]

I also agree it is annoying as it causes one to do unnecessary clicks (the savvy/savvier ones) or causes one to contact the mods or post to the group to ask what's going on (the non-savvy ones).

Seems to me something is not getting reset or "un-cached".  The search query value can be specified in two places in the URL parameter list, the third parameter in the &p= list, plus in the &searchq= additional parameter, and in many cases, one of them doesn't clear, when it should be.  If one clears the search box and clicks the Search button, the searchq parameter clears in the resulting URL but not in the 3rd parameter, it still stays there, hence after the refresh the search box gets repopulated again when the parameter list is parsed.  If one manually clears both search parameters in the URL and presses enter, then things work fine.  So either something in the code remembers something it shouldn't or maybe the Search click isn't correctly clearing both places.

It may also be a combination of something not refreshing properly, because if one has a search term in there in order to display a certain membership subset, and then let's say deletes one of those members, the page acts like it refreshed but it really doesn't, leaving the member you just removed still showing in the list, causing a double-take initially, and requiring a manual refresh.  I think this bit also has been around for a while.

Regarding the hex codes, this must have been introduced  (relatively) recently when one clicks on Search, as beforehand, when one would click on let's say the DisplayName in the member list (to introduce the parameters in the URL), and then add a search value (hotmail in this case), the URL would change to something like this:

.../members?p=email,members,,50,1,0,0&searchq=hotmail

or the same but with the additional csrf= parameter:

.../members?csrf=some_number&p=email,members,hotmail,50,1,0,0&searchq=hotmail

But if you do this now, it changes to this:

.../members?csrf=some_number&p=email%2Cmembers%2Chotmail%2C50%2C1%2C0%2C0&searchq=hotmail

One can manually enter the parameters with the commas in the URL, and manipulate them to do a search and navigate through the result set without touching the Search button, but as soon as the Search button is clicked, the URL changes to the hex codes.

Cheers,
Christos

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 03:06 PM, Andy wrote:
There are many places in Groups.io where it does not work to clear the contents of boxes or search fields.  If I am viewing the Members list and then Search within it for some text string, and then clear the contents of the Search box, Groups.io automagically re-populates the Search box with my last search string, as if it can't let it go.
This may be necessary in order to be able to subsequently apply a filter to the search hits.

https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28987

Regards,
Bruce

Hi All,

I believe I've fixed this. Meaning, I really think I've fixed it, and I certainly tested it a bunch. Please let me know if you see anything amiss.

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 08:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see anything amiss.
When I do a search on the message base I'm getting one hit per page.

FYI,
Bruce

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 5:10 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 08:03 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Please let me know if you see anything amiss.
When I do a search on the message base I'm getting one hit per page.

Normal message search? I do this and it seems to work for me: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=recentpostdate%252Fsticky%2C%2C%2C20%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=spam

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 08:20 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Normal message search?
When I cut and paste your URL into the browser address bar it seems to display correctly.

But when I search on "yahoo" myself the URL came back https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2C%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=yahoo

See provided screenshot.

This is in Google Chrome.

Regards,
Bruce

Mark,

It seems it works fine in the member list, both hitting Enter or clicking on the Search button, and also with having or not a filter applied.

In Messages search, if one is in Topics view all works fine there as well, but in Messages view you get the problem Bruce reported.

Cheers,
Christos

Mark,

A bit more clarification on this for messages, I did some further testing.  The part of clearing the search text and not sticking seems to work fine but there is a bit of quirkiness, in both Topics and Messages view:

A: If one starts at the Topics view, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topics

and searches for spam, things look ok, you get back 842 results
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=recentpostdate%25252Fsticky%2C%2Cspam%2C50%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=spam

If one clears the search text and enter/clicks, the search box clears, albeit the search text still shows in the URL's 3rd parameter (I guess p3 is for page nav when the search box is populated?):
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=recentpostdate%25252Fsticky%2C%2Cspam%2C50%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=

The screen kinda reverts to Message view though, I thought it would go back to Topics view, but in any case, if one searches for something else now, like savvy, 96 messages are returned, and the URL changes to
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=Created%2C%2C%2C50%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=savvy , with p1=recentpostdate changing to Created and p2=sticky going away.

If one now clears that search text, the URL resets to https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=Created%2C%2Csavvy%2C50%2C2%2C0%2C0&q= and all messages are returned as expected.

B: If one starts at the Messages view, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/messages

and searches for spam, the same 842 results are returned but in 842 pages, one at a page as Bruce's screenshot shows.  The URL is
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2C%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=spam

If the search text is cleared, all the messages are returned as expected, but now still only one displayed at a page (and hitting the 10K limit it seems), and again with p3 still showing the search text
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/search?p=created%2C0%2Cspam%2C1%2C2%2C0%2C0&q=

Searching for savvy now returns the 96 messages, again one at a page.

Interestingly, if one uses the <> nav buttons in either case, the URL resets to using commas instead of the hex values, and p3 goes away, unless q has a value in which case p3 stays but q goes away).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Christos

Hi All,

I've pushed a fix. Please let me know if you see any other issues.