moderated Allow Users to Disable Email Address Truncation on Website #suggestion

To Whom it May Concern,

I am a member of several groups, however I elect not to receive emails to my email address. Instead, I manage all groups via the website so that I can keep my inbox clean while participating in email groups.

I am subscribed to at least two groups which send out daily event schedules. Each daily message  contains the email addresses of several event coordinators, staff members, etc., however the Groups.io website truncates them. As a result, I am unable to send emails to the coordinators  without receiving the group's messages in my inbox in some form, which is something I am unwilling to do as I already receive a large number of emails and don't wish to add to the pile.

I have emailed Group_Help to enquire if this feature is already available, however I was advised that this truncation is controlled by group owners only. I would therefore request that the ability to control email address truncation be made available to a group's members as a global setting within Groups.io settings. This way, group owners can prevent scrapers and bots from scraping email addresses from archives, however legitimate group members can compose emails to email addresses provided within messages using their mail clients with no difficulty.

Regards,

Noah Carver

Duane

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 03:28 PM, Noah Carver wrote:
I would therefore request that the ability to control email address truncation be made available to a group's members as a global setting within Groups.io settings
Wouldn't this have to override the group setting?

however legitimate group members can compose emails to email addresses provided within messages using their mail clients with no difficulty.
Though not quite as easy, you also have the option of using the Email button on the person's Profile, assuming they're group members, in the Directory.  For that to work, they'd have to have a profile and make it available/public to the group.

Duane

Pete Cook

Noah, email address visibility in the archive is a privacy setting, and the ability to change privacy settings is by design available only to owners and moderators. I personally would be 100% against any members being able to override that setting (or any other group-wide settings, for that matter).

{Pete

It should make no difference if I receive an email containing addresses using my email client or the website so long as I am the member of the list. I would understand your privacy concern if I wasn't a member of the lists in question and was requesting an exception on that basis, however I am a member. I believe that it is  unreasonable to prevent legitimate members who choose to use the website rather than their mail clients from accessing email addresses which are purposefully provided in a message due to privacy concerns which don't seem to make sense. How is it more private to receive an email containing contact email addresses in GMail, but not private to receive these same messages in Groups.io's interface? There should not be a double standard for those who choose to receive list emails in their inbox and those who choose not to receive them there. I understand redacting email addresses in public archives, but I don't understand redacting addresses for members viewing the archives. Can you explain your rationale for allowing group owners from redacting addresses from members and nonmembers alike?

Duane

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 06:04 PM, Noah Carver wrote:
unreasonable to prevent legitimate members who choose to use the website rather than their mail clients from accessing email addresses which are purposefully provided in a message
That's entirely up to the group owner(s).  If they change the setting for the group, you'd see them online.  If they have a concern, they can read all about the settings in the Owners Manual.

Duane

Donald Hellen

Noah . . .

On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 13:13:53 -0800, "Noah Carver" <noahcarver494@gmail.com>
wrote:

I was advised that this truncation is controlled by group owners only. I would therefore request that the ability to control email address truncation be made available to a group's members as a global setting within Groups.io settings. This way, group owners can prevent scrapers and bots from scraping email addresses from archives, however legitimate group members can compose emails to email addresses provided within messages using their mail clients with no difficulty.
How then would you prevent scrapers from joining the group, changing the
setting, then scraping email addresses from the group?

A scraper would be "seen" by the platform as a legitimate member as there is no
way to verify a person's intent on what they will do in the group.

Donald