moderated add "unrejection" feature (similar to "unban") #suggestion

Sometimes we reject a pending member because they fail to complete our questionnaire either in time, or in enough detail, etc. Meanwhile, we usually tentatively set up other aspects of their page - display name, some parts of their signature (which includes most of the answers from their questionnaire about their cat's medical history), etc. When they're rejected, everything goes away except the activity log. If they subsequently complete the questionnaire, or later decide to answer the rest of the questions they missed, we have to redo their membership page from scratch.

I know that a workaround consisting of "do nothing until they adequately respond" is reasonable, but sometimes - often - it's possible to start the setup process before everything is complete. And then later it's all lost. And to get them back in, we have to Direct Add and resurrect all of the information. So it would be nice, if not to onerous to implement, to be able to save more than the activity log for rejected members, and allow us to "unreject" a previously rejected member.

Chris Jones

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 09:49 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Sometimes we reject a pending member because they fail to complete our questionnaire either in time, or in enough detail, etc
Is that an "active" rejection by moderator action or an auto - rejection by 14 day time - out? If the former then why start setting things up for them? If the latter why not use the "Claim" capability to stop auto - rejection?

Chris

Pete Cook

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 05:19 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
why start setting things up for them
I can see the logic. In my group we reject join requests if the person doesn't respond to our questionnaire within 12 hours, but many of them reapply and are ultimately accepted. We don't do any "setup" (the person joining makes any member settings changes they need to) but J does, so it make sense.

Pete

On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 02:19 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
f the former then why start setting things up for them?
As I said, the obvious "workaround" is to do nothing until everything is complete, which is what you're suggesting here. And in our case, it's more convenient to start setting up the membership as soon as we have some info.

What's unusual is that in the Past Members list, the member shows up as "Rejected," which you can click on to see their Notes and Activity Log. However, if you Direct Add the same email address, all of that information is missing (even though it's the identical email address, and the account's Display Name is retained) and has to be copied from the Past Members--->Notes page.

Michael Pavan

"Claim" the Pending Member (to stop the automatic Rejection after 14 days of no Moderator action) if you are going to 'tentatively set up other aspects of their page'.

On Jan 5, 2022, at 4:48 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Someone else suggested that. Not talking about an automatic rejection. And how the pending member is or is not going to respond is not known a priori. I’m certainly not going to Claim all pending membership and let them accumulate.

I’m not inclined to argue this feature. Mark will either do it or not. It would simply be an added convenience.

I do think there’s something funky - perhaps could even be described as buggy - about the fact that the same account (email address), once rejected and subsequently direct added, appears in the Past Memberx and Members lists with completely different data in each list.

On Jan 5, 2022, at 7:04 PM, Michael Pavan <michaelpavan@comcast.net> wrote:

[...]

I would call it "restore member." It could be applied to any past member.

The data exists - it's being saved in the past members list (even for rejected members). It just disappears when you direct add the member back in.