moderated Add moderator notification for non-member attempting to post #suggestion


Peter Cook
 

In my group when a message comes in from a non-member email address (shown in the activity log as "Non-member soandso@... attempted to send message..."), 99% of the time it's an actual member who's using an email other than the one they're subscribed with. It would be helpful to get notified so I can head off any confusion.


Thanks!
Pete


Chris Jones
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 05:32 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
It would be helpful to get notified
Of what exactly? I assume that you allow non - members to post otherwise you wouldn't get any notification at all, but I cannot see how Groups.io could recognise a member using an incorrect sending address given the nearly infinite list of possibilities.

(FWIW the group I co - own does not allow non - members to post, but a look at the relevant Activity log reveals that members using an incorrect address is quite common.)

Chris


Duane
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:32 AM, Peter Cook wrote:
It would be helpful to get notified so I can head off any confusion.
If such a notification is added, I'd prefer that the default setting be None.  99% of my non-member messages are spam. ;>)

Duane


Andy
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:32 PM, Peter Cook wrote:

In my group when a message comes in from a non-member email address (shown in the activity log as "Non-member soandso@... attempted to send message..."), 99% of the time it's an actual member who's using an email other than the one they're subscribed with. ...


You are lucky.  99.9% of the non-member messages I see are spam.

If this feature were to be added, I would want it to be selectable.  I would disable it in my group, because I don't need dozens of new spam notices every day.

I wonder if there's another way to handle the cases you have.  Do they occur from the same small number of group members?  Perhaps they can be encouraged to subscribe under both of their email addresses.

Andy


Andy
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
... I assume that you allow non - members to post otherwise you wouldn't get any notification at all, ...

I think this is what Peter is asking about.  Non-members can't post, so their attempts are rejected, leaving an entry in the Activity Log.  Peter wants a notification too, when that happens.

Don't the senders receive a "bounce" reply, and do they not realize why?  (I guess they don't.)

Andy


Duane
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 11:51 AM, Andy wrote:
Perhaps they can be encouraged to subscribe under both of their email addresses.
No need to do that, just set the other email address(es) as alias(es) so they can reply from them.  Group messages aren't sent directly to those addresses, but the replies occur regularly when those folks have emails forwarded to other devices that have a different default email address.

Duane


Peter Cook
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM, Andy wrote:
Non-members can't post, so their attempts are rejected, leaving an entry in the Activity Log.
Exactly, Andy, and sorry if I was unclear. 

Yes, they get a notice of some sort, which they don't always see, and then they contact me to find out why their message didn't post. Obviously the first thing I do is check the activity log but this would save me a step and get ahead of the problem.

Chris, to your question, no - I do not allow non-members to post. Your parenthetical hits on the same issue I have.

Pete


Peter Cook
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
It would be helpful to get notified
Of what exactly?
As written in my subject line - of a non-member attempting to post. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Pete


Bruce Bowman
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:32 PM, Peter Cook wrote:
99% of the time it's an actual member who's using an email other than the one they're subscribed with. It would be helpful to get notified so I can head off any confusion.
Peter -- I suggest you just change your group settings so non-members can post. Then you can head them off in moderation and reply as you see fit.

Regards,
Bruce


Malcolm Austen
 

On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:24:37 +0100, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

In my group when a message comes in from a non-member email address (shown in the activity log as "Non-member soandso@... attempted to send message..."), 99% of the time it's an actual member who's using an email other than the one they're subscribed with. It would be helpful to get notified so I can head off any confusion.

I'm either not understanding what you are trying to do or it's easy ...
1. Tick "Allow non-members to post"
2. You receive a message held for moderation notice
3. Moderate appropriately
Non-member messages are never allowed through unmoderated.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...


Peter Cook
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 01:19 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Peter -- I suggest you just change your group settings so non-members can post. Then you can head them off in moderation and reply as you see fit.

Thanks, Bruce. Good suggestion and I will do that. 


pete 


Bruce Bowman
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:56 PM, Andy wrote:
Don't the senders receive a "bounce" reply, and do they not realize why?  (I guess they don't.)
They should receive this:

510 5.1.1 Your email address, xxxx @ address.net, is not subscribed to that group. To subscribe, send an email to groupname+subscribe@groups.io, or visit https://groups.io/g/groupname

Whether they read it or not is another matter!

Bruce


Peter Cook
 

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 01:31 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Whether they read it or not is another matter!
That’s generally the problem.