Topics

moderated Ad blocker warning #misc

Hi All,

A group owner was having a problem. There were some links in messages that were just not showing up in their browser, both when reviewing pending messages on the website and when viewing the archives on the website. The links were googleadservices.com links, of the type where the text is the same as the URL itself. The links really were in the messages, but the group owner could not see them in their browser. The owner figured out the problem; they were running an ad blocker, and the ad blocker was removing the links.

I would not have been able to figure this out myself. So if you ever come across something like this, it could be an ad blocker.

The more you know...

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 04:46 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The more you know...
We went through something similar almost 5 years ago with the GIO login page, https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/47008  My fault that time.

Duane

Dave Sergeant

On 7 Feb 2020 at 14:46, Mark Fletcher wrote:

The links were
googleadservices.com links, of the type where the text is the same as
the URL itself.
But why were those googleadservices links in ther message in the first
place? Do we presume it was an open group and some spammer had posted
them? Most of us try and avoid these sort of links which is why we have
ad blockers in the first place. Not the sort of thing I would expect
normal posters to have in their messages.

Dave

http://davesergeant.com

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 10:41 PM Dave Sergeant <dave@...> wrote:

But why were those googleadservices links in ther message in the first
place? Do we presume it was an open group and some spammer had posted
them?

It was a classifieds list and the link was to a product. Completely legit.

Mark