Activty-log search on "edited message" very buggy #bug

If you do an activity log search on "edited message," (a) most of the "edited message" activities recorded in the log do not show up, and (b) they first show up in chronological order (earliest first). So I am first seeing edited messages from 2016, and then when I click on the date to reverse the order, I'm missing most of the edit activities. I can't ballpark the fraction I'm missing, or what the criterion is, but it seems to be missing at least half of them. And it misses all the ones I happened to be searching for this morning, namely, edits to many posts by a particular problematic member.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

Hi J,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:39 AM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:
If you do an activity log search on "edited message," (a) most of the "edited message" activities recorded in the log do not show up, and (b) they first show up in chronological order (earliest first). So I am first seeing edited messages from 2016, and then when I click on the date to reverse the order, I'm missing most of the edit activities. I can't ballpark the fraction I'm missing, or what the criterion is, but it seems to be missing at least half of them. And it misses all the ones I happened to be searching for this morning, namely, edits to many posts by a particular problematic member.

It looks like in November 2016, the activity log entries switch from 'edited message' to 'edited message without sending to the group'. Does that correspond to how you've been editing messages since then?

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark,

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. I saw "edited message" and didn't look further down. So maybe that should say "edited message and sent to group" ?

It also seems strange that a mod-permitted-only action like "save without sending" is included in the member activity dropdown. I looked there first and didn't see it, and eventually found my way to the member activity dropdown. Shouldn't "save without sending" be exclusively in the moderator dropdown?

Thanks.

--
J

My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
I looked there first and didn't see it,
Sorry, meaning that I looked in the mod dropdown first and didn't see it.

--
J

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

Yes, that's exactly what's happening. I saw "edited message" and didn't look further down. So maybe that should say "edited message and sent to group" ?

I'm thinking of combining the two activity log entries into just 'Edited Message' (if the message wasn't sent, it'll still be noted in the log). I think that'd address your (understandable) confusion and make things more clear. 

Mark 

That would be great! Thanks!

On Apr 22, 2022, at 11:25 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

I'm thinking of combining the two activity log entries into just 'Edited Message' (if the message wasn't sent, it'll still be noted in the log). I think that'd address your (understandable) confusion and make things more clear. 

Mark 

--
J

Here's the main reason I wasn't finding the "without sending to the group" search criterion: i was not looking for it. The log entry looks like this:

Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> edited message #34993, "Oncologists" who are not board-certified oncologists - how should they be referred to here? without sending to the group, via web

In other words, you see "edited message" when reading the log entry, and after that you see the object of the action (the message), and so would not normally read further. At least, I wouldn't. :-)
--
J

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 2:31 PM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

In other words, you see "edited message" when reading the log entry, and after that you see the object of the action (the message), and so would not normally read further. At least, I wouldn't. :-)

Yep, definitely confusing. I've combined both sets of activity log entries into `Edited Message`.

Thanks,
Mark 

Another thing to consider: when searching, I first tried the Moderator Activity dropdown. Not finding it there, I next tried Message Activity dropdown. Not there, either. Turns out it's in the Member Activity dropdown. That's the last place I would (and did) look for it. What about changing it to "message edited" and moving it to the Message dropdown?
--
J