moderated Activity log mistake when a Topic's subject is edited #bug


Andy
 

Minor bug:

When a Moderator changes the subject line of a message topic, the Activity log shows something like this:

    Moderator1 <address@...> changed the subject of topic New subject line from "New subject line", via web

where the new subject is listed twice (as both the new and old subjects).  It doesn't show the correct old subject.

(Additionally, it is slightly puzzling because only one of them is within quotes.  But that's no big deal.  The one not in quotes is a hotlink to the Topic, so it is in blue.  It's just odd seeing only one of them in quotes.)

Andy


 

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 2:16 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Minor bug:

When a Moderator changes the subject line of a message topic, the Activity log shows something like this:

    Moderator1 <address@...> changed the subject of topic New subject line from "New subject line", via web

where the new subject is listed twice (as both the new and old subjects).  It doesn't show the correct old subject.

Was this an old activity log entry? I'm unable to reproduce it now, but I seem to recall a bug with it in the past.

Thanks,
Mark 


Andy
 

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 05:32 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Was this an old activity log entry? I'm unable to reproduce it now, but I seem to recall a bug with it in the past.

No, I saw it a couple of times in the last few days.

In both cases, I think the subject was edited to add a hashtag.  Maybe that causes the bug to recur?

Andy



Andy Wedge
 

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 09:39 PM, Andy wrote:
In both cases, I think the subject was edited to add a hashtag.
I added a hashtag to a topic on 25-Mar and having checked the activity log, I can see this issue too. It looks fine if you change the topic without adding a hashtag.

Regards
Andy


Chris Jones
 

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 09:39 PM, Andy wrote:
I think the subject was edited to add a hashtag
Having tried this on a test group I would concur.

Chris


Bruce Bowman
 

If all you did was add or remove a hashtag, it stands to reason that the two subjects would read the same in the log.

If this is undesirable, we need to tell Mark what we want. My preference would be to introduce a new/separate log entry for changing a topic's hashtags.

Regards,
Bruce


Andy
 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 09:51 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
If all you did was add or remove a hashtag, it stands to reason that the two subjects would read the same in the log.

Sorry, I disagree.  The old subject line did not have the hashtag, so the old subject line listed in the log should not show it.

Since a hashtag is part of the subject line, adding or removing a hashtag constitutes changing the subject line.  That is how it is reported in the log; however, it is reported incorrectly, by listing the new subject line where the old subject line should go.

Andy


If this is undesirable, we need to tell Mark what we want. My preference would be to introduce a new/separate log entry for changing a topic's hashtags.

Regards,
Bruce


Andy Wedge
 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 02:51 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
If all you did was add or remove a hashtag, it stands to reason that the two subjects would read the same in the log.
I guess that depends upon how your view the topic and whether hashtags are considered separately. Given that the activity log entry 'user sent message....' includes the hashtags as part of the subject then I think it is reasonable to view the subject text plus any hashtags as one entity. In which case, I'd go with Andy's view that the current activity log entry is confusing at least because it shows the 'from' and 'to' subject text as the same value.

Regards
Andy


Duane
 

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 09:02 AM, Andy wrote:
The old subject line did not have the hashtag, so the old subject line listed in the log should not show it.
I think this a fairly recent change/bug.  A few months ago I went back and added hashtags to some old topics.  None of them show up in the activity log.  I changed another on Feb 28, 2022 and got "changed the subject of topic Original Television available #Free [linked] from "Original Television available #Free", via web" in the log.  The original didn't have the #Free tag though, that's what was added, so really shouldn't be part of the 'from' verbiage.

Duane


 

Andy wrote:
In both cases, I think the subject was edited to add a hashtag. Maybe that
causes the bug to recur?
I can confirm that Andy's hypothesis is correct. I rarely edit topics in my
group, except to add missing hashtags. Every "Changed Topic" log entry for my
group exhibits this bug.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://davidcbryant.net




--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
*https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main* ( https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main ) *https://davidcbryant.net*


 

Hi All,

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark