Topics

locked about the group-search

I like the reroute-to-owner idea.  Then at that point give the owner the opportunity to flag them as spam.  I'm all for avoiding those festering pits.

Trish

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hmm, I have always been against allowing non-subscribers to post to groups, because that leads to dead groups that are festering pits of spam. I had not considered making it an option that those messages would be moderated. What about an option so that messages from non-subscribers just get re-routed to +owner?

We already log attempts by non-subscribers to send messages to groups. The email address of the sender and the subject of the message are logged.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

>> Is there an option for allowing non-members to send to the groups?
>
> There is not. But you can create an email integration, which is a unique
> email address, that can be used to send messages to the group.

Ah, I was wondering how that differed from the group's posting address. Very important that messages to that address be moderated (at least optionally) - which I think you said has or will be added to integrations.

I've found the ability to allow (moderated) non-member posting to be very helpful in letting would-be members or lost members get in touch with the group (they wouldn't be expected to know about the +owner address). So in that respect being able to allow non-member posting using the regular group posting address would be preferable.

At the very least non-member attempted posts should be logged, but for the purpose above I prefer the notification of a pending message so that I am alerted when it happens.

-- Shal