Topics

locked about the group-search

ro-esp

Of course mods should have the option to use keywords (and maybe punished if they use them falsely). Since there's just a hundred groups under groups.io now , it's not very urgent to install them.

People looking for groups to join will probably also want to know whether a groups is private , or moderated.

Is there an option for allowing non-members to send to the groups?

Is there a "new members moderated" setting?

groetjes, Ronaldo

--
http://www.esperanto.net http://www.moneyasdebt.net

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:

Is there an option for allowing non-members to send to the groups?

There is not. But you can create an email integration, which is a unique email address, that can be used to send messages to the group.

Is there a "new members moderated" setting?

Yep.

Mark

Mark,

Is there an option for allowing non-members to send to the groups?
There is not. But you can create an email integration, which is a unique
email address, that can be used to send messages to the group.
Ah, I was wondering how that differed from the group's posting address. Very important that messages to that address be moderated (at least optionally) - which I think you said has or will be added to integrations.

I've found the ability to allow (moderated) non-member posting to be very helpful in letting would-be members or lost members get in touch with the group (they wouldn't be expected to know about the +owner address). So in that respect being able to allow non-member posting using the regular group posting address would be preferable.

At the very least non-member attempted posts should be logged, but for the purpose above I prefer the notification of a pending message so that I am alerted when it happens.

-- Shal

Hmm, I have always been against allowing non-subscribers to post to groups, because that leads to dead groups that are festering pits of spam. I had not considered making it an option that those messages would be moderated. What about an option so that messages from non-subscribers just get re-routed to +owner?

We already log attempts by non-subscribers to send messages to groups. The email address of the sender and the subject of the message are logged.

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark,

>> Is there an option for allowing non-members to send to the groups?
>
> There is not. But you can create an email integration, which is a unique
> email address, that can be used to send messages to the group.

Ah, I was wondering how that differed from the group's posting address. Very important that messages to that address be moderated (at least optionally) - which I think you said has or will be added to integrations.

I've found the ability to allow (moderated) non-member posting to be very helpful in letting would-be members or lost members get in touch with the group (they wouldn't be expected to know about the +owner address). So in that respect being able to allow non-member posting using the regular group posting address would be preferable.

At the very least non-member attempted posts should be logged, but for the purpose above I prefer the notification of a pending message so that I am alerted when it happens.

-- Shal

Mark,

Hmm, I have always been against allowing non-subscribers to post to
groups, because that leads to dead groups that are festering pits of
spam.
Without moderation I'd agree. But my Yahoo Groups that operate this way in fact receive very few non-member attempted postings (sometimes months between them), either spam or valid. In Yahoo's group settings you get this effect with the combination of allowing non-member posting and selecting "Moderated" (for all messages) or "Moderated for new members".

My use case for this ability is relatively small groups - classmate groups, PTA groups, and family groups, typically with no more than a few hundred members, all of whom I know in person. I almost certainly would not elect this option for a large, public, general-interest group; probably not in any group with open membership.

What about an option so that messages from non-subscribers just get
re-routed to +owner?
The only advantage I can think of to routing it to +owner is that if it is spam I delete it and I'm done. Routed to a pending queue I have to forward the pending notice to the +reject address and then delete it.

Even so, I prefer that such messages go into the Pending queue, or perhaps into a Spam? queue, so that I can approve them if appropriate. My typical use case is a member who has changed email providers without updating their subscription, or accidentally used the wrong one today.

Now, some additional automation to help them correct the error would be welcome (but hardly an urgent need). Something like a "you used an address that is not subscribed to this list" return message that allows them to verify that address as a new subscription. I would only select that action in cases where I am sure from the message body that I'm dealing with someone who is or should be a member. And of course this only applies to groups that elect to allow non-member posting - in other groups a straight bounce of the attempted non-member post is appropriate.

-- Shal