Topics

locked A few questions

Nightowl >8#

Hi Mark,

A few questions that aren't bugs.

1. Is there any RSS support for this site?

2. Will you still make it where we can set the default text option for replies, or are we no longer going to get to choose a default, since you added Markdown? Is it just not done yet?

3. Will you consider allowing more customization of the Home Page down the line? (a question from a member of my group).

By the way, THANK YOU for fixing the Home Page photo ratio issue. All of my owls are finally NOT stretched or squished!

Brenda

Will you still make it where we can set the default text option for replies
Brenda, you need to scroll down just below the Reply box to find the HTML/Markdown/Plain text switch.
Personally I'd like to see it at the top of the Reply window, to the right of the HTML text style stuff, so it's easier to find.

Dano

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:50 PM, Feathered Leader featheredleader@... wrote:

  1. Is there any RSS support for this site?

Added to the todo list.

  1. Will you still make it where we can set the default text option for replies, or are we no longer going to get to choose a default, since you added Markdown? Is it just not done yet?

You can now set your own default. And you can change at the time that you're replying, if you want.

  1. Will you consider allowing more customization of the Home Page down the line? (a question from a member of my group).

Perhaps, depends what. I want to avoid scenarios where it could end up looking like a Geocities or old Myspace page. That's too much customization. smile

Mark

Nightowl >8#

I know where it is, I just want to know if he will still make it be a default for us to be able to set. That will be remembered all the time.

Thanks,

Brenda

On 1/28/2015 2:25 PM, Feathered Leader wrote:
I know where it is, I just want to know if he will still make it be a
default for us to be able to set. That will be remembered all the time.
And here's a good example of why you would *want* quoted text.

Brenda - I have no idea what you are talking about...

dg

Nightowl >8#

Mark wrote:>>Perhaps, depends what. I want to avoid scenarios where it could end up looking like a Geocities or old Myspace page. That's too much customization.<<

I have no idea what either of those looked like. But I was thinking about adding color to the page, and possibly choosing content to be put on it.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Brenda wrote:>>I know where it is, I just want to know if he will still make it be a default for us to be able to set. That will be remembered all the time.<<

dg wrote:>>And here's a good example of why you would *want* quoted text. Brenda - I have no idea what you are talking about...<<

Sorry about that. I usually always quote, as you know... but that reply happened as I was trying to change from HTML to Plain Text, and then I guess more got deleted than I meant to.

What I was referring to was that I knew where the drop down box to change HTML to Plain Text was, but I wanted to know if there would be a default that we could set to always reply in one mode or another. Duane told me how to get there, and I found it and set it. YAY!

You all know me, I almost ALWAYS trim my replies, and quote what I wanted to respond to. The only time I don't is if I'm in a huge hurry, and something HAS to be replied to right away...such as before I raced to the hospital when my dad went in.

Brenda

If missing the quoted text while reading on the website in single-message or expanded view mode, there's a shortcut to view the thread, which helps you figure out what the person is writing about.  I don't know if there is a similar link in the mails that are sent out, individually or in digest form, but it might be available with a couple of clicks if not.

JohnF

On 1/28/2015 6:27 PM, Feathered Leader wrote:
You all know me, I almost ALWAYS trim my replies, and quote what I wanted to respond to. The only time I don't is if I'm in a huge hurry, and something HAS to be replied to right away...such as before I raced to the hospital when my dad went in.
Oh yes - I do know, which is why it was such a great example of
needing to include the portion you are replying to - and *only*
the portion you're replying to!

(And it is "legal" to include a complete post - and reply to
each piece of it in one reply - that's a left-over from UseNet
where bandwidth was an issue. It wasn't just message size,
but number of messages that could be an issue for an end user,
or even an interim pass-through site).

dg

Nightowl >8#

dg wrote:>>Oh yes - I do know, which is why it was such a great example of needing to include the portion you are replying to - and *only* the portion you're replying to!<<

Happy to oblige, by being the example. :)

I have my default all set to plain text now, so hopefully it won't "eat" anymore of my quotes because I have to change it or something. :)

And I frequently reply to an entire message with comments in between, but only if I really feel I need the whole message. So I understand it's legal. ;)

Brenda

JohnF

If missing the quoted text while reading on the website in
single-message or expanded view mode, there's a shortcut to view the
thread, which helps you figure out what the person is writing about.
Or would if the threads had a proper threaded view option, rather than only a chronological view.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/thread/9671

I don't know if there is a similar link in the mails that are sent out,
individually or in digest form, but it might be available with a couple
of clicks if not.
Not directly to the message in thread, but to the message. And as you say, from there it is just another click to the message in thread.

-- Shal

On 1/29/2015 1:00 AM, Feathered Leader wrote:

And I frequently reply to an entire message with comments in between, but only if I really feel I need the whole message. So I understand it's legal.;)

Brenda
8-)

Meanwhile - check out my latest message to M&M and here. Neo is
broken again.

Mark - thank you, thank you, thank you.

I just got mail yesterday that a friend, who taught me a lot about
programming and is an incredible programmer, was layed off/fired
from Yahoo. His words "he wasn't the type of <some level> programmer
they needed". He is local. They could have put him on the groups.

I think whoever said that Yahoo is being prepared for extinction
is correct - although I also read that it is trying to be the
exclusive search engine for Apple products.

One more reason for me to avoid anything Apple.

dg

Frances

Hi

It is talking about being the DEFAULT search engine.
Right now, on my Apple products, I tend to use Safari browser. I can choose from four search engines - Google, Yahoo, Bing and DuckDuckGo. This is the same on my iPhone and on my Mac Air.

I can also use other browsers. I have Firefox installed and did have Bing.
I doubt if they would change that!

A bit off-topic. Sorry!

Frances
A happy longtime Apple user