moderated A date format #bug

Malcolm Austen

I see that although I have my date preference set for YYYY-MM-DD when I download a list of group members, the CSV file has dates formatted as MM/DD/YYYY.

I can't see anything in the manual to suggest this is deliberate ...

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@weald.org.uk

Andy Wedge

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:38 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I see that although I have my date preference set for YYYY-MM-DD when I download a list of group members, the CSV file has dates formatted as MM/DD/YYYY.
The Preferences screen says the date format is how they are displayed and I took that to mean how they are displayed on the Groups.io site, not when the data is downloaded and displayed by another application. When I download the member list I usually just switch the date format to DD/MM/YYYY using the Excel 'text to columns' feature.

Regards
Andy

Malcolm Austen

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 13:33:07 -0000, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 12:38 PM, Malcolm Austen wrote:
I see that although I have my date preference set for YYYY-MM-DD when I download a list of group members, the CSV file has dates formatted as MM/DD/YYYY.
The Preferences screen says the date format is how they are displayed and I took that to mean how they are displayed on the Groups.io site, not when the data is downloaded and displayed by another application. When I download the member list I usually just switch the date format to DD/MM/YYYY using the Excel 'text to columns' feature.

Maybe I'm missing something Andy, so far I have totally failed to get Excel to reformat "2/23/2021" (as delivered in the CSV download) to "2021-02-23" (or indeed anything) other than the original. Some downloaded dates - e.g. "5/5/2021" - reformat just fine but that one's too easy! ... "9/10/2021" reformats to "2021-10-09" instead of to "2021-09-10". It would be just so much simpler if the download used my preference for the date :-)

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...

Andy

I agree with Andy that I think that setting affects only the web displays, not files that you download.

It's off-topic, I think -- but to get Microsoft Excel to display in the format you want:
  1. Highlight the column with the date
  2. Go to Format Cells (depends on your version of Excel)
  3. Choose "Custom"
  4. Type "yyyy-mmm-dd" into the Type box

I did that because I didn't see that choice in Excel's list of Date format choices.  Maybe I just missed it.

I didn't check to see if Excel did the right thing with all the dates.  Maybe Microsoft is just that stupid that it can't tell the difference between Sept. 10. and Oct. 9.  I wouldn't put it past them.

One thing I did do, between steps 2 and 3, was to first set the format to "14-Mar-2012" (e.g., dd-mmm-yyyy, but in the "Date" category).  I don't know if that changes anything -- maybe it helps avoid the 9/10 vs. 10/9 problem?  Again, I did not check for that.

All this might depend on your country's customizations, if Excel comes customized to your region of the world.  Darn these date formats that we can't agree on.  :-)

Andy

Malcolm Austen

On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:46:40 -0000, Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

I agree with Andy that I think that setting affects only the web displays, not files that you download.

I can see how you might see that as implied. I would counter that with there being nothing saying what the CSV download date format will be and therefore I expected it to follow my preference setting.

I have tried pretty much all of Andy's suggestions below. I realize now that the suggestion from t'other Andy was 'text to columns' (I got hooked on trying the DATEVALUE function) which will work but seems far more faff that this task should need. Maybe that's M$ for you - or me in this case :-)

If Mark doesn't think it's a bug then I'll file for a docs clarification ...

Malcolm.

[...]

Still off-topic...

Looking now, I see that Microsoft Excel has "location" choices for the date formats.  Those choices MIGHT affect whether Excel converts 9/10/2021 to 2021-09-10 or 2021-10-09.

Andy

Andy

It's possible that Groups.io simply does a data-dump into your memberlist.csv file.  If it does, then you're probably stuck with the format that exists already in the groups.io database.

Andy

Hi All,

This has been fixed.

Cheers,