Topics

locked A couple of questions

Nightowl >8#

Mark,

Can I set a default for the message view I want? Both type and ordering?

Also, I tried to reply to a message from Matthew in my group, but I keep getting a corner message that says drag photo here. I don't want to drag a photo, and it won't let me reply. What do I do?

Brenda

Frances

Hi Brenda

I have had the drag photo message too - when I tried to edit using select, drag.

I especially saw it in the wiki portion. I tested and the same happens when you try to drag to edit in messages on the website.

Frances

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2015, at 9:04 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Mark,

Can I set a default for the message view I want? Both type and ordering?

Also, I tried to reply to a message from Matthew in my group, but I keep getting a corner message that says drag photo here. I don't want to drag a photo, and it won't let me reply. What do I do?

Brenda

Brenda, Frances,

I just pushed a fix for drag and drop of text. You should no longer see the 'drag a photo' message.

Brenda, you can't currently set a default for message view or ordering. I'll add that to the todo list for consideration.

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:
Hi Brenda

I have had the drag photo message too - when I tried to edit using select, drag.

I especially saw it in the wiki portion.

Frances

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 10, 2015, at 9:04 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Mark,

Can I set a default for the message view I want? Both type and ordering?

Also, I tried to reply to a message from Matthew in my group, but I keep getting a corner message that says drag photo here. I don't want to drag a photo, and it won't let me reply. What do I do?

Brenda

Mark, Brenda,

Brenda, you can't currently set a default for message view or ordering.
I'll add that to the todo list for consideration.
To me it seems more natural if my view choices (including ordering) are simply remembered as I navigate the site and from session to session. That avoids the extra (perceived) complexity of having to go find and change the selection in my Profile or Subscription pages (or wherever they would be).

I think Yahoo Classic used to do this by setting one or more non-expiring cookies with the user's view choices. But in these cookie-phobic days that might be better stored as user data in the server.

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

Right Shal,

I have my browser set to delete cookies at the end of every Internet session, so cookies won't work for me. I prefer a default method.

Still can't figure out how to read messages in numbered order one after another without hitting back and reading the next one. Is there a next button anywhere?

Brenda

Hmm. I liked Shal's idea to keep things on the cookie, because I don't want to have a million different preferences for people to have to check and review. But I could do the same thing with the database; when you change sort direction or message view, it could save that in the database and remember it that way.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Still can't figure out how to read messages in numbered order one after another without hitting back and reading the next one. Is there a next button anywhere?

This is on the single message view? There are no next/prev buttons there at the moment. Is that how you'd normally prefer to view group archives, single messages at a time?

Nightowl >8#

Mark Fletcher wrote:>>Hmm. I liked Shal's idea to keep things on the cookie, because I don't want to have a million different preferences for people to have to check and review. But I could do the same thing with the database; when you change sort direction or message view, it could save that in the database and remember it that way.<<

That would be nice, as I shut down my computer often, it's not left on so cookies get deleted a lot. But I realize I'm different in that aspect. ;)

Mark wrote:>>This is on the single message view? There are no next/prev buttons there at the moment. Is that how you'd normally prefer to view group archives, single messages at a time?<<

Me, yes. I know it's weird, different, etc. But my biggest problem of trying to find a new place to host both MM and Hollow Tree, is that I always prefer to read messages on the actual site in chronological order, AND write message numbers down on a notepad to reply to later. So a Next, Previous would be awesome. I still want to read all 500+ messages in the Beta group, and that would make it really easier.

One thing I hated about Yahoo NEO, is I could no longer do that, and had to read everything in E-mail and post from E-mail because I could not handle the blinding white of the interface. But E-mail doesn't feel like a group, and this does. :)

Thanks,
Brenda

Brenda,

Still can't figure out how to read messages in numbered order one after
another without hitting back and reading the next one. Is there a next
button anywhere?
I don't think there is.

Mark, please take that as a feature request.

I keep forgetting to mention it, but I often use Message View and having a Next and Previous that operate in message number order would be handy. Probably similar for Next and Previous topic in "Thread View".

In Classic Yahoo Groups Next/Prev were simple links, as were the message subjects in the Messages list; so browser-history link coloring worked well enough for users to distinguish read and unread messages. Mostly. I don't know if that would work here, and take some pressure off of the "Keep track of read/unread messages" item in your to-do list.

-- Shal

Judy F.

Mark, hopefully you will decide to go with the database and not cookies.  My cookies delete every night.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

Hmm. I liked Shal's idea to keep things on the cookie, because I don't want to have a million different preferences for people to have to check and review. But I could do the same thing with the database; when you change sort direction or message view, it could save that in the database and remember it that way.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Still can't figure out how to read messages in numbered order one after another without hitting back and reading the next one. Is there a next button anywhere?

This is on the single message view? There are no next/prev buttons there at the moment. Is that how you'd normally prefer to view group archives, single messages at a time?

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 3:17 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Brenda,

> Still can't figure out how to read messages in numbered order one after
> another without hitting back and reading the next one. Is there a next
> button anywhere?

I don't think there is.

Mark, please take that as a feature request.

I keep forgetting to mention it, but I often use Message View and having a Next and Previous that operate in message number order would be handy. Probably similar for Next and Previous topic in "Thread View".

Your wish is my command. Just pushed to the live site Previous and Next links when viewing individual messages in the archives. I also added the 'Msg Num' box at the top of the page to jump directly to specific message numbers. Let me know if you see any weirdness or anything.

Hmm, I don't seem to be adhering to my 'try not to work so much on the weekends' goal. :-)

Mark

Nightowl >8#

Wow! Thanks Mark!

Sorry if I seemed needy or pushy. But now that I can read through all the messages using the next etc. buttons, I can learn more about the site without asking you so many questions! At least I hope so, anyway!

BTW I have the post up on the blog, but its a little rough around the edges until Suz fixes the URLS the way she likes. Check it out and tell me if you like it!

https://modsandmembersblog.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/rescue-ship-on-the-horizon/

Brenda

I'm also a frequent cookie deleter, so anything stored in cookies won't stick for me.  One other thing to think about for cookies, though, is that people use multiple devices these days.  If I want to read groups on my personal computer, work computer, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, multiple browsers, etc., cookies tend to get everything all unsynchronized.  So I like database settings, unless there is some reason why a setting has to be locked to a particular device.

JohnF

Nightowl >8#

One other tiny thing if you get a chance. It would be nice to have the previous/next button at the top of the message instead of the bottom, or even in both places.

But I'm not complaining, I'm too busy reading!

Also, something to note, as you are reading using Next, if you suddenly find yourself at the current message numbers, it means there was a post deleted. I found that out, but if you put the #'s in one at a time, you get back on track.

Example, I read #19, hit next. It took me to the newest posts. Hit back, inputted #20, same thing, hit back, inputted #21 same thing, hit back, inputted #22, got back on track.

What Yahoo used to do is say "Message # whatever, doesn't exist." But I knew what was going on and it worked fine. :)

Brenda

No worries! All the feedback is good. Some things are easy for me to change, and are obvious things to do, like the pagination stuff, and I'm able to do them quickly. Some other things are more complicated to change, or it's less clear what the right answer is.

I've added prev/next to the top of the individual message page. And thanks for the blog post; it's great!

I'm off the computer for the rest of the evening; I'll get to the other emails tomorrow.

Mark

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 7:08 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

One other tiny thing if you get a chance. It would be nice to have the previous/next button at the top of the message instead of the bottom, or even in both places.

But I'm not complaining, I'm too busy reading!

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Thanks!

Suz fixed the blog post so it's all good now!

I edited this part into the post you replied to earlier, but it wasn't in your reply, so I thought I'd repost it for your info. Not sure how reading edited posts works.

Something to note, as you are reading in Chronological order using Next, if you suddenly find yourself at the current message numbers, it means there was a post deleted. I found that out, but if you put the #'s in one at a time, you get back on track.

Example, I read #19, hit next. It took me to the newest posts. Hit back, inputted #20, same thing, hit back, inputted #21 same thing, hit back, inputted #22, got back on track.

What Yahoo used to do is say "Message # whatever, doesn't exist." But I knew what was going on and it worked fine. :)

Just letting you know.

Brenda

Brenda,

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Something to note, as you are reading in Chronological order using Next, if you suddenly find yourself at the current message numbers, it means there was a post deleted. I found that out, but if you put the #'s in one at a time, you get back on track.

Example, I read #19, hit next. It took me to the newest posts. Hit back, inputted #20, same thing, hit back, inputted #21 same thing, hit back, inputted #22, got back on track.

That shouldn't happen. When using the previous and next links, it should skip over any deleted/missing messages. If you can reproduce this not happening correctly, please send me a link to my corp.groups.io address and I'll take a look.