Topics

moderated A 554 Bounce code not recognized as bouncing on first occurrence #bug #fixed

The group activity log. That’s where bouncing accounts are logged, even when they’ve bounced a messsge from another group. I’m thinking this bounce-handler bug is showing up now for the first time only because the 554 bug was fixed, which caused one-time special-notice guideline bounced messages to cause accounts to be marked blue B, which causes log entries for every group they’re in to be logged in every other group they’re in. Because all auto-sent guidelines are sent on the 1st of the month, you would now (for the first time, because of the fixed bug) see multiple log entries for a single member on the same day. If this is what happened, the bounce handler bug existed before but was only made manifest since the 554 bug was fixed. If all of this is correct, the bug is thst it creates a log entry that a member is bouncing when the member already has a blue B in the group.

On Feb 5, 2020, at 12:59 AM, Chris Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 06:59 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I wonder, Chris, whether you also have some duplicate log entries as well, like my group does for the one bouncing special-notice member.
I'm not currently aware of any "anomalies" but I'll have a closer look later; for the moment other off - line activities have to take precedence!

In the meantime when you say "logged" do you mean in Activity or in the individual member's Email Delivery History?

Chris

Chris Jones

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 06:59 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I wonder, Chris, whether you also have some duplicate log entries as well, like my group does for the one bouncing special-notice member.
I'm not currently aware of any "anomalies" but I'll have a closer look later; for the moment other off - line activities have to take precedence!

In the meantime when you say "logged" do you mean in Activity or in the individual member's Email Delivery History?

Chris

I wonder now whether the multiple log entries originated from other groups in which the member is *also* bouncing. The guidelines notice goes out on the 1st in every group every member is in. The system logs "x is bouncing" for every message in every group the member is in, according to what I remember.  So it makes sense that if the member is in four groups, four messages bounced on the same day - one for each group's guidelines message (even though only one was from mine). Maybe the guidelines go out at different times of day depending on the time zone? I'm just guessing here.

If this is the issue, I would change the bounce handler so that if the member is already bouncing (i.e., blue B), no further log entries would be triggered for that member (unless, of course, they unbounce in between).

Actually I just checked and it's 554.

Chris noted the following:
""Our" Monthly Message goes out as a Special Notice on the 1st of every month and the outcome was that about 72 new bouncers have been listed. I haven't checked every one but those I have checked were all on Special Notice deliveries and their recorded bounces were all listed... one per month."

So the new behavior in both his group and mine seem related to that bug fix. My group member is also special-notice, and she was noted as bouncing for the first time on only on Feb 1 of this year, despite her most recent successful delivery showing as April of last year. So the bug fix did finally note her as bouncing. And there was just once bounce. It's the log entries that seem off.

I wonder, Chris, whether you also have some duplicate log entries as well, like my group does for the one bouncing special-notice member.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:10 PM, Duane wrote:
I'd bet that none of them were 554 codes which is the one (#bug) described in this topic.  My guess is that the first couple of bounces were either indeterminate hard bounces or soft bounces.
Possibly. But coincidentally, (a) this has never happened in my group before; (b) the logging behavior occurred immediately after the bug fix; (c) the member is on special notices only; and (d) here was only one special notice sent in my group, and it was the guidelines notice sent on Feb 1.

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 07:05 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not so sure about this "fix." In my group there were no less than FOUR "xyz is bouncing via system" log entries on Feb 1 for the same member
I'd bet that none of them were 554 codes which is the one (#bug) described in this topic.  My guess is that the first couple of bounces were either indeterminate hard bounces or soft bounces.  That triggered the bounce handling system which has decided to send bounce probes.  The one on Feb 4 also bounced.

As noted on the Help page, some codes may not be well defined.  GIO treats them as soft bounces to do the least damage, thus multiple entries in the Activity log.  I'd only see them there by accident since I check Bouncing in the Email Delivery History of the Member.

Duane

It's the 4 log entries: Feb 1 at 5:30 a.m., 10:09 a.m., and 2:55 p.m., and today at 3:45 p.m. I'm expecting more tomorrow. :)

Mark Fletcher

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 5:05 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Not so sure about this "fix." In my group there were no less than FOUR "xyz is bouncing via system" log entries on Feb 1 for the same member, who is subscribed via special notices, and just for good measure, there was another one this afternoon;).

Not sure I understand. Did you not expect the person to be bouncing? Or was it the fact that there were 4 bouncing log entries?

Correction: there were four in total for this member, including the one today.

Not so sure about this "fix." In my group there were no less than FOUR "xyz is bouncing via system" log entries on Feb 1 for the same member, who is subscribed via special notices, and just for good measure, there was another one this afternoon;).

Chris Jones

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 03:08 PM, John Pearce wrote:
What I found is that a 554.30 mail box disabled is not seen as a hard bounce and will not trigger groups.io to process the member as bouncing.
As rather suggested by Mark's "fixed" hashtag this problem has been, er, fixed. "Our" Monthly Message goes out as a Special Notice on the 1st of every month and the outcome was that about 72 new bouncers have been listed. I haven't checked every one but those I have checked were all on Special Notice deliveries and their recorded bounces were all listed... one per month.

Definitely a better way of doing things, so thanks to John for raising the matter and thanks to Mark for the prompt fix.

Another clear - out looms...

Chris

John Pearce <jponsalt@...>

I had read about how groups.io processes bouncing in the wiki and I had also asked about this on the GMF forum.  What I found is that a 554.30 mail box disabled is not seen as a hard bounce and will not trigger groups.io to process the member as bouncing.  My problem is, members who are on special notices only in our group only get one email per month.  It bounces but it isn't enough to trigger the bounce status in the member list as it does not satisfy the 4 continuous days (or bounces) of bouncing.  So these types will build up in the list forever.  Apparently if a account is closed that would trigger bouncing after the first "hard" bounce.  But if an account is disabled it's not for 4 days or bounces.  See cut and paste from a guy who just came on bounce status today.  This guy did take 5 occurrences to show up and was placed on bounce status.  However had he been on special notice it would never happen.  We moved over to groups.io with the automated method you provide in Oct/Nov.  We had 1500 members in Yahoo on nomail, most had been members a decade or more.  I knew many were no longer valid and before the move I disallowed nomail so all those people were put on special so that they would show up as bouncing and I could eliminate them.  Many bounced as accounts do not exist and I removed them but many I saw looking at samples of the email delivery history had disabled boxes and were not put in bounce status.  So I went through all 1500 one at a time and when I found the 554.30 I removed the member.  It's now down to 900 members on special only and all are with yahoo email addresses.  I'm told on GMF that a 500 level error should trigger after one bounce.  So I opened this issues with a bug hashtag.  I do realize there could be reasons why this is not a bug but the specter of having to periodically go through that many members once a year or so to clean things up compelled me to open this and hope for the best.  Thank You

John P

Message
Digest #48
Delivered