moderated Can't access group after setting up a subgroup #bug

Hi,

I just set up a subgroup at: https://sydney-ai-safety.groups.io/g/main

Unfortunately, I can now no longer access my group.

The error I get is:

"This site can’t be reached

sydney-ai-safety.groups.io’s server IP address could not be found."

Does anyone know what is causing this error?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Chris Leong <walkraft@...> wrote:

I just set up a subgroup at: https://sydney-ai-safety.groups.io/g/main

Unfortunately, I can now no longer access my group.

The error I get is:

"This site can’t be reached

sydney-ai-safety.groups.io’s server IP address could not be found."

When you create your first subgroup, you're also creating a subdomain on groups.io (sydney-ai-safety.groups.io in this case). That requires some DNS changes. We do the DNS changes immediately. But it can take a few seconds (or more) for that change to propagate to a DNS server near you. I'm guessing that's what happened. You should be able to access your site now. Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about this.

Thanks, it's now working again. It took much more than a few seconds, but I suppose there might have been some caching somewhere?

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 09:13 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
When you create your first subgroup, you're also creating a subdomain on
groups.io (sydney-ai-safety.groups.io in this case). That requires some DNS
changes. We do the DNS changes immediately. But it can take a few seconds
(or more) for that change to propagate to a DNS server near you. I'm
guessing that's what happened. You should be able to access your site now.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about this.
Would it be realistic to create a subdomain immediately when a group gets created, for all groups, just in case they decide to create subgroups later? That way, it would already be there.

JohnF