One of our email servers has been blacklisted #update

HI All,

One of the two servers that sends email for us has been listed on a blocklist, which means that many domains are currently not accepting email from it. I am trying to get more information as to why the machine has been listed. Unfortunately, I don't yet know when this will be resolved. When it is resolved, the email will be delivered.

I'll post updates when I know more.

Hi Mark,

Is there any info on which email addresses are most likely to be affected? And is there anything we can tell our group members about this - for example, that their emails may not post to groups, or that they may not receive group emails?

Thanks.

On Thu, Jan 19, 2023 at 8:39 PM J_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

Is there any info on which email addresses are most likely to be affected? And is there anything we can tell our group members about this - for example, that their emails may not post to groups, or that they may not receive group emails?

Emails sent to your groups will be posted and show up in the archives. It's just on the end that sends out emails. Unfortunately, there's no easy way for you to know if your group's emails go through the blocked server. We select which server to use based on a group's internal ID, a 64-bit number. We just do ID%2 to figure out which server to use. Most (I think all, but am not positive) non group post emails are sent through the other, currently not blocked, server. These are things like moderator notifications, confirmation emails, etc.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

Hi All,

And just like that, the block has been lifted. Email is starting to flow again; my guess is that we'll be caught up in the next hour or so (we can't send it all at once, the receiving email servers would be deeply unhappy if we did so).

It appears that perhaps some premium groups have directly added some email addresses that aren't actually people, but spamtraps. I will be investigating it in the morning.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 04:26 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
One of the two servers that sends email for us has been listed on a blocklist, which means that many domains are currently not accepting email from it.
We appear to be blacklisted again!

Regards
Andy

On Sat, Jan 21, 2023 at 4:34 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 04:26 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
One of the two servers that sends email for us has been listed on a blocklist, which means that many domains are currently not accepting email from it.
We appear to be blacklisted again!

It's true. Our other server has been blacklisted. I'm trying to contact Spamhaus now. Sigh.

Hi All,

The blacklist that was affecting one of our servers has been lifted, at least for now. A lot of email has been delivered in the last half an hour, but a few places have cached the blacklist listing, including Comcast. Hopefully, they'll refresh soon and start accepting email from us.

Previously, the block was lifted for an hour earlier today before it was reinstated. I don't know why. I have been in contact with Spamhaus. They provided a little bit of information, but that information does not show a problem with us, best I can tell. I've asked for more information.

It's been a day.

Sugar

Thank you Mark. You are appreciated

“If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together, keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever.” — Winnie the Pooh

Walk with me through a second chance of life: consider a Kidney donation: Blood type ONegative

-Sugar, ❤😘

The blacklist that was affecting one of our servers has been lifted, at least for now. A lot of email has been delivered in the last half an hour, but a few places have cached the blacklist listing, including Comcast. Hopefully, they'll refresh soon and start accepting email from us.

Previously, the block was lifted for an hour earlier today before it was reinstated. I don't know why. I have been in contact with Spamhaus. They provided a little bit of information, but that information does not show a problem with us, best I can tell. I've asked for more information.

It's been a day.

Steve Hayes

On 21 Jan 2023 at 15:33, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Previously, the block was lifted for an hour earlier today before it was
reinstated. I don't know why. I have been in contact with Spamhaus. They
provided a little bit of information, but that information does not show a
problem with us, best I can tell. I've asked for more information.

It's been a day.
Thanks Mark, for keeping the lines of communication open.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: shayes@..., but if you use gmail, hayesstw@...

David Smith

Amen.

——

On Jan 21, 2023, at 18:33, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

The blacklist that was affecting one of our servers has been lifted, at least for now. A lot of email has been delivered in the last half an hour, but a few places have cached the blacklist listing, including Comcast. Hopefully, they'll refresh soon and start accepting email from us.

Previously, the block was lifted for an hour earlier today before it was reinstated. I don't know why. I have been in contact with Spamhaus. They provided a little bit of information, but that information does not show a problem with us, best I can tell. I've asked for more information.

It's been a day.

Noel Leaver

I got the information about the blacklisting problem because I am on the Beta group, however the information does not seem to be available to users who are not (some of whom were wondering what happened to their emails yesterday). The site groups.io status has nothing on it:

https://status.groups.io/#:~:text=No%20incidents%20reported%20today.

Should it have had a message?

Noel

Anthony Angelo

Saturday (1/21) about 5:30 EST I followed the spamhaus notes in the groups.io log and completed the request to unblock the particular server's ip. I didn't recognize the #'s as mine, so must have been the one groups.io server that was being blocked. Shortly after that my undelivered mail came. Maybe that was a factor in the first unblocking.
Anthony

Hi List,

After reading the posts about the blacklisting of Groups.io’s email servers, I’m wanting to understand more about how this works and who exactly is in charge when it comes to this blacklisting. I own a handful of Groups.io lists and am subscribed to a lot more and the traffic I get from those lists would hardly be considered spam. I have one email address and have used it exclusively for over 20 years so you can imagine the multitude of emails I get that are advertising plain and simple and none of them are coming from Groups.io.

Who exactly is in charge of controlling email servers and has the power to blacklist them? I’m curious since they aren’t taking any action with respect to the hundreds of email I receive weekly from various entities that are obviously peddling their products or services. What action can the user community take when an email server belonging to Groups.io gets inappropriately blacklisted?

Thanks for helping me understand the process.

Alan Lemly

Saturday (1/21) about 5:30 EST I followed the spamhaus notes in the groups.io log and completed the request to unblock the particular server's ip. I didn't recognize the #'s as mine, so must have been the one groups.io server that was being blocked. Shortly after that my undelivered mail came. Maybe that was a factor in the first unblocking.
Anthony

Glenn Glazer

There is no single "who". Each mail service domain is run independently. For example, you and I have gmail accounts, so the spam and blacklisting management for mail coming to us is done by Google. If someone has a Yahoo! email, then Yahoo! determines if an incoming email is blacklisted and so on.

Best,

Glenn