locked the Top Posters list

Hi all, new to the beta group.

I mentioned this off list to Mark (I think it was Mark), but wonder if the Top Posters list is really necessary, or if there could be an option to disable it?  Our group is not the type of group that is competitive about this sort of thing and we don't want that kind of competition. We have one group member, however, who is very proud to be the top poster but a margin of over a thousand!!, and makes many posts per day that are trivial and unneccesary. It would really help a lot if we could just do away with it altogether. I don't know how hard or easy it would be to make an on/off toggle, but if it's easy, it would really make my life a lot easier. A lot LOL!!

I'm curious to know how others use some of the other features, such as the wiki and hangouts.  There are so many great features, but we can't think what to do with them all.

Rae

Cacky B

I agree with this request re top posters. It is unnecessary for our groups, and could be counter productive.
Cacky

On 4/16/2016 1:15 PM, Rachel Rice wrote:

[...]

vickie <vickie_00@...>

 I would like it   top poster disabled also or an option in settings to disable for the same reason.

Vickie

[...]

John Green

Perhaps give an option for it to be disabled, hidden from all except moderators, and possibly able to be set for a specific date range. This would have been useful a while ago when one member was monopolising the board and putting  others off. Some evidence of that would have been useful. As Benedictines we are keen on moderation and not posting excessively. But this is not really of great importance to us.

John G

Sent from Samsung tablet.

[...]

 I   wouldn't mind this option at all. I like it.

Vickie

[...]

Shadow Grafix <shadowgrafix@...>

We don’t have any use for it either.

Judy

[...]

Maria

We'd like option to disable too.

Ber <bxm@...>

I'd most likely also disable it in my group, if possible. I don't see much value in this Top-Posters information. As mentioned, it can also encourage unwanted behavior.

Instead of the Top-Posters-List, I'd like to see more, if not all, of the #Hashtags currently in use in a group.

I wouldn't mind having an easy way to find all posts by someone, as yahoo provides (albeit in its own clumsy fashion). Currently, in groups.io we have only the "top posters list" (which many object to), and that only yields all posts by those "top posters"; and the member activity log, which is only available to moderators. There seems to be a big gap here. Maybe this is on the ToDo list, but it keeps popping up.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 1:34 PM, Ber <bxm@...> wrote:

I'd most likely also disable it in my group, if possible. I don't see much value in this Top-Posters information. As mentioned, it can also encourage unwanted behavior.

Instead of the Top-Posters-List, I'd like to see more, if not all, of the #Hashtags currently in use in a group.

Shadow Grafix <shadowgrafix@...>

That’s exactly what happened in our group.  Our poster who posts everything at least twice, was gloating that she’s the most prolific poster.  I want to nip that in the bud real quick if I can.  Remember, these are old people so posting something twice isn’t indicative of her wanting to be the most prolific.

hugs,

Judy

An Old Irish Blessing

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

I'd most likely also disable it in my group, if possible. I don't see much value in this Top-Posters information. As mentioned, it can also encourage unwanted behavior.

Instead of the Top-Posters-List, I'd like to see more, if not all, of the #Hashtags currently in use in a group.

Hi Rachel,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Rachel Rice <rae.the.indexer@...> wrote:

I mentioned this off list to Mark (I think it was Mark), but wonder if the Top Posters list is really necessary, or if there could be an option to disable it?  Our group is not the type of group that is competitive about this sort of thing and we don't want that kind of competition. We have one group member, however, who is very proud to be the top poster but a margin of over a thousand!!, and makes many posts per day that are trivial and unneccesary.

I have turned off the Top Posters display for all groups. I can absolutely see how it would be detrimental to the quality of discussions, which isn't good.

Cacky B

Thanks, Mark.  That's a winner.
Cacky