locked Dim message title after reading on the website

Bob

One good thing with Yahoo when you read messages on the web interface is that once you have read them, the message title is dimmed so that you know you have read it. This would be a great feature to add for members who alway read messages on the web.

Regards

Bob

Bob,

One good thing with Yahoo when you read messages on the web interface is
that once you have read them, the message title is dimmed so that you
know you have read it. This would be a great feature to add for members
who alway read messages on the web.
That link coloring is actually based on your browser's knowledge of which pages have been visited (pages that appear in your browser history). But your underlying point is well taken, it would be nice if Groups.io's structure worked with that feature.

Shal

John Green

Fine unless someone later replies to the message which often happens on our site given the time zones we’re in or as threads develop.

John G

Sent: Friday, 15 April 2016 08:00
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Dim message title after reading on the website

One good thing with Yahoo when you read messages on the web interface is that once you have read them, the message title is dimmed so that you know you have read it. This would be a great feature to add for members who alway read messages on the web.

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Bob Nicolle <bobnicolle7@...> wrote:

There are a couple of ways of tackling this. One way is the 'easy' way, which is what Yahoo does and what Shal talked about. Making the links change color after you've visited them, and your browser tracks which links you've visited. We can do this right now, but there are a couple of things. If viewing the Threads view, because of the link structure of the site, if a new message comes in for a thread, that won't cause the link to change color. Also, we had a request awhile ago to bold the links, to make them stand out.

I've just made this change. Please let me know what you think. Lighter links are new, darker links indicate threads/messages that have been read. I'm not sure if this should be reversed or not.

The harder way of tackling this, is for us to keep track of which messages/threads you've read. This is a better approach, because it's more accurate. But it requires a lot of work on our side to make it happen. It's on the TODO list, but I'm not sure when it will happen.

Thanks,
Mark

Bob

Thanks Mark.

I think this is most value to members who use the messages view so they can see where they are up to and should keep them happy until the more accurate tracking method can be implemented.

The difference in the lightness and darkness is very subtle and a bigger contrast or change of colour would be better if possible.

Regards,

Bob

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 12:50 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
I've just made this change. Please let me know what you think. Lighter
links are new, darker links indicate threads/messages that have been read.
I'm not sure if this should be reversed or not.
There's one other imperfection in this scheme. If I click message 7392, then hit the Previous button to go back to 7391, 7390, 7389, and so on, then return to the message list, only 7392's link has a different color. This doesn't happen with Yahoo, because it uses the same link URL whether you've selected the message individually or if you've gotten to the message using Previous or Next, but the URLs are different in Groups.io.

You could probably just use different CSS, though, if you wanted message links to do this but not thread links.

Would it be an easier change to just save a "latest message number read" per group rather than keeping track of every message read? That's assuming everyone who reads by message view is reading in ascending order, so it would also be accompanied by a feature that allows someone to jump to the first new message (the one after the latest read). In thread view mode, you could jump to whichever thread has the next message following the last message read, and the last message in that thread becomes the last message read. (That would cause problems if a user read a thread, stopped in the middle, logged out, came back another day, and wanted to read the thread after that one, because with different messages in different threads, the order wouldn't be preserved, and some threads could potentially be skipped.)

JohnF

John Green

I'd prefer unread posts to be dark, and read ones, lighter but as an active moderator I sometimes have to go back and read posts that might have caused offence. (At the moment there is a row about using hashtags or not)!

John

Duane

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:57 pm, John Green <john.green@jngreen.plus.com> wrote:

I'd prefer unread posts to be dark, and read ones, lighter but as an active
moderator I sometimes have to go back and read posts that might have caused
offence. (At the moment there is a row about using hashtags or not)!

John
I think most browsers use the darker text for unread, then change to lighter. I'm adapting to the opposite on IO, but would also prefer that it be changed.

Duane

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 5:57 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

I think most browsers use the darker text for unread, then change to lighter.  I'm adapting to the opposite on IO, but would also prefer that it be changed.

I've swapped the colors. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mark

Ber <bxm@...>

Without having read this announcement prior to experiencing the new scheme, I was slightly confused by the change. And I am still sort of.

Maybe not (only) different levels of brightness, but a difference in saturation would make it clear and help to distinguish better? I would interpret the less saturated to be the already read message/thread, while the more saturated color would signify new/unread messages.

ber–