Buttons (choices) available to regular members #misc

Andy I

I don't know whether the following is a bug, but it is unexpected and doesn't seem right.

When a group gives regular members the ability to download (Export) all group messages, and a member clicks on that button to start the Export process, the member is presented with a row of buttons:

But some of those buttons should be for Moderators only, right?

Each of the buttons links to a URL appropriate to its function (e.g., Settings links to https://groups.site.domain/g/groupname/settings).  Fortunately they don't actually go there when clicked, because GIO recognizes that the member is not an Owner/Moderator so it diverts to the group's homepage instead.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to not have those buttons?  i.e., don't show the ordinary member choices they can't/shouldn't access.  Or perhaps make them inactive and grey them out.

In case it matters, where I saw this I think it was a Premium or Enterprise group using its own domain.  I am just an ordinary group member, in case that wasn't obvious.

Thanks,
Andy

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 05:54 PM, Andy I wrote:
In case it matters, where I saw this I think it was a Premium or Enterprise group using its own domain.

It also happens on free groups.  I also agree, they shouldn't be there for regular users.

Cheers,
Christos

On Sat, Sep 10, 2022 at 2:54 PM Andy I <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
I don't know whether the following is a bug, but it is unexpected and doesn't seem right.

When a group gives regular members the ability to download (Export) all group messages, and a member clicks on that button to start the Export process, the member is presented with a row of buttons:

But some of those buttons should be for Moderators only, right?

They should be disabled, meaning that clicking on them does nothing.

This is a design choice, and also applies to several other aspects of the website. We show all options on a given page, even ones that aren't available (either because of permissions or storage limitations, etc) to the viewer. The thinking is that if a person is looking for a function that they're not allowed to use, it's better to show it to them but have it disabled, so they know they've 'found' the function and can maybe deduce that they aren't allowed to use it. Otherwise, they'd think they haven't gone to the right place on the website and you end up with a bunch of `I'm looking for X function but can't find it` emails.

Andy I

Mark,

Thank you for the explanation.  But I can't say that I agree.  Making buttons for Moderator-only functions available to non-Moderators, even if they are disabled, seems non-sensical to me.

By this logic, shouldn't you make the full "Admin" menu on the left available to everyone?

They should be disabled, meaning that clicking on them does nothing.

That is not quite what happens.  Clicking on them does something - it brings you to the group's homepage.  While that is not a useful action, it suggests that the button does something.  Indeed, one could say that the button is fully enabled; but the destination is blocked for non-Moderators.

Andy