moderated Sign-Up Challenge Question #suggestion

Steve Puffenberger

We're getting sign-up subscriptions to approve, but we don't have any way of seeing the person's real name, only their email. And even if we could, we wouldn't necessarily know whether they're a legitimate member who meets criteria we send.

In our previous group on Yahoo we were able to pose a "challenge question," where we would ask, for instance, what role they had within the industry. If we got a bogus answer, we'd not approve.

Can we have a challenge question, results of which will reflect in the approval email?

Chris Jones

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 05:07 PM, Steve Puffenberger wrote:
Can we have a challenge question, results of which will reflect in the approval email?
It would appear that you are running a Restricted Group; why not use the Pending Subscription Message capability? 

In other words, the facility you are looking for already exists.

Chris 

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 12:07 PM, Steve Puffenberger wrote:
Can we have a challenge question....
You can ask questions in your member notice of type "Pending Subscription," which is automatically sent to applicants in a Restricted group.

See the FAQ at https://groups.io/helpcenter/faq/1/group-owner-moderator-faq/q-can-i-screen-prospective-members-who 

...results of which will reflect in the approval email?
I don't know what you mean by this.

Regards,
Bruce

Pamela Tatt

I ask for the applicants reason for wanting to join our group (which is a Charity craft group) in a Pending Subscription Message.  If they do not answer after a few days I resend the message and if still no answer I reject their subscription with a covering message.

Very few of my applicants dont reply to the pending message.

Pamela
Knit4Charities

Steve Puffenberger

I just enabled that and we’ll see how it works.

----------------------------------------------

Steve Puffenberger

Advent Media, Inc.

a digital creative agency in Columbus, Ohio

o: 614-538-1622

www.adventmediainc.com

www.adventdigitizing.com

From: main@beta.groups.io <main@beta.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pamela Tatt via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2022 7:08 PM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Sign-Up Challenge Question #suggestion

I ask for the applicants reason for wanting to join our group (which is a Charity craft group) in a Pending Subscription Message.  If they do not answer after a few days I resend the message and if still no answer I reject their subscription with a covering message.

Very few of my applicants dont reply to the pending message.

Pamela
Knit4Charities

This E-Mail is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This E-Mail and any documents attached, may contain confidential information belonging to the sender which is protected by copyright and/or other privileges. The information is intended only for the use of the individuals and entities named above. If you are not the addressee, be advised that you received this E-Mail in error, and that any use, disclosure, reading, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this E-Mail is strictly prohibited.

There's also this new feature:
"If the Answer Required To Join The Group checkbox is checked, whenever someone joins/applies to join your group, they will be required to fill out that field first. This does not apply to people joining by email, direct add, or invites."
But since it doesn't apply in all cases, and is only for premium and enterprise groups, and relies on a separate new "extra member data" feature, seems like it's not that useful.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/92779156#33161

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu