#suggestion Add option to create a hashtag that sends a message only to moderators #suggestion

Adrietta Woods <podcastimagination@...>

I have a suggestion for a feature.

I would like there to be an option where when I am creating a hashtag, I can make it so if a member includffs that hashtag in the subject of their message, it only sends to owners and moderators.

Donald Hellen

Why not just have the member use the feature already present in all posts by
clicking on the link at the bottom of the post?

It opens a new message already addressed to the group owner address. That's much
simpler than typing in a hashtag plus a subject.

At the bottom of each post is a line like this:

Group Owner: main+owner@groupname.groups.io

Donald

On Thu, 04 Aug 2022 06:18:15 -0500, "Adrietta Woods"
<podcastimagination@...> wrote:

I would like there to be an option where when I am creating a hashtag, I can make it so if a member includffs that hashtag in the subject of their message, it only sends to owners and moderators.

Andy I

On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 05:57 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Why not just have the member use the feature already present in all posts by
clicking on the link at the bottom of the post?

You're talking about the link at the bottom of E-mailed messages.  It's not present at the bottom of online copies of group messages.

One should note that the link may not work on all computers.  On my Windows computer, it requires Microsoft Outlook (*), so I get an error message.  But I'm smart enough to ignore that.  (*) It uses the "mailto:" link which Outlook and some other programs use, but not Gmail.

In any event, anyone can directly send a message to the owners and moderators, by addressing the message to the "groupname + owner @ groups.io" email address, which every group has.  There is even a link to it on each group's homepage.  (It is another "mailto:" link so it might not work on all computers.)

I don't know if there's a way to directly send a message to owners and moderators without using one's email program.  I can post group messages from the web interface without sending it by email, but I don't know if there is a way to post messages to owners and moderators the same way.  I think you have to use email for that.

Andy

Glenn Glazer

On 08/06/2022 06:48, Andy I wrote:
One should note that the link may not work on all computers.  On my Windows computer, it requires Microsoft Outlook (*), so I get an error message.  But I'm smart enough to ignore that.  (*) It uses the "mailto:" link which Outlook and some other programs use, but not Gmail.

More specifically, most standalone MUAs use it, not just Outlook, but Thunderbird and others. It has nothing to do with Gmail as an Email Service Provider, but rather that their browser interface doesn't respond to mailto: links. E.g., I have a Gmail account, I use Thunderbird and mailto: links work for me.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Donald Hellen

Andy . . .

On Sat, 06 Aug 2022 06:48:58 -0700, "Andy I" <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

You're talking about the link at the bottom of E-mailed messages. It's not present at the bottom of online copies of group messages.

One should note that the link may not work on all computers. On my Windows computer, it requires Microsoft Outlook (*), so I get an error message. But I'm smart enough to ignore that. (*) It uses the "mailto:" link which Outlook and some other programs use, but not Gmail.
Then perhaps there should be some way to contact group owners on the group site,
also?

Using hashtags may not work in groups like mine that don't permit hashtags. Or
an exception would have to be made, but I think it might be simpler to implement
a link on the home page that opens a text editor that lets you compose and send
a message to the group owner, much like the posting text editor box.

The link could simply be a button that says CONTACT GROUP OWNER that gets
clicked on and it opens the text editor.

Many of us know that you can use groupname-owner@groups.io but not all members
will know that, even though it's on the home page. So that may not be helpful to
people who are not computer-literate.

This brings up a question about moderators and owners receiving messages to the
owner. What if all have their subscription settings set to receive no messages
sent to the group owner? If they all have it set to that, none of this would
make a difference in those groups, would it?

I have some of my groups set to only receive group-owner email from members. Is
there a reason we are better off to receive all group-owner email? If someone
tried to join but fumbled with the email confirmation or something, would they,
as pending members, be able to contact an owner with the setting set to only
receive group-owner email from members?

Donald

... but I think it might be simpler to implement a link on the home page...

There is already a "contact" group owner link on the home page, look in the "Group Email Addresses" section, it's a MAILTO: link.

Cheers,
Christos

Donald Hellen

Christos . . .

On Sat, 6 Aug 2022 17:46:49 -0400, "Christos Psarras" <christos@...>
wrote:

There is already a "contact" group owner link on the home page, look in the "Group Email Addresses" section, it's a MAILTO: link.
I suggested that, but someone earlier in this thread said that it doesn't work
in all browsers correctly. That could leave out a lot of people. See Andy's
reply about that.

Donald

This makes no sense to me as a feature. A hashtag is an attribute of a topic, not an individual message. If such a hashtag existed, it would make the topic consist of a single message sent to the owner address, and not actually create a topic in the sense of a string of messages. There would only be one message. I would say that it would make the actual "topic" nonexistent and actually consist of zero messages, since none would get sent to the group at all. There would be no topic in the message list, for example.

If the owner address doesn't work for some people, for some technical reason or other, there has to be a better way to deal with. A group could for example, on its own, publish on their home page the email address of the owner, in addition to the owner address (which is automatically there).

Logically, a hashtag that automatically nullifies the concept and existence of a "topic" does not make sense to me.