Subgroups are great but sometimes I just want distribution lists #meta #suggestion

Dan Speck

I am the president of an HOA and am using a paid groups.io subscription to manage communication and documentation for the association.
Sometimes I would just like to create an email distribution list for some subsets of the membership, e.g., committee chairs, without having all of the subgroup stuff. Is this possible now or is it a feature request?

Andy I

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 04:24 PM, Dan Speck wrote:
Sometimes I would just like to create an email distribution list for some subsets of the membership, e.g., committee chairs, without having all of the subgroup stuff. Is this possible now or is it a feature request?

If it's for committees with fewer than 100 members, and if you don't need all the extra features of a premium group, then a brand new free group (not a subgroup) would also suffice.

Andy

Why not create a subgroup and make it an "announcement only" group? In any case, if there are features you don't like, you can just not use them.

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 04:24 PM, Dan Speck wrote:
Sometimes I would just like to create an email distribution list for some subsets of the membership, e.g., committee chairs, without having all of the subgroup stuff. Is this possible now or is it a feature request?
It is possible to create distribution lists now.

Go to Admin>Settings>Default Sub Settings and create a new column. Call it "member type" or something like that, and pre-populate it such that all your committee chairs, etc. have the same entry.

You can subsequently search on this field to bring up those members, select them all, and send them a private message via the Actions menu. The message won't appear in the message archive but if I understand your use case I suspect you don't want that to happen anyway.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 07:03 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
It is possible to create distribution lists now.
I should also mention that:
  • you will need to pay for Premium/Enterprise features.
  • it can only be done in a parent group, not a subgroup.
Bruce

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 04:03 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
Go to Admin>Settings>Default Sub Settings and create a new column. Call it "member type" or something like that, and pre-populate it such that all your committee chairs, etc. have the same entry.
You could also do that using colors, without a new column, if there are not a whole lot of mailing lists and colors would be easy to keep track of.

And it doesn't have to be a premium or enterprise group to use colors.

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 08:18 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
You could also do that using colors, without a new column, if there are not a whole lot of mailing lists and colors would be easy to keep track of.
Yes, this would work for Basic groups (the OP had a Premium group).

Downsides:
  • You will need a color key of some kind (which you kinda need anyway, for colors to be at all useful).
  • You can sort by color by not search by it.
Regards,
Bruce

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 06:13 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
this would work for Basic group
It would work for all groups. My comment related to your caveat about being able to use the "new column" feature only for premium and enterprise groups. Just pointing out that that restriction doesn't apply to colors.

You can sort by color by not search by it
You can filter by color, which is tantamount to searching on it.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 06:13 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
You will need a color key of some kind
That is definitely a back and I wish there were a place to store a code (I requested it awhile back but nothing so far). But as I originally mentioned, if there are not a whole lot of lists to keep track of, that could presumably be done in one's head.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 06:19 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
definitely a back
typo, definitely a LACK

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:17 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
You can filter by color, which is tantamount to searching on it.
Hm. I didn't know you could do that!

As for a color key, perhaps the member's list could have its own "sticky wiki," so a legend of some kind could be placed there.

For paid groups, I'm still inclined to advocate for the keyword approach. A text field can contain any number of searchable keywords, but you can only have one color/member.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:29 AM, I wrote:
A text field can contain any number of searchable keywords, but you can only have one color/member.
I just discovered that the moderator's "Notes" field is also searchable. So if you prefer...or are restricted to Basic features...you can place keywords there instead.

Learning some "stuff" today!

Bruce

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 06:42 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I just discovered that the moderator's "Notes" field is also searchable
What do you mean?

Bruce Bowman

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 09:49 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 06:42 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I just discovered that the moderator's "Notes" field is also searchable
What do you mean?

Still not getting it. You've already selected the individual member and are already looking only at that particular member. How does being able to search on any individual member's Notes allow you to cull or filter the member list to the subset of members you want? I must be missing something very obvious here.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 02:42 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
I just discovered that the moderator's "Notes" field is also searchable
Beta #24320

Regards
Andy

Bruce/ Andy,

So the Notes field is included in member searches. I don’t see how that’s particularly useful for this situation. You would have to be meticulously careful in defining and using your keywords. But I guess it could work.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 10:13 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
You would have to be meticulously careful in defining and using your keywords.
Many of the colors look very similar, too. Carelessness will not be rewarded no matter what you do.

Regards,
Bruce

That’s true. The orangey colors are especially annoying. :-)

For keywords, you could use keywords beginning with something like MAILINGLIST with suffixes indicating the specific list.