moderated Email link to log in

When a member uses the link requesting an email to log in, all they are told
is:

"An email has been sent to you with a link to log into your account."

Since there is only a 60 minute timescale in which to respond to this and many
people will not normally see such an email until much later, could the wording
the expanded please to warn them of the time limit?

When I raised this on GMF, Shal agreed with this suggestion, and also suggested
(copy/pasted from his message):

"In fact, the page is rather blank. Maybe it should cite the Subject
line, and To & From addresses of the sent message to help the member
identify it. And suggest that the member check their Spam folder if it
is not in their Inbox. It could even suggest white-listing the From address."

I also agree with all of that. It all sounds very simple to implement and could
be very helpful.

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Toby Kraft

This should be handled as a Member Notice so you can tailor the message as needed for your group.  In my case, an explanation of how to set their password would have been useful.
Toby

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:20 PM, Jim Fisher <ejf@...> wrote:
[...]

Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you

Bob Bellizzi

Instead of making everything customizable the WIKI is a great place to store instructions for all of the things you wish to simplify for your members.
Make your WIKI public and use clear titles on each WIKI page .
Train your members to check the WIKI if they need further information.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Toby,

This should be handled as a Member Notice so you can tailor the
message as needed for your group.
It can't be.

We're talking about a web page presenting information to someone who isn't logged in yet. The web page doesn't know what group(s) that person may belong to. And the possible plural on "groups" indicates the other problem - the person may be a member of multiple groups.

In my case, an explanation of how to set their password would have
been useful.
That you can do in your group's Welcome message.

Shal

Toby Kraft

Shal, I'm embarrassed that I did not catch that!  You're right, that's a groups.io level function, not a group function.
However, with the email, groups.io knows what groups that user is subscribed to and could insert a custom message from specific groups.  Also, maybe a list of subscribed groups would be helpful in the email.
In my case, by the time I realized people were having trouble setting passwords, they had already received the welcome notice.
Thanks
Toby

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Jim Fisher <ejf@...> wrote:
When a member uses the link requesting an email to log in, all they are told
is:

"An email has been sent to you with a link to log into your account."

Since there is only a 60 minute timescale in which to respond to this and many
people will not normally see such an email until much later, could the wording
the expanded please to warn them of the time limit?

Good idea. The page now has some additional info, including the time limit, the subject line and sender name of the email and advice to check their spam folder.

Dave Sergeant

Thanks Mark. Can I mention that some of our members find the login
process at groups.io rather confusing. It is good to have the various
options for logging in but it would be far simpler if there was just a
button on the webpage saying 'register' where they could there and then
set up a password and other details with the usual emailed confirmation
link like most other sites including Yahoo do.

Dave

On 31 Jan 2018 at 21:35, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Jim Fisher <ejf@jimella.co.uk> wrote:

When a member uses the link requesting an email to log in, all they
are told is:

"An email has been sent to you with a link to log into your account."

Since there is only a 60 minute timescale in which to respond to this
and many people will not normally see such an email until much later,
could the wording the expanded please to warn them of the time limit?

Good idea. The page now has some additional info, including the time
limit, the subject line and sender name of the email and advice to check
their spam folder.

http://davesergeant.com

Thanks Mark, that covers it. Brilliant service as always. What a contrast with
Ya who?

Jim

On 31 Jan 2018 at 21:35, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Jim,

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Jim Fisher <ejf@jimella.co.uk> wrote:

When a member uses the link requesting an email to log in, all they are
told
is:

"An email has been sent to you with a link to log into your account."

Since there is only a 60 minute timescale in which to respond to this and many
people will not normally see such an email until much later, could the wording
the expanded please to warn them of the time limit?

Good idea. The page now has some additional info, including the time limit, the
subject line and sender name of the email and advice to check their spam folder.

http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:45 PM, Dave Sergeant <dave@...> wrote:
Thanks Mark. Can I mention that some of our members find the login
process at groups.io rather confusing. It is good to have the various
options for logging in but it would be far simpler if there was just a
button on the webpage saying 'register' where they could there and then
set up a password and other details with the usual emailed confirmation
link like most other sites including Yahoo do.

I am always looking for ways to make the registration process go more smoothly. But I'm not quite sure I understand. There is a Register link at the top of the website, next to the Login link. Are you referring to something else?

Donald Hellen

Mark . . .

On Thu, 1 Feb 2018 15:13:59 -0800, "Mark Fletcher"
<markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I am always looking for ways to make the registration process go more smoothly. But I'm not quite sure I understand. There is a Register link at the top of the website, next to the Login link. Are you referring to something else?Thanks,
A link might be missed by older people. A button that stands out and
says Register (or maybe join or both words on it) would be more
intuitive.

Donald

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who
speak it. --George Orwell

Bob Bellizzi

I run a group with over 3000 people who have a "late onset disease"
I'm well over 80 and many members are older than me and we seldom see the age as a problem in understanding clearly described information.
I've used the process and link several times and written a WIKI article for our (public) WIKI.
We simply refer members to that wiki article's url

Sorry but I think we all need to take a step back and consider how confusing a webpage with all kinds of buttons and possibly different colors would be to a newbie.
Also, customization by each group doesn't come free for Mark and can lead to serious complications is code.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

Dave Sergeant

Thanks Mark, must look a bit more carefully. Actually it is labelled
'sign up' rather than 'register' but does the job. Still get people who
are confused, maybe there are too many options for logging in.

Dave

On 1 Feb 2018 at 15:13, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Dave,