Topics with no messages #bug

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- I have three topics in my group ias-indy that have no messages in them.

All three have subject lines of "temp" or "temp2." They appear to have arisen as a result of split-and-merge activity.

Empty topics:
https://groups.io/g/ias-indy/topic/temp2/76585442
https://groups.io/g/ias-indy/topic/temp/76585421
https://groups.io/g/ias-indy/topic/temp/34106856

We have a public message archive so I am leaving these links active.

Corresponding log entries:

Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> merged topic "temp2" into Introducing new members Tim and Adam Sherrill, via web 2020-09-02
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> merged topic "temp" into Bruce Bowman, via web 2020-09-02
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic temp, via web 2020-09-02
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic temp2, via web 2020-09-02
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic temp, via web 2020-09-02
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic Introducing new members Tim and Adam Sherrill, via web 2020-09-02
AND

Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> merged topic "temp" into Group emails (was: Newfields Moon viewing update), via web 2019-09-11
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> merged topic "temp2" into Newfields Moon viewing update, via web 2019-09-11
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic temp, via web 2019-09-11
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic temp, via web 2019-09-11
Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> split topic Newfields Moon viewing update, via web 2019-09-11
As best I can tell, no actual messages were lost...but these empty topics persist.

FYI,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 12:21 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
As best I can tell, no actual messages were lost...but these empty topics persist.
FYI, I may have used the topics-test page to do one or more of the merges.

Bruce

Andy

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what does it mean to have a group URL that looks like a subdirectory of Topics?  I think I have never seen that, in other groups.  How did you get "temp" and "temp2" subdirectories?  What is the "topics-test page" where you say you did the merges?

Andy

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 9:21 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- I have three topics in my group ias-indy that have no messages in them.

All three have subject lines of "temp" or "temp2." They appear to have arisen as a result of split-and-merge activity.

I've been trying to track this down. Unfortunately it appears that it happened at a time where I no longer have the logs available. So I haven't been able to track down the root cause yet.

I have added additional logging which will let me know at the moment this happens again, so that I can debug it at that point. I have also deleted the erroneous empty topic records.

Something like this was reported years ago. In that case, there was actually a topic, or topics, with a negative number of messages. It had to do with deleting messages and/or splitting and merging. That's all I can remember about it. I couldn't find the old messages here about it.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 03:36 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Unfortunately it appears that it happened at a time where I no longer have the logs available. So I haven't been able to track down the root cause yet.
Well Mark, I do appreciate you looking into this.

A situation has recently arisen in that group such that I feel compelled to do more splitting and merging, but I need to wait a day or two for traffic in the affected topics to slow down. I have a couple of ideas, and if I can reconstruct the sequence of events that led to it, I'll let you know.

Meanwhile, thanks for cleaning up the empty topics.

Regards,
Bruce

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 04:54 PM, I wrote:
A situation has recently arisen in that group such that I feel compelled to do more splitting and merging, but I need to wait a day or two for traffic in the affected topics to slow down. I have a couple of ideas, and if I can reconstruct the sequence of events that led to it, I'll let you know.
Well Mark, I tried my best to make the "empty topics" problem recur via split-and-merge, but was unable to. I have officially given up.

For now, it's "ghosts in the machine," and hopefully will remain so.

FYI,
Bruce

Hi All,

Good news, I found and fixed the bug. If you were viewing a topic with most recent first sorting, we were not properly disabling the correct Split option in the drop down menu. This was allowing splits to occur with the first message in the topic, which would generate an empty topic record in the database.

In addition, we were allowing the new topic to be created without a subject. We reject that now.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
In addition, we were allowing the new topic to be created without a subject. We reject that now.
Glad you found this, but I remain a little disconcerted (the empty topics in my group did have a subject line).

Regards,
Bruce

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 8:57 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 04:15 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
In addition, we were allowing the new topic to be created without a subject. We reject that now.
Glad you found this, but I remain a little disconcerted (the empty topics in my group did have a subject line).

The no subject line thing was a separate issue I found while debugging this.

Mark

Bruce Bowman

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 12:21 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
The no subject line thing was a separate issue I found while debugging this.
Ah, I get it now...you mean it was previously possible to split a topic while leaving the "new subject" field empty in the dialog.

[Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.]

Bruce