moderated Drafts completely disappearing #bug

This is a bad one and I've noticed it over the past week or so. I compose a very detailed draft, go outside of the draft to look something up (I am NOT using the back arrow), and when I come back to the draft, it is gone. Poof. Into thin air. And I need to compose it all over again. The only way to save a draft now seems to be to always remember to keep two windows open. Something very, very wrong here....
Thanks.

To clarify: the draft exists but is always completely blank when you go back to it.

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 7:44 AM Janet_Catlady <JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:
To clarify: the draft exists but is always completely blank when you go back to it.

I can't reproduce this. Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, J, can you give me some more information? What browser are you using? Are you composing in the HTML editor or plain text? Are you seeing this in multiple groups?

Mark,

I was going to tell you (and had composed a draft telling you) that I didn't know whether it happened in any groups besides my own, but it just happened in THIS group (beta). I had composed the draft and gone into my group to check on the terminology used for "View all [n] messages in this topic," because I was going to report to you that that's one of the things I've been doing that's been resulting in the draft being lost. When I came back to this group to continue my draft containing that info, it was blank. Here is what I had written up to that point:

I waited a week to report this to make sure it was happening consistently, because I guessed you were going to say that you couldn't reproduce it and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't imagining it. It's consistent. I'm using Firefox, and I'm composing in the message-composition box. Typically what I do is start a draft, and then go into something like the Files section to look something up, or click on "View all [n] messages in this topic" to see what transpired in the past on the subject. I meticulously avoid using the "back" arrows since that's what was causing my losing of drafts a year or so ago, and which was discussed at great length then.

Thanks.

Andy I

I just tried it, and it does NOT happen to me.  I'm using Chrome.  When I go back to my draft (here in this group), it's there and its contents are there.

I have not tried Firefox, and won't.

One thing to be aware of - probably unrelated - is that the menu bar on the left does not always refresh, so I may need to do a complete screen reset occasionally.  But I think that only affects the presence (and number) of Drafts that it tells you you have.  e.g., I may write a message, so now there's a new Draft, but it doesn't show up in the menu bar on the left until I refresh the browser's screen.

Andy

Andy I

I also want to mention that I always wait 15 seconds or so, before clicking anywhere to leave the Draft edit page.  I figure that if I leave the page too soon, it will not have saved.  I'm sure 15 seconds is more than enough time.

I thought Mark added something (a few months ago) that would show when a draft was being saved, similar to what Gmail does.  But I don't see that anymore.  If it was there, it might tell you if your drafts are not being saved promptly.

Andy

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 08:25 AM, Andy wrote:
I always wait 15 seconds or so, before clicking anywhere to leave the Draft edit page
Do you mean that you wait 15 seconds after typing your last character? In the cases I'm talking about, I've already spent about 10-15 minutes composing the draft. It should have saved already, even if it misses the last sentence or something. But it's always completely, totally blank except for my signature.

Andy I

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 08:25 AM, Andy wrote:
I always wait 15 seconds or so, before clicking anywhere to leave the Draft edit page
Do you mean that you wait 15 seconds after typing your last character?

Exactly.

In the cases I'm talking about, I've already spent about 10-15 minutes composing the draft.

Clearly it's not doing something right.  Either it wasn't being saved in all that time, or the very last save got interrupted and it saved an empty draft.  That doesn't seem likely, especially as it happens consistently.

Andy

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 03:49 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I can't reproduce this. Is anyone else seeing this?
I can't reproduce this either (on Firefox v100.0)

Regards
Andy

I just reproduced it again, in this group. I composed a test draft in response to this message from Andy W, waited 15 secs or more, went into my own group, came back, and the draft was blank.

Andy Wedge

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 05:01 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
I just reproduced it again, in this group. I composed a test draft in response to this message

Regards
Andy

Hi All,

I've reproduced the bug; will fix it momentarily. It has nothing to do with the browser.

Firefox on a year-ish-old MacBook Pro.

On May 13, 2022, at 9:06 AM, Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 05:01 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
I just reproduced it again, in this group. I composed a test draft in response to this message

Regards
Andy

THANK YOU MARK! This has been making me want to tear my hair out.

On May 13, 2022, at 9:14 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I've reproduced the bug; will fix it momentarily. It has nothing to do with the browser.

J,

This has been fixed. It would occur if you have a signature, start a reply to an existing message, go somewhere else, then return to the draft.

Mark,

Yes, thanks, that’s exactly what had been happening.