moderated Posting a message "from" the group owner address doesn't post as from the group owner address #bug

Andy

When a group owner/moderator posts a new message from the web interface, they have the option to send the message "From" either their own email address, or from the group owner's address, "groupname+owner@groups.io".

The latter does not work.

Instead, the message posts with the individual's email address as the sender.

Andy

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:23 PM, Andy wrote:
...the message posts with the individual's email address as the sender.
Are you sure about that? I ask because I had the need to post as Group Owner earlier this week; I have just double - checked the email I received as a result and it was the Group Owner email address. However, it was associated with my Display Name, which might be the point that you are actually making.

I raised this matter eons ago but without any changes taking place; if I get the chance I will try to find the (beta) message concerned.

Chris

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 05:37 PM, I wrote:
if I get the chance I will try to find the (beta) message concerned.
Rather more quickly than I had expected I found it; see here. FWIW "eons" in the previous message turned out to be just over 4 years.

Chris

I just test-posted a Message to Member to my alternate account and the email shows up not as coming from the group owner but from me. Whether it's the address or the display name or both, it's not good. I'd always assumed that a Message to Member sent as the group owner was virtually anonymous, in the sense that the member could see only that it's coming from the group owner. I think this conversation is about posting a message to the group, rather than sending a message to an individual member, but it applies to this case too.

Donald Hellen

I just now sent a message as group owner to myself and there's no indication on
the message I opened that it came from me. It came from the group-owner address,
no reference whatsoever which of the owners it was from.

Donald

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:31 AM, Donald Hellen wrote:
I just now sent a message as group owner to myself and there's no indication on
the message I opened that it came from me. It came from the group-owner address,
That's odd.

Chris Jones

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 06:23 PM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
I'd always assumed that a Message to Member sent as the group owner was virtually anonymous, in the sense that the member could see only that it's coming from the group owner.
Well I've just done the same and it worked OK. Interestingly (or not!) a DM to another member sent as the Group Owner does not include the Display Name, just the (group owner) email address. Posts to the Group do include a personal Display Name as mentioned previously.

Chris

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 10:47 AM, Chris Jones wrote:
a DM to another member sent as the Group Owner does not include the Display Name, just the (group owner) email address.
Are you talking about using the Send Message feature from the member page? That's what I'm doing, and it always shows my display name. Not the owner address.

Andy

The messages I am talking about are messages I posted to a group via New Topic, not to an individual.  But as you say, the same problem might apply to both.

I just double-checked, and the message I posted has no trace of the group+owner's address that it should have had, both in the copy that's in the web interface and in the email copy I received.  They both show *my* display name and *my* email address, only, as the "From" name/address.

I recall seeing this happen before too, a few months ago, but did not bother to follow up.

That's interesting that it seems to work sometimes.  I wonder if it depends on the group's settings....

Andy

Donald Hellen

Mine was from the member list page, checked me as the member, then chose send a
message.

I didn't try a post to the group as group-owner but if that's an issue, I'll try
that as well as a test.

Donald

On Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:56:56 -0700, "Janet_Catlady"
<JanetOliviaCatlady@...> wrote:

Are you talking about using the Send Message feature from the member page? That's what I'm doing, and it always shows my display name. Not the owner address.

Marina

Andy wrote:
I just double-checked, and the message I posted has no trace of the group+owner's address that it should have had, both in the copy that's in the web interface and in the email copy I received.  They both show *my* display name and *my* email address, only, as the "From" name/address.
I have a similar problem. If I send a message in a group from the +owner's address, the email copy shows my display name (for that specific group) + the owner's address, however the web interface shows just my display name. So, apparently, group members who read posts via web can't see any difference between messages sent personally or as the groups' owner.

Marina

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 06:11 AM, Marina wrote:
 apparently, group members who read posts via web can't see any difference between messages sent personally or as the groups' owner.
And worse, if you try to send an "anonymous" (i.e., just from owner) "message to member" via Send Message, all they see in the email is your actual address. No owner address at all.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 08:20 AM, Janet_Catlady wrote:
And worse, if you try to send an "anonymous" (i.e., just from owner) "message to member" via Send Message, all they see in the email is your actual address. No owner address at all.
I'm not seeing that.  It appears that the owner address is the default for Message To Member and I have to click/select my address before it's used.

Duane

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 06:40 AM, Duane wrote:
I'm not seeing that.
I know. At least one other person here is also not seeing it. But I've tested this a couple of times. As someone here suggested, maybe it depends on some group setting?

Chris Jones

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 02:40 PM, Duane wrote:
I'm not seeing that.
Neither am I. I have just repeated some tests on another group; the results were as follows, and confirm my previous findings both yesterday and 4 years ago.

Posts (replies) sent to Group:

On the web UI my own Display Name identified me as the originator in both cases with no indication that one message had been sent as a Group Owner.

The emails sent to the group used my own Display name in both cases; in one case it was allied to the Group Owner email address; in the other it was allied with my personal address.

Posts sent to individual member: The message sent by me as a member showed my (group) Display Name and my own email address as the originator; the message sent by me as Group Owner had no Display Name, just showing the Group Owner email address.

In other words, out of the four test messages sent (two of which were readable on both the seb UI and by email) only in the direct message to member sent as Group Owner was it fairly obvious that it had been sent by the Group Owner, and even then only by the absence of a potentially misleading Display Name.

Who routinely examines the full detail of the origin of an email to determine the exact "status" of the sender?

Well I certainly don't other in those cases where the email looks a bit "iffy".

Chris

Ok. I wll test it again later today.

Donald Hellen

Now I am wondering if Mark is testing different versions of the GIO interface,
like Facebook does, across subsets of the user base. For instance, you and I
could see quite a different FB page at the same moment. This happens all the
time and few are even aware of it.

That makes it difficult to keep browser add-ins working for everyone who uses a
FB "fixer" add-in, because while it works for one person, it may not for
another. Then again, a fix made in an add-on for FB might fix a problem for most
of the users might just create a new problem for others. This is the case with
the FB "fixer" called Social Fixer. It works well, for most of the users, most
of the time. But sometimes FB makes a change across a subset of its user base
and only some have problems because of it. Others don't have any problems,
because they weren't in the subset where the changes are being tested.

I mention this just in case Mark rolls out new features slowly across all users.
I didn't think he did this, but now I'm wondering if this is indeed the case
here since we're seeing different results when doing the same things.

Of course, all bets are off if there's a "fixer" add-in for GIO that some are
using and some are not. I am not aware of any, though, at this time.

Donald

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 12:06 PM, Donald Hellen wrote:
Now I am wondering if Mark is testing different versions of the GIO interface,
like Facebook does
How can you mention groups.io and Facebook in the same breath! lol
I will test again later. Just running out the door now...

Chip Davis <chip@...>

<sigh> I already have members asking for that interface ... :-/

As I posted to another forum just the other day: "Friends don't let friend use The Facebook", to a surprisingly large agreement.  -C-

Hi All,

Messages sent by the +owner address were being emailed with the correct From address. They were not being displayed on the website correctly, however, as you've noticed. I've fixed that.

I do not do any sort of user interface A/B testing. Everybody gets the exact same web site. The only testing I've done is through the use of the /settest URLs which I think I've posted about a couple of times in the past, for people to opt-in to different things (there are none of those at the moment).