moderated Force actual download of CSV member list from "Download" button #suggestion

Christopher Warrington

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 10:53 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote: > I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv. > Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I > don't remember. It really should be text/csv, and that should cause the > behavior you're looking for.

There are a few more knobs too, if they're helpful, the help convince browsers to download instead of render:

--

Christopher Warrington

Bruce Bowman

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 01:53 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv.
Much more intuitive, thank you!

Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I don't remember.
There's some discussion here ( https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/140012#3477 ). Sounds like the main concern may have been line termination (Windows vs Mac/Unix).

Thanks again,
Bruce

On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 4:37 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- Something funny has arisen with the Member List download function (not the group export).

When I click on the "Download" button, it still displays the member list in CSV format just fine. But when I right-click on the display and select "Save as," the resulting document now contains the page source, not the list (see attachment). I could have sworn this approach used to work before...

I've switched the Content-Type for that page from text/plain to text/csv. Which is what it was at some point long ago, but changed for reasons I don't remember. It really should be text/csv, and that should cause the behavior you're looking for.

Bruce Bowman

Mark -- Something funny has arisen with the Member List download function (not the group export).

When I click on the "Download" button, it still displays the member list in CSV format just fine. But when I right-click on the display and select "Save as," the resulting document now contains the page source, not the list (see attachment). I could have sworn this approach used to work before...

This is using the latest version of Chrome (Version 100.0.4896.127, 64-bit). Others have reported that Firefox can still save the page and get the right content, but...

Could we also somehow add the new "download" attribute to this function, thereby forcing a download? When I click a Download button, I expect a download to happen...having text displayed in my browser window instead is disconcerting and requires several additional steps to actually get the desired CSV file.

Thanks much,
Bruce