moderated Bulk file move UI/UX #suggestion

Glenn Glazer

It would be helpful if one could select multiple source files and/or directories and a target directory and have all of the selected source items moved to the target directory in a single action.

The UI I am thinking of would be checkboxes for all of the sources and a selector (like the current functionality) for the target, but I'm open to other implementations.

As a motivating example, as Secretary, I keep minutes, agendas, rosters for one of my groups and these each have monthly editions. To make the most recent files more visible and just be tidy, I create each year a directory with the name of the previous year and move the files there for historical reference. E.g., I create a directory called 2021, move the January minutes there, then the February minutes there... all the way out to December. This UX is kind of a PITA and it would be simpler to be able to do it all in one step.

Best,

Glenn
P.S. For those not in software design or related fields: UI is user interface, UX is user experience.

--
#calcare
PG&E Delenda Est

Duane

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 11:19 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
To make the most recent files more visible and just be tidy, I create each year a directory with the name of the previous year and move the files there for historical reference. E.g., I create a directory called 2021
I use a similar tactic, but move the files every month so only the latest are in the main directory.  Adds up to the same amount of time over the year, but only a little bit each month.

Duane

Glenn Glazer

On 01/30/2022 09:26, Duane wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 11:19 AM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
To make the most recent files more visible and just be tidy, I create each year a directory with the name of the previous year and move the files there for historical reference. E.g., I create a directory called 2021
I use a similar tactic, but move the files every month so only the latest are in the main directory.  Adds up to the same amount of time over the year, but only a little bit each month.

Duane

I can see that. Our group is used to referring to the previous minutes in the current meeting, so I'd probably wind up with a two month window instead. At that point, once is year takes less remembering.

Another approach that might help is being able to set the default sort.  If I have files named 202101, 202102... then being able to specify reverse alphabetical by name would cause the most recent files to be first, instead of several pages back.

Best,

Glenn

--
#calcare