moderated Pop up a banner when user attempts to upload to over-quota group #suggestion


Bruce Bowman
 

When a group has exceeded its storage allocation, clicking a photo or file upload button silently fails to work. It would be better if a banner popped up explaining why.

Thanks for your consideration,
Bruce


 

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 7:41 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
When a group has exceeded its storage allocation, clicking a photo or file upload button silently fails to work. It would be better if a banner popped up explaining why.

Good idea. This is what's shown now in Files (and a similar one in Photos).

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 9.36.21 AM.png
Thanks,
Mark 


Andy
 

Looks good.  The banner might also show how to contact the group's moderators, since the person who sees this has little or no control over freeing up space.

Speaking of which, does it also send a message to the moderators to let them know that an upload attempt failed and they must intervene?

Even better, maybe, it could have a button to bring the member directly to editing a message addressed to groupname+owner@groups.io, partially filled-in about the lack of space.  OK, maybe too much.

Andy


Bruce Bowman
 

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 12:51 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
This is what's shown now in Files (and a similar one in Photos).
Thanks Mark. I was originally thinking along the lines of a banner notice, but I like the alert box better.

Regards,
Bruce


Bruce Bowman
 

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 01:08 PM, Andy wrote:
The banner might also show how to contact the group's moderators, since the person who sees this has little or no control over freeing up space.
I agree that a mailto: link to the +owner address might be helpful here.

Keep in mind that individual members can still delete some of their own content, and free up space that way. It isn't always necessary for a group administrator to intervene.

Regards,
Bruce


Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 06:08 PM, Andy wrote:
does it also send a message to the moderators to let them know that an upload attempt failed and they must intervene?
There's already a Moderator notification for when storage limits are reached.

Regards
Andy