If a member is moderated, also moderatoe their photo uploads #suggestion

>>> J -- I would be very much in favor of adding more granularity to permissions (re: the thread Duane referred to from six years ago).

I also would like to see more options like this as they can be useful.  Maybe rename the "Posting Privileges" panel to " Message Posting Privileges" and add another panel below it, "Group Feature Privileges" or "Feature [Usage/Access] Privileges" and put the options in there.

Cheers,
Christos

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 10:24 AM, Bruce Bowman wrote:
can we at least agree to abandon the notion that it should apply to photo uploads only?
Absolutely. That's just what came up for my group in this one case. I don't allow members to upload files in my group anyway, for reasons similar to yours.

Bruce Bowman

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 07:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
Maybe it’s a slippery slope, but it’s one I think we should be sliding down. It seems like currently, moderated members still have too much carte blanche. These could be group options if necessary to appease some.
J -- I would be very much in favor of adding more granularity to permissions (re: the thread Duane referred to from six years ago).

I have several subscribers that need to upload material to the Files area. I would like to grant them that permission without giving it to everyone. As it is, I have to make them Moderators -- with all that entails -- and prohibit it for ordinary Members. It's proven rather clumsy in practice.

But unless I've misread something, that's not what you're asking for -- you asked the new material to go into moderation. "Moderating" uploads (and/or wiki entries or whatever) create a whole new level of difficulty. Do pending uploads count against your quota? How long are wiki drafts left in pending? How do you deal with two pending edits that conflict with each other? All these questions have to be answered.

All that aside, can we at least agree to abandon the notion that it should apply to photo uploads only? Too easy to circumvent...need to do it right or not do it at all.

Regards,
Bruce

Duane

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 06:29 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think it’s important.
May be more important for unrestricted groups, but would be good for restricted groups as well, especially when you run into a problem member as you did.

Duane

Thsnks, Duane (aka groups.io historian! 😊). I think it’s important.

On Jan 12, 2022, at 4:23 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 10:21 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think photo uploads by moderated members should be moderated.
This was asked for over 6 years ago, was added to the Trello list on Oct 24, 2016, and Mark even said it would happen eventually on Mar 3, 2017.

Maybe it’s a slippery slope, but it’s one I think we should be sliding down. It seems like currently, moderated members still have too much carte blanche. These could be group options if necessary to appease some.

On Jan 12, 2022, at 2:32 AM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 11:21 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I just had a problematic member who's on moderation upload a whole album of photos, complete with captions (or descriptions - whatever the term is here) containing inaccurate statements about veterinary medicine. I got the photo upload notification after the fact. I think photo uploads by moderated members should be moderated.
Just photos? What about file uploads? Participating in chats? Adding entries to a database or the wiki?

Generally, this notion seems like a slippery slope.

Regards,
Bruce

[...]

Correction: it's the photo-album description that needed to be edited.